Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1835cc with stripped threads
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1835cc with stripped threads Reply with quote

To seal case halfs, I use Permatex Aviation Sealer..Almost any non hardening sealer will do... You will get about 10 recommendations for different brand sealers shortly...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

For seal at base of cylinders, any good high heat RTV (silicone) only use the finest line (about same size bead as pencil lead) of sealer around cylinder base all you need to do is seal any microscopic imperfections left behind machining process...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835cc with stripped threads Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
To seal case halfs, I use Permatex Aviation Sealer..Almost any non hardening sealer will do... You will get about 10 recommendations for different brand sealers shortly...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

For seal at base of cylinders, any good high heat RTV (silicone) only use the finest line (about same size bead as pencil lead) of sealer around cylinder base all you need to do is seal any microscopic imperfections left behind machining process...

Dale

I do that too !!! Big fan of Permatex Aviation for decades now, removes from hands or surfaces with denatured alcohol or isopropyl alcohol. If I need to, I also put a small dab at top center of the cork valve cover gaskets.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
tekan1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835cc with stripped threads Reply with quote

Went to Oreilys and bought some. Ready to split case but do I have to remove the flywheel??
Very thankful for all of your guidance.... Don't want to make any mistakes that could have been avoided.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835cc with stripped threads Reply with quote

tekan1 wrote:
Went to Oreilys and bought some. Ready to split case but do I have to remove the flywheel??
Very thankful for all of your guidance.... Don't want to make any mistakes that could have been avoided.

Probably... its going to be easier to reseat seal or replace seal ....

Dale

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835cc with stripped threads Reply with quote

You do have to remove the pulley.
You don't have to remove the flywheel.
I would leave the flywheel, BUT, you have to be careful getting the rear seal in place and lightly round the corners of the split in the seal bore so that does not bite the seal, and dab some sealer by the split to seal that up and act as lube. just at the split, not all around the seal. These type of seals rather be dry mainly, or else they don't stick in place.

Or maybe i would remove it. maybe they didn't torque it, maybe they didn't lube the threads before torquing it. maybe the o-ring is ng, maybe the seal surface is rough. Engine building it's best to trust nobody, not even yourself!
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835cc with stripped threads Reply with quote

Do you locktite those at all? I discovered the same issue in my case when building my 1776

is a helicoil ok to use?

modok wrote:
tekan1 wrote:
modok wrote:
to save time.....the most practical solution to fix it with engine assembled is to make a special long reach tap, 9mm and make a special stud.
Or tap to 8mm STI and glue a time sert to the existing stud.

In the time it would take you to even think of doing it the easy way, you could have done it already the hard way. And of course there is also the option of just looking the other way, and NOT fixing it. A fine choice also.

Forgive my lack of knowledge, but what is meant by "Or tap to 8mm STI and glue a time sert to the existing stud."

The hole is too deep to install a helicoil or time-sert in any normally way, but with a time-sert it would be possible to thread the repair insert onto the stud, and thread it in there like that, once the hole is enlarged and tapped.
STI is what they call the odd size taps that are used with heli-coils and time sert kits.

I brainstormed about this for nearly an hour once, a fellow with the same problem wandered into the machine shop. I love a challenge but it is sure true the amount of time we wasted discussing it, could have nearly had it half done.......but he was ON A MISSION, you know. Got the idea in his head he was going to fix it without taking the engine apart even if it killed him. How did it turn out? I don't know. never saw him again. Perhaps it killed him Razz

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835cc with stripped threads Reply with quote

An easy way to say it is....I prefer to use time-sets BECAUSE you can use locktite with them, and run a tap through them.
You can't really do either of those things with helicoils.
heliciol is better than nothing, but I'd rather do something else. Consider using an 1/8 pipe plug, loctite the pipe plug in place and drill and tap it. Very slick. Time-serts have not become as popular because the KIT costs a ton, since it has the special facing tool and expander, but if you are clever you may find you don't need them. A dull tap can be an expander for instance, and the taps are the same as helicoils.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835cc with stripped threads Reply with quote

Believe Aircooled.net rents timesert tools if you are willing to place deposit...

Or there is something like this...

https://www.grainger.com/product/4ZE42?cm_mmc=PPC:...16025410:s

Dale

crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835cc with stripped threads Reply with quote

modok wrote:
An easy way to say it is....I prefer to use time-sets BECAUSE you can use locktite with them, and run a tap through them.
You can't really do either of those things with helicoils.
heliciol is better than nothing, but I'd rather do something else. Consider using an 1/8 pipe plug, loctite the pipe plug in place and drill and tap it. Very slick. Time-serts have not become as popular because the KIT costs a ton, since it has the special facing tool and expander, but if you are clever you may find you don't need them. A dull tap can be an expander for instance, and the taps are the same as helicoils.

Hmm. So tap the stripped hole for npt threads Loctite the plug in place then drill and tap for m8 1.25?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835cc with stripped threads Reply with quote

Correct
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1835cc with stripped threads Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Correct

Thanks.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: