Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where to LOCATE the transmission in a '71 Bus?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
timped2006
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Where to LOCATE the transmission in a '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Long story short, I'm doing an EJ22 swap in the '71. Just wondering if anyone can tell me how big the space should be between the top of the 002 tranny and the bottom of the firewall. I want the transmission to be in the right spot when I bolt up the new motor. Hope that makes sense. Thanks!
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to LOCATE the transmission in a '71 Bus? Reply with quote

I can't answer your question directly, but suggest bolting transmission up to new engine, and roll it up under there to check and modify clearances.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timped2006
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to LOCATE the transmission in a '71 Bus? Reply with quote

I see what you mean. I guess I'm just wondering if there's an exact place the trans is supposed to sit for proper shifting or is it just a matter of clearance?
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to LOCATE the transmission in a '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Well, IIRC there is a forward mount... and then there's a carrier that mounts with two long bolts above the starter, roughly 11 O'clock and 1 O'clock. These mounting locations pretty much dictate where the transmission lives. Seems kind of unwieldy to try to get placement measurements because the body of the bus and the case of the transmission don't really offer a bunch of nice flat or square places to set your measuring tools up, but if you took a bunch of time you could probably crawl under there and come up with something.

Just seems easier to shove the mass under there on a dolly and start modifying clearances as needed. Sort of a tedious process, but likely more efficient in the end. But you're not the first person to do this, so I imagine there is some more information out there that is waiting to be found. Sorry I could not offer anything better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timped2006
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to LOCATE the transmission in a '71 Bus? Reply with quote

I appreciate your input. Of course, the early Bays don't have a transmission crossmember like the late Bays. I'll probably just have to see where everything falls and make it work.
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Where to LOCATE the transmission in a '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Quote:
I'll probably just have to see where everything falls and make it work.

Don't be surprised after you "see where everything falls" that it already works and you don't have to "make it" do a thing. It's a "71 bus. Unlike the 72 and later there is not much adjustment to the drive train package. Fractions of an inch if any.

Just make sure that once the shift linkage is hooked up that the shift rod does not rub on the shift rod tube and the linkage moves freely. that's about it. Otherwise stop obsessing and bolt it in! Laughing
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Where to LOCATE the transmission in a '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be more important that the CV joints are lined up properly to the rear hubs?

Just asking because I may potentially face this as well.
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Where to LOCATE the transmission in a '71 Bus? Reply with quote

lightice wrote:
Wouldn't it be more important that the CV joints are lined up properly to the rear hubs?

Just asking because I may potentially face this as well.

Without getting into why. The short answer would be... Nope! Wink
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Where to LOCATE the transmission in a '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
timped2006
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to LOCATE the transmission in a '71 Bus? Reply with quote

Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: