Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What would you change about the design/engineering of a Beetle?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris913653
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:43 am    Post subject: What would you change about the design/engineering of a Beetle? Reply with quote

This topic pops into my mind from time to time and although I am by no means an engineer, nor even a qualified mechanic, I like to think about the possibilities of giving a beetle body and pan to an engineer, and seeing what they do to bring it up to date....

I think what I would try maybe is a type 3 flat engine up front( keeping it an ACVW), driving the rear wheels through a rear mounted transmission, rear fuel tank, so you could still have a small boot / trunk up front and one in the rear...
I'd also have more modern suspension at least upfront, to cope with the weight and a nicer ride.

The benefits of this in my mind would be a more stable ride at highway speeds given the extra weight at the front, you could also possible move the rear seats back an inch or two for better legroom..

I don't know, just a thought.

Some inspiration:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: What would you change about the design/engineering of a Beetle? Reply with quote

I'd do what VW did start with a clean sheet of paper. Throw away all the tooling for the previous design and offer little or no support to consumers. When do you reach the point of diminishing returns using 1930s technology? They probably put pen to paper looked at declining sales and pulled the plug. To answer your question more plainly build a small Japanese water cooled car that beats the VW in every category.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: What would you change about the design/engineering of a Beetle? Reply with quote

Not very inspirational, afaic. haha Wink

For me, the perfect evolution of the bug would involve nothing cosmetic past 1964, or in a pinch, 1967. However, the running gear would be updated to whatever that black bug with the roof rack in the much-posted video drifting around that airport-looking racetrack has. So most importantly, upped engine power, suspension that can handle it without the car rolling over, and the brakes to stop it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXyFsN7LniU

That's my ultimate Beetle, right there. Smile
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: What would you change about the design/engineering of a Beetle? Reply with quote

It already happened... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_911

ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: What would you change about the design/engineering of a Beetle? Reply with quote

Cup holder. Seriously, thats it. They'd probably still be fore sale in the USA had VW engineered a god damned cup holder.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Pez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: What would you change about the design/engineering of a Beetle? Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
Cup holder. Seriously, thats it. They'd probably still be fore sale in the USA had VW engineered a god damned cup holder.

Yup! Close thread.
sminton1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: What would you change about the design/engineering of a Beetle? Reply with quote

I drove mine to work yesterday. Had a cup of coffee in my hand when I walked out the door. Sat in the bug, now what??? A cup holder, end of story.......
sminton1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: What would you change about the design/engineering of a Beetle? Reply with quote

Also, with the work I have been doing on mine lately, stainless steel like Delorean used would have been nice. Rust does seem attracted to the bugs design.
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: What would you change about the design/engineering of a Beetle? Reply with quote

as of my '04 jetta the cup holders still were bad...they finally moved the handbrake over and put actual depressions in the console ....but they were front to back instead of side to side....so you cant get the rear cup out if the armrest is down....still 1000 percent better than the thing that unfolded out of the dash and hid the radio dial, and poured liquid into the radio and down into the cigarette lighter socket when you hit a bump or struggled to get the cup back into the spring loaded arm....
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: What would you change about the design/engineering of a Beetle? Reply with quote

The Germans resisted putting cup holders in their cars for a long time and when they finally started doing it, they were indeed flimsy afterthoughts.

I think the German mentality was that you are supposed to be focused on your driving and not eating or drinking. When you want to have a coffee, you pull off the road and enjoy a coffee at the rest stop. Laughing

Eventually they finally started putting proper cup holders in for the American market, but interestingly, if you look at the interior photos for a US vs. Euro market Golf, you will see the Euro market version has a little storage console where the cup holders go in the US version.
allamaabroad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: What would you change about the design/engineering of a Beetle? Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:

Seriously...I understand early models not having cup holders since we haven't always had drive thru.

As far as a design change, longer wheelbase for legroom and comfort, some modern safety features, and a bigger engine, but still aircooled please

2180 TW: CNC Panchitos, Beehives Done Right, Web 163, Ultralight Lifters, 1.3 Rockers, CSP Python, Custom Speeduino EFI Conversion with 40mm Throttle Bodies

Distributors are lame

I have a really hard time leaving things alone...

Innovative and affordable engine management systems and EFI conversions for your Vintage VW
Visit https://debbiesaircooled.com/
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: What would you change about the design/engineering of a Beetle? Reply with quote

inherent problem with an air cooled engine is not being able to maintain uniform combustion chamber temperatures....this results in hot spots that increase nox emissions, especially with lean fuel mixtures....so in today's world, you're never going to see another air cooled production car
Chris913653
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: What would you change about the design/engineering of a Beetle? Reply with quote

Would have been nice to have cup holders in the door panels or something.

The best thing I could come up with using a quick google search is these ones you shove in the ashtray hole:

http://chircoestore.com/vw-bug-cup-holder-ashtray-mounted-type-1-early-54-67.html
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: What would you change about the design/engineering of a Beetle? Reply with quote

Chris's description of front engine with RWD and rear transaxle sounds a lot like Porsche 924/944. A lot of the suspension goodies will swap into an IRS beetle too.

On modern VW's, I've had a MK5 Rabbit, MK6 and MK7 GTI. All have more cup holders than I know what to do with. 2 in the doors are big enough for a big-gulp or 32-oz Gatorade. 2 in the center big enough for large drinks + 2 for the rear seat.

Interestingly, the MK6 had another cup holder that was a perfect fit for a small Red-bull. The MK7, doesn't - presumably because Red-bull comes in larger sizes now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: What would you change about the design/engineering of a Beetle? Reply with quote

If you made the Beetle anything other than what it is it wouldn't be a Beetle - no changes required.

By the way what is it with cup holders, one shouldn't be drinking hot beverage while driving just like one should not be using a mobile phone in the hand while driving - both are dangerous activities
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: What would you change about the design/engineering of a Beetle? Reply with quote

sminton1 wrote:
I drove mine to work yesterday. Had a cup of coffee in my hand when I walked out the door. Sat in the bug, now what??? A cup holder, end of story.......

I hand it to my secretary while she drives.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: What would you change about the design/engineering of a Beetle? Reply with quote

I vote for no cosmetic changes! I love the look of them, 1970 and older!

What I would change is the tranny. One more gear would be great! Seems like I get on the freeway with no issues, but at 70mph, the engine is screaming. A 5th gear would be awesome, and allow maybe a cruising speed of 85!

That's it, I am happy with everything else!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: What would you change about the design/engineering of a Beetle? Reply with quote

Thats OK if the secretary holds your coffee while you drive, she can also feed you breakfast as well as other duties, just as long as you are concentrating on driving.
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: What would you change about the design/engineering of a Beetle? Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
The Germans resisted putting cup holders in their cars for a long time and when they finally started doing it, they were indeed flimsy afterthoughts.
I think the German mentality was that you are supposed to be focused on your driving and not eating or drinking. When you want to have a coffee, you pull off the road and enjoy a coffee at the rest stop. Laughing
Eventually they finally started putting proper cup holders in for the American market, but interestingly, if you look at the interior photos for a US vs. Euro market Golf, you will see the Euro market version has a little storage console where the cup holders go in the US version.

Probably I'll never understand that American need/urge/hype for cup holders...
But I'm willing to learn and will follow the discussion carefully! Laughing
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: What would you change about the design/engineering of a Beetle? Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:

I always chalked the no-cup holder thing in the bug up to just a sign of the times, even my folks' 75 Chevy wagon didn't have them, we had to use those cup holders that hooked over the door window lip.

If I saw any new car in any market nowadays with no cup holders it would seem awfully strange to me.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: