Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas heater operation without engine?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Gas heater operation without engine? Reply with quote

I was planning to get a BN4 for my 64. Thought it would be nice while camping to get the chill off without running the engine.

Been doing some research on what I will need and realize they were only designed to run with the engine.

Was there ever kits to allow them to run without the engine? Or another heater that would be correct for a 64 that didn't need the engine running?
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas heater operation without engine? Reply with quote

They can run without the engine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas heater operation without engine? Reply with quote

I have one. They have their own fan. Whoever told you they need the engine running was wrong.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas heater operation without engine? Reply with quote

BN-4's work fine without the engine running. A BN-2 has difficulty lighting unless the engine is running because it only has glow ignition and low voltage effects that, BN-4 has spark ignition so voltage isn't a problem.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas heater operation without engine? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
BN-4's work fine without the engine running. A BN-2 has difficulty lighting unless the engine is running because it only has glow ignition and low voltage effects that, BN-4 has spark ignition so voltage isn't a problem.

Thanks

I think I was getting mixed up between the BN2 and 4. I have a couple BN2s and was also reading about them... I remember reading the engine should be a high idle to start. Just went through the BN4 manual again and all's good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas heater operation without engine? Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Thought it would be nice while camping to get the chill off without running the engine.

Try to park such that the prevailing wind carries they exhaust away from you and that the wind doesn't shift during the night.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Gas heater operation without engine? Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
They can run without the engine.

x2

My 56 westy has a 57/58 Eberspacher. I have used it many times with engine off when camping in cold weather with frosts. I am very enthusiastic about this sweet accessory.
Rarely has a whiff of exhaust come in with the heater; I think someone was idling upwind of us, or a gust of wind blew the exhaust the wrong way. It is designed so the inlet is not drawing air from the outlet.
Generally the heater gets turned on to warm the bus up, then turned off. The bus warms up a lot.
It gets turned off before going to sleep.
Unfortunately to turn it on in the morning someone has to get out of bed as the control is by the drivers seat.

There was a light frost outside when I took this pic parked when camping:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

for various reasons I think the 57/58 version is better than the BN-4.
Though a friend with a BN-4 said they put an extra electric switch by the bed so the heater could be turned on easily. This would not be an option with an earlier heater which is only cable operated. They were planning for camping in Tonasket, where it could get chilly at night.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Gas heater operation without engine? Reply with quote

Thanks.

I hadn't thought of adding a switch near the bed. I will hide one somewhere when I install the cabinets.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: