Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beware - AA I-Beam Conn Rods
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Beware - AA I-Beam Conn Rods Reply with quote

I examined a set once and returned them. You'd think I would've learned my lesson....

Purchased a set of AA 5.325" VW journal I-beams for a good price. I pulled off the rod caps and discovered many little high spots from impact on the big end mating surfaces. I spent an hour dressing them up with a small file. After a good wipe down, and bearing install, I wet torqued the big ends down to 25 lbs-in and ran my dial bore gauge through. I'm averaging 2.147"; ~.0023" too big. The nos Kolbenshmidt German bearings are .020", so I need about 2.146"-2.148" I.D.

The conn rod I.D. without bearings installed are 2.277" average. Does anyone know what the big end I.D. is supposed to be without bearings? I had it written down. Just can't find it now.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware - AA I-Beam Conn Rods Reply with quote

Oh! Also, the bolt threads look crappy, like they can cut you if you run your finger around them. The 12-point hex looks brittle and rough. The counterbore for the cap's pins to go through is not smooth, and the tap job looks flaky. Like if I used a pic, I could break some pieces loose. The body of the rods are shot-peened, but look like they had all been banged-up from being together. The keyways are also rough. It seems they are either cutting too fast, or their tools are dull.

CB's Unitechs are almost perfect in-contrast. You can see scribe marks from the team running a bore gauge through them. Quality throughout, and for the same price! Too bad they don't have 5.325".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware - AA I-Beam Conn Rods Reply with quote

CB finishes all their rods in house and only use ARP bolts, pay a little more, but you get what you pay for.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware - AA I-Beam Conn Rods Reply with quote

When are you people going to learn? Anything China --- is CHINA! Laughing
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware - AA I-Beam Conn Rods Reply with quote

Rod housing spec is 2.2755-2.2763 for most bearings

it is very risky to remove any material from the parting surfaces as it will change the size and shape of the big end(yes even if it isn't flat).
I am not sure if your measurements are correct or not but but it is safe to assume the rods are NFG.
There is a number of things i dislike about them, and I don't recommend anybody buy them.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware - AA I-Beam Conn Rods Reply with quote

so what the aa price? the cb's are cheep ,I like the cb's, I did get a set of aa's brought to me a few years back for a knowit alls build....and they had the CB ground off the beam and re shot peened .you could still read the CB.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware - AA I-Beam Conn Rods Reply with quote

CBs and AAs are the exact same price: $100. I have a few new sets of CB Unitechs on my shelf, but I want to still run these. They just likely need regrinding.

Modok, I only removed the high spots on the edges with a tiny file, like the ones used for points. I did not disturb the flat surface. I measured many times. My tools are all calibrated. I can't see where I could be measuring them wrong.

Hey, Silverline bearings tend to run large, right? I may be able to take up the slack with those...🤔
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware - AA I-Beam Conn Rods Reply with quote

just recon them. if there big you can just serface the cap and get it where you want it...if your good and know what your doing.ive seen many rods effed up by a moron that thinks he was reconditioning them. you cant fix stupid. most new rods do have some shit hanging off of them or crap under the caps.just another part of building properly.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware - AA I-Beam Conn Rods Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:

Modok, I only removed the high spots on the edges with a tiny file, like the ones used for points.

ah, ok, good. it is very good knock down sharp edges. Even put a little bevel on the inside so the bearings don't get SCRAPED on the way in.

Wasn't sure what was meant by "dressing", and high spots. Lets get high, head over to the spot and have some italian dressing. yeah that sounds like fun.

The problem is if the rods are over size, there probably won't be enough crush.
If your measurements are spot-on, then just need to know the bearing thickness and the crush can be estimated. Std is .055 I think, and most brands are.
have a ball end mic? or a ball bearing and some tape?
so far, bearing is .0005 big, housning .001 big.....means you undertightened the BOLTS! (best guess based on limited info available, no warranty expressed or implied)

I've done what Mark is saying a few times, sometimes it worked sometimes not. The trouble is the rod really does change the ID if you change the shape or even surface finish of the parting surface, and a lot of times it isn't anywhere near flat to begin with. If it's curvd, and you cut it flat.....it just gets weird. NICE rods the surfaces will be very near flat but cheapo and production rods....not so. They make them no better than they need to be and do they need to be flat? well no, actually. a rough milled surface sith some push off is good enough. A trick I use is I'll grind it, then sand it on my big old block a bit BEFORE re-sizing, then if I want to cheat after the fact and tighten it up I can lap it x number of strokes and do so. It's hard to get a cap grinder to repeat, especially on main caps but rods too. Last set of VW rods I did I had to go through about 5 sets to get one set. ALL manner of dysfunction. Parting surface cut crooked on belt sander resulting in big end ID out of square with the sides, parting surface ground on some DULL stone with a ton of push-off, so far from flat I'd have to take .004 off it just to get it to clean. Didn't chamfer the hole after grinding and peeled metal off the bolt. Some too short. Pin bushings bore too big. Bent. Too light. too heavy. pin bushings galled on the way in, seam in the wrong place. It was a comedy of error. I even showed the new guy because it was just handy having all of what "not to do" so clearly illustrated in one job.

why 25 ft-lb? That's part of your problem. What size is the bolt? I know they don't use the FULL torque the bolts are capable of but 25 ft-lb would only be right for 5/16 bolts or 9mm bolt/nut setup. Too low. Should say on the box what the torque is.
I remember well the set I bough, needed a 11.5mm socket, but the torque was....32? maybe
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware - AA I-Beam Conn Rods Reply with quote

modok wrote:
bugguy1967 wrote:

Modok, I only removed the high spots on the edges with a tiny file, like the ones used for points.

ah, ok, good. it is very good knock down sharp edges. Even put a little bevel on the inside so the bearings don't get SCRAPED on the way in.

Wasn't sure what was meant by "dressing", and high spots. Lets get high, head over to the spot and have some italian dressing. yeah that sounds like fun.

If your measurements are spot-on, then just need to know the bearing thickness and the crush can be estimated. Std is .055 I think, and most brands are.
so far, bearing is .0005 big, housning .001 big.....means you undertightened the BOLTS! (best guess based on limited info available, no warranty expressed or implied)

I've done what Mark is saying a few times, sometimes it worked sometimes not. The trouble is the rod really does change the ID if you change the shape or even surface finish of the parting surface, and a lot of times it isn't anywhere near flat to begin with. If it's curvd, and you cut it flat.....it just gets weird. NICE rods the surfaces will be very near flat but cheapo and production rods....not so. They make them no better than they need to be and do they need to be flat? well no, actually. a rough milled surface sith some push off is good enough. A trick I use is I'll grind it, then sand it on my big old block a bit BEFORE re-sizing, then if I want to cheat after the fact and tighten it up I can lap it x number of strokes and do so. It's hard to get a cap grinder to repeat, especially on main caps but rods too. Last set of VW rods I did I had to go through about 5 sets to get one set. ALL manner of dysfunction. Parting surface cut crooked on belt sander resulting in big end ID out of square with the sides, parting surface ground on some DULL stone with a ton of push-off, so far from flat I'd have to take .004 off it just to get it to clean. Didn't chamfer the hole after grinding and peeled metal off the bolt. Some too short. Pin bushings bore too big. Bent. Too light. too heavy. pin bushings galled on the way in, seam in the wrong place. It was a comedy of error. I even showed the new guy because it was just handy having all of what "not to do" so clearly illustrated in one job.

why 25 ft-lb? That's part of your problem. What size is the bolt? I know they don't use the FULL torque the bolts are capable of but 25 ft-lb would only be right for 5/16 bolts or 9mm bolt/nut setup. Too low. Should say on the box what the torque is.
I remember well the set I bough, needed a 11.5mm socket, but the torque was....32? maybe

Alot of great info that is usefull to any builder out there.thank you Glen. Good point regarding the rod bolt torque. Much better then the "your dumb cause you bought something made in China" lol.

Tabari, good catch. I think many people would have missed it and threw it together.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware - AA I-Beam Conn Rods Reply with quote

Modok, I wasn't sure what the torque was, because AA's packaging is plain. No spec was given, but I'll contact the CEO tomorrow about torque. Maybe that'll get me in spec. The bolt's head is 7/16" 12-point. Can't remember if they were 5/16" or 3/8".
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware - AA I-Beam Conn Rods Reply with quote

Hey Jeff! I know people that assemble a lot of engines with these and never had an issue, according to them. And they're not checking anything!
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware - AA I-Beam Conn Rods Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
Hey Jeff! I know people that assemble a lot of engines with these and never had an issue, according to them. And they're not checking anything!

Good one!!!
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware - AA I-Beam Conn Rods Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
Modok, I wasn't sure what the torque was, because AA's packaging is plain. No spec was given, but I'll contact the CEO tomorrow about torque. Maybe that'll get me in spec. The bolt's head is 7/16" 12-point. Can't remember if they were 5/16" or 3/8".

Sticker fell off I bet.
If the socket fir the bolts at least that's... some improvement!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Beware - AA I-Beam Conn Rods Reply with quote

modok wrote:
bugguy1967 wrote:

You are 100% correct. Those are supposed to be torqued to 32ft/lbs and that will absolutely affect the size of the big end.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Beware - AA I-Beam Conn Rods Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:

Even a blind man can hit the dart board occasionally
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Beware - AA I-Beam Conn Rods Reply with quote

The arp bolts on the AA rods are soft. Careful what you torque them to. I thought I felt one stretch when I was torqing to 35. Real arp bolts can torque pretty high.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware - AA I-Beam Conn Rods Reply with quote

jfats808 wrote:
The arp bolts on the AA rods are soft. Careful what you torque them to. I thought I felt one stretch when I was torqing to 35. Real arp bolts can torque pretty high.

I used these in an engine I built for my friend, the 5.5 length ones because CB didn't have any Unitechs in 5.5 at that time. I torqued them to 30 ft lbs, I remember reading that the bolts are weaker than stock studs and nuts.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware - AA I-Beam Conn Rods Reply with quote

china arp bolts....assole rong pong bolt company.... the first set of cb unis i got way back in...02 the nuts were junk, drilled offset and uppon torqueing they cracked befor reaching final torque...the bolts were afu from shot peen and gaulding due to the cap& rod not being chamfered at all any where (bolt holes) and just a shity bolt design. the last few sets Ive used were great.and that first set is in my 2028 with pioneer nuts from some itcheypussy mopar engine.they have well over 120000 miles as they were in my 1874 cc motor first (78.8x87) and have had oh so many zinngers on a daily basis... a good few today too.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware - AA I-Beam Conn Rods Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
I examined a set once and returned them. You'd think I would've learned my lesson....

Purchased a set of AA 5.325" VW journal I-beams for a good price. I pulled off the rod caps and discovered many little high spots from impact on the big end mating surfaces. I spent an hour dressing them up with a small file. After a good wipe down, and bearing install, I wet torqued the big ends down to 25 lbs-in and ran my dial bore gauge through. I'm averaging 2.147"; ~.0023" too big. The nos Kolbenshmidt German bearings are .020", so I need about 2.146"-2.148" I.D.

The conn rod I.D. without bearings installed are 2.277" average. Does anyone know what the big end I.D. is supposed to be without bearings? I had it written down. Just can't find it now.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Return Shit parts to vendor.
The best way to insure we all don't get shitty parts is to ALWAYS RETURN SHITTY PARTS.
Vendors will not buy parts that they loose money on.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: