Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do you quiet a poptop?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:51 am    Post subject: How do you quiet a poptop? Reply with quote

I have an '87 poptop that is very noisy above 45 mph. Most of the noise is from wind and airflow. Is there anything I can do, other than headphones or earplugs, to make driving at freeway speeds more bearable?

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: How do you quiet a poptop ? Reply with quote

Is it the pop top part or the luggage carrier making the noise?

Mine, above 40 MPH, the front lip of the carrier begins to vibrate/Rattle making a horrid noise!

I pulled off the highway, picked up a stick, about 1/2" in diameter and wedged it under the top lip. It's been quiet for years now.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I am in the process of taking off the luggage carrier to clean under it and plan on filing out the screw holes to become slots.
I will then sit in the carrier as I tighten the screws compressing the front tighter to the roof, hopefully enough to stop that horrible vibration!!

If this doesn't work, sticks are common and quite cheap!

The rest of the pop top I've not noticed any noises aside from the roof vent rattling at times, a piece of cardboard wedged in stopped that. I recently installed a screen which I hope will stop the vibration as well as bugs.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: How do you quiet a poptop ? Reply with quote

I've also seen, but cannot locate, a photo showing a fiberglass cover over the recessed luggage rack. I would imagine that this totally changes the airflow over that rack.

FOUND IT!!!! (have I mentioned that I HATE PHOTOBUCKET!!! )

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482687

another......

https://shufti.blog/2016/08/24/vanagon-westy-luggage-rack-mod/

Someone has also done extensive testing on Vanagon wind noise, putting an air dam on the entire front, covering rain gutters, etc all in an effort to cut down on wind noise.
It's on here somewhere, just eluding me right now.
It ended up quite FUGLY though.......

It took some searching! but I found it......

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=660949&highlight=wind

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: How do you quiet a poptop ? Reply with quote

That is the Westfalia roof spoiler that was standard on the late model California and Atlantic. You could also order a sun roof with it.

It is the exact setup I have on my Multivan syncro.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: How do you quiet a poptop ? Reply with quote

The luggage rack causes a huge amount of wind noise. I notice that if I have a roof bag in there that is flush with the top of the rack then the noise is much less. I have often thought of doing a DIY cover for the rack.....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: How do you quiet a poptop ? Reply with quote

I've seen lots of comments about the front luggage rack being noisy over here on Vanagons but do not recall similar comments on the Bus side.

I wonder if that is because the motors are so damn noisy people don't notice the luggage rack/wind noise? Or the design/shape is just different enough that it is less of an issue? Or maybe because the tie downs are lower in the rack, and therefore more difficult to use to attach a flat panel? Hmm

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: How do you quiet a poptop ? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Is it the pop top part or the luggage carrier making the noise? ... Dave

I think that the luggage carrier is making most of the wind noise. I saw the photos with the top faired with plywood or other material and that seems like a first step in noise reduction. What materials, that would withstand the elements, other than plywood could be used?

Aloha
tp
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: How do you quiet a poptop ? Reply with quote

A member here put sound deadening material (Fatmat?) on the ceiling under the headliner. Said it drastically reduced cabin noise.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: How do you quiet a poptop ? Reply with quote

The cover for the luggage area seems like it should be an item available, made by someone like 10C, or etc. on the classifieds... Its remarkable that it hasn't happened yet. I'd vote for a rubber seal under the lip, and easy clamps at the rear, also sealed against wind/water.

In response to the issue about the Bay, the luggage rack is in the back.

Yet another idea from another version of the Type 2... the T4 has a rubber lip in front of the Westy top. I didn't like the look of it when I bought my '03 in '03, but I DID like the lack of wind and rain penetration. I'd guess that there could be an adaption of the rubber damn from the T4 part to put on the T3... Not at all sure of an aftermarket product on that. Yet another idea for entrepreneurs for the classifieds.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: How do you quiet a poptop ? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
The cover for the luggage area seems like it should be an item available, made by someone like 10C, or etc. on the classifieds... Its remarkable that it hasn't happened yet. I'd vote for a rubber seal under the lip, and easy clamps at the rear, also sealed against wind/water.

In response to the issue about the Bay, the luggage rack is in the back.

Yet another idea from another version of the Type 2... the T4 has a rubber lip in front of the Westy top. I didn't like the look of it when I bought my '03 in '03, but I DID like the lack of wind and rain penetration. I'd guess that there could be an adaption of the rubber damn from the T4 part to put on the T3... Not at all sure of an aftermarket product on that. Yet another idea for entrepreneurs for the classifieds.

In 1974 the pop-top flipped with the hinge at the very back and roof rack at the front.

The same design as a Vanagon Westy for the roof.

In 1976 they changed the interior layout to a design that was more or less carried over into Vanagon Westys.

I have a '78 that is as noisy as any other Van/Bus but I haven't sat there thinking the noise was coming from the luggage rack. However, it is perfectly plausible that there is noise coming from the rack but it is being drowned out by other noise, or just "mixing" with the other noise as a terrible melody.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: How do you quiet a poptop ? Reply with quote

I have a 1991 Vanagon Westfalia camper with the typical luggage carrier on top.

For the carrier itself, it is less noisy at speed when I have a small load up there in a Vanobag.

I have also put FatMat on a small area of the inside of the sheet metal body underneath the luggage carrier. That has helped turn what is normally a big timpani drum into an acoustically dead piece of sheet metal. You have to remove the headliner panel in order to do that work and you only need to cover a small percentage of the total sheet metal surface area to gain the intended deadening effect.

I also have one of those low pile carpet dash pads sold by GoWesty to help keep noise down (and it helps with other things too).

It goes without saying that noise reduction of that variety assumes you have already gone to the trouble of replacing all of your door and window seals, deadening the sheet metal behind the entire nose of the van (under the dash), in all the doors, and in all the large spaces (behind the galley), and have all your carpet installed with insulation (soft surfaces in the van will reduce reflected noise and keep bright noises down).

Too often I see folks complaining about how noisy their vans are, and they are driving around with ABS panels and hard rubber floor mats, with 25+ year old seals and no sheet metal deadening. And knobby tires. No wonder their ears are always ringing. You really need to work hard to bring down the noise level in a T3/Vanagon.

There are spans of sheet metal under the seats that transfer road/tire noise to the cabin and those must be deadened as well.

Believe it or not, even having curtains (and keeping them drawn) can help keep noise down.

For the poptop itself, there's not a lot to be done to make it quieter. Everyone here has probably seen that photo of the T3 in a wind tunnel:

The Westfalia luggage rack creates a lot of odd airflow behind its leading edge, which will generate noise.

Keep the flocking in good shape, get new seals (I think someone out there is selling an extra fat seal for better noise suppression) and make sure your skylight is properly maintained. If you have solar panels on your roof that might make things worse or better depending on air gaps behind the panels, the size of their leading and trailing edges, and how they are installed. If you have roof racks, you will have low howling.

Summary: for noise suppression, deaden the sheet metal panels, keep and/or increase soft/carpeted surfaces in the interior, replace all window/door seals, reduce or eliminate irregularities on the roof, fill or cover the luggage rack void, find quiet tires, and of course know your intake and exhaust plumbing well enough to understand how it contributes to the overall noise profile.

kourt

Last edited by kourt on Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: How do you quiet a poptop ? Reply with quote

I noticed on a trip to Phoenix last week that my top also makes a bunch of noise. For me it's the pop section flexing in the wind. I literally thought something had attached to my roof and was whipping around.

This one trip through the Midwest I was caught in a tornado like wind and my top popped. Shocked
All my gear took flight. Luckily we had a quick thinking hitchhiker on board. He grabbed the handle (73 camper) and hung on it till we found an over pass to hide below.
Poptops are precarious

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you quiet a poptop ? Reply with quote

A big problem I see is the silly ram air opening that funnels 65mph wind directly into the dash. I've never driven another car where shutting off the fresh air fan doesn't stop airflow to the dash vents. If there was a baffle covering the inlet it would help a lot. Sure you can close the vents but that high speed air should not be in the cab to begin with.
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you quiet a poptop ? Reply with quote

I have one of the optional front roof sections, sometimes referred to as the "fang" BenT is investigating have a mold made.
As I understand it there is supposed to enough space on the black edge trim to allow water drainage and drying between the roof and the luggage rack.
I have been toying with "air tabs" and other small turbulator type devices for the last couple of years. The placement and results have been a bit counter intuitive to say the least but progress is being made.

Last edited by dgbeatty on Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you quiet a poptop ? Reply with quote

The ram air does not add noise that I can discern. The vast majority is from the luggage rack and door seals.....

The Western Syncro build
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you quiet a poptop ? Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
The ram air does not add noise that I can discern. The vast majority is from the luggage rack and door seals.....

I think this varies by year. On my 85, there is always ambient air at the side vents. I suspect later vans with the revised air vents could be much better. I know opening and closing the side vents changes the sound level in my van a lot.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you quiet a poptop ? Reply with quote

Side vents on my '87 are also independent of the other vents. Must mean that I am much noisier in general then yours. 😜😜

The Western Syncro build
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you quiet a poptop? Reply with quote

While driving 1100 miles last weekend I spent some time contemplating wind noise. Looking at the wind tunnel pics above, I wonder how much the under bumper spoiler helps.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: How do you quiet a poptop? Reply with quote

While I had my '68 Westy I had removed all the door seals for paint. Then I came up with a good deal on firewood so I drove to get the firewood.
It was incredibly noisey so much so that I stopped and taped over all the door seams with masking tape which became quieter then having the rubber door seals in place. No brainer on that one.
I have always preferred the rear mounted luggage area of the older air cooled Westy's because of the noise created by placing it in front.

If you want proof - make a good fitting cover out of cardboard to fit the luggage rack and tape it down sealing all the edges.

If you really want to see the aerodynamics of the body buy a roll of yarn and a few rolls of blue tape. Cut the yarn into 6" pieces and tape it the yarn down a few inches apart going from going from the lower sill to the roof line. Each of the rows of tape should be about 6" behind the one starting in the front of it so that you can see the yarn flap in the wind. You can try to do the whole roof if your arms were long enough to reach across! You should be able to get the luggage rack and the leading edge of the poptop easy enough since you can stand in the doors to reach across.

Essentially it is now a rolling wind tunnel experiment. I think you would only have to do from the front back to the "B" pillar and from the "C" pillar back to the rear. One thing it would do would answer the discussion about air going into the engine cooling vents at speed.

Get somebody to video you as you go down the road if they can stop laughing long enough to aim the camera!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: How do you quiet a poptop? Reply with quote

Regarding the yarn test above.
It would be interesting to see the effect of the side mirrors sticking straight out and folded back, vent windows open or closed etc., etc.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: