Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

MK1 MPG build need your input,please reread,I edited my post
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwsparts.com
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: MK1 MPG build need your input,please reread,I edited my post Reply with quote

I would like some input from the real builders/drivers/owners of gen 1 rabbits, I used to build VWs but then the purpose was make them faster, Now the goal is mpg. I moved to the country years ago and everywhere I go is 100 miles or more round trip. I know switch to 14's and lrr tires. I have an 83 caddy that does not run, I have several engines and transmissions to pick from, I just want to hear the results of your combinations to help me make my decision. I have several transmissions 4speed, 5 speed,and auto laying in the shop to pick from I have a 1500 a 1600 an 1800 and a 1600d I have zenith 2bbl and manifold,weber 32/36, weber dcoe,84 rabbit 1bbl carter weber, cis and digifant need to balance work involved vs real world drivabilty and mpg. thanks. Actually kinda leaning towards 1600cc, 1bbl, 4speed OD trans

Edit; I have all this stuff laying around want to use some of it up make a low buck beater truck and save a few bucks on gas in the process. I have hyper miled toyotas and festivas I know my basic fuel saving tips and tricks.I am not going to hyper mile this, I am not even going to rebuild these engines or transmissions I saved them because they were good whenI pulled them to save them, might do rings rod brgs and cam swap but really trying to stay low buck stupid/simple.Don't really want to go diesel but it is an option. Please tell me your real life results with similiar components for example I am not going to go to the trouble to swap to Digi if you only picked up 1 mpg when you did your digi swap,etc. . Thanks

Last edited by vwsparts.com on Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:01 am; edited 2 times in total
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: MK1 MPG build need your input,please Reply with quote

My last Rabbit was getting over 30mpg while cruising at 80-84mph. It made about 95whp at a local dyno. I had a 8:1CR 1.8L w/ the big valve head on it. I had a 4-2-1 header and a Bosal exhaust that was not quite 2" diameter. The "G" grind cam had a better "combined" mpg, but the bigger cam(276 or a 280, I can't remember) did better on the hwy a cruise for mpg. I had the tall ratio 5speed in it w/ 175/70-13 tires. AND it was MegaSquirted so I could dial in more timing at cruise loads/rpms and lean it out there too.

My next motor was going to another 1.8L block w/ 10:1CR and a crossflow head from a mkIII. With a ported mkIV intake manifold, same cam, same tranny same car. Was shooting for 100+whp and better mpg's. Pretty confident it would've delivered, but it was totaled by a dumbass that rear-ended me while I was waiting for traffic to move.

With the 95whp motor, the car could tow our mkIII on a tow dolly no problem, I was never wanting for power/motivation up a long 6% grade I traveled on occasion ( I even passed a fire truck going up that grade, not knowing it was a fire truck going to a vehicle fire). It would start in below freezing temps w/o needing to touch the gas pedal (thanks to a well tuned MS).
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: MK1 MPG build need your input,please Reply with quote

Its the same old story when it comes to any engine when it comes to mpg.

1: drive slow 50/60mph to get better mpg.

2: how many $'s do you want to spend on engine mods to have to drive thousands of miles to to get it back in fuel savings?

simple answer is TD engine and 5 speed box
(or gear it so it runs your desired cruise speed at peak TQ is 4th or 5th)

light 15" wheels and low rolling resistance tyres. max pressure 165/60/15

I have a 74 1500 (just putting it back on the road so no real mpg figures yet) but vw brochure says 33.2mpg imp/uk gallon, 50mph 47.8mpg / 60mph 40.2 mpg.

I just put an AEM fuel air ratio gauge in it yesterday as I am interested to see how well the solex carb meters fuel.
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: MK1 MPG build need your input,please Reply with quote

put a modern turbo diesel in it.. get more power & 40-50 mpg.. buy a wrecked car... and you set..
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: MK1 MPG build need your input,please Reply with quote

Get a '96/97 Passat TDI donor car & swap the driveline from that. That was the last year that would "easily" be adaptable, they had the tallest final drives that were geared for the smaller diameter wheels on the rabbit.

I currently have a 03 ALH TDI with a '97 Passat TDI trans stuffed in my 77 rabbit.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: MK1 MPG build need your input,please Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Get a '96/97 Passat TDI donor car & swap the driveline from that. That was the last year that would "easily" be adaptable, they had the tallest final drives that were geared for the smaller diameter wheels on the rabbit.

I currently have a 03 ALH TDI with a '97 Passat TDI trans stuffed in my 77 rabbit.

And what kinda gas mileage ?
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: MK1 MPG build need your input,please Reply with quote

vwjetboat wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

rated at about 45mpg/US peak TQ @1900rpm Shocked

or a 89/91 mk2 golf 1.6TD

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Golf_Mk2
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: MK1 MPG build need your input,please Reply with quote

Maybe I'm missing something, but the poster is looking for 'GAS' mileage and wants to use CIS, carb, or Digifant. I do not see how this is possible using a diesel engine.

I would use the 1500, high compression pistons, Digifant [with a custom chip], and the transmission with the lowest ratio that you have. Skinny tires and remove all the stuff in the car you do not need. Install the rain gutter defectors too.

If were looking for maximum efficiency, then converting it to hybrid.
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: MK1 MPG build need your input,please Reply with quote

Butcher wrote:
Maybe I'm missing something, but the poster is looking for 'GAS' mileage and wants to use CIS, carb, or Digifant. I do not see how this is possible using a diesel engine.

I would use the 1500, high compression pistons, Digifant [with a custom chip], and the transmission with the lowest ratio that you have. Skinny tires and remove all the stuff in the car you do not need. Install the rain gutter defectors too.

If were looking for maximum efficiency, then converting it to hybrid.

it is going to peek at a certain point and he will want more.. and then the motor blows.. he can only get so much out of it without spending a ton of money in electronics to go stand alone and understand how to map it.. turn it.. and by the time he is done.. he still will not have the power / mpg he can get out of a tuned TDI for half as much
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: MK1 MPG build need your input,please Reply with quote

OK.. btw guys.. ever here of the 101 gas mileage seminar ? i haven't in 35 years .. but it cost 75 bucks.. was a few hrs long got a paperback book with all kinds of instructions and ways to ATOMIZE the gas .. and they even had a big ol Cadillac in parking lot that got like 90 something mpg.. I chit you not.. it was all about heating the gas to a perfect temperature right before it goes down the intake basically as a vapor.. fully atomized ..

I never really tried but one .. heating a copper coil with heater core bypass .. i got worse mileage.. but i was like 18 or 19
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: MK1 MPG build need your input,please Reply with quote

vwjetboat wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

I could coerce 62 MPG out of it.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: MK1 MPG build need your input,please reread,I edited my post Reply with quote

vwsparts.com wrote:
I would like some input from the real builders/drivers/owners of gen 1 rabbits, I used to build VWs but then the purpose was make them faster, Now the goal is mpg. I moved to the country years ago and everywhere I go is 100 miles or more round trip. I know switch to 14's and lrr tires. I have an 83 caddy that does not run, I have several engines and transmissions to pick from, I just want to hear the results of your combinations to help me make my decision. I have several transmissions 4speed, 5 speed,and auto laying in the shop to pick from I have a 1500 a 1600 an 1800 and a 1600d I have zenith 2bbl and manifold,weber 32/36, weber dcoe,84 rabbit 1bbl carter weber, cis and digifant need to balance work involved vs real world drivabilty and mpg. thanks. Actually kinda leaning towards 1600cc, 1bbl, 4speed OD trans

Edit; I have all this stuff laying around want to use some of it up make a low buck beater truck and save a few bucks on gas in the process. I have hyper miled toyotas and festivas I know my basic fuel saving tips and tricks.I am not going to hyper mile this, I am not even going to rebuild these engines or transmissions I saved them because they were good whenI pulled them to save them, might do rings rod brgs and cam swap but really trying to stay low buck stupid/simple.Don't really want to go diesel but it is an option. Please tell me your real life results with similiar components for example I am not going to go to the trouble to swap to Digi if you only picked up 1 mpg when you did your digi swap,etc. . Thanks

Digi is going to be old and pain in the ass, I think y "1500cc, 2bbl, 4speed OD trans" sound like a good choice from your parts. skim the head and boost the compression to 9 to1, fluff and buff the head ports and inlet manifold, free flow exhaust is you have one. and I would use the weber 32/36 so it can cruise on the 32.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: MK1 MPG build need your input,please Reply with quote

vwjetboat wrote:
OK.. btw guys.. ever here of the 101 gas mileage seminar ? i haven't in 35 years .. but it cost 75 bucks.. was a few hrs long got a paperback book with all kinds of instructions and ways to ATOMIZE the gas .. and they even had a big ol Cadillac in parking lot that got like 90 something mpg.. I chit you not..

A quick way to loose $75. If you believe that story, then you probably believe the 100mpg carburetor and cow magnets too.

There is only so much energy in a gallon of gas. If you can harness all the energy out of the gas, then you'll be rich. A piston driven engine only uses about 30% of the energy that gas has. Find the lost 70% and you will be rich. Sadly, most of the heat goes out the tail pipe and cooling system.
vwsparts.com
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: MK1 MPG build need your input,please reread,I edited my post Reply with quote

I didn't want to be the first one to fan the flames on the 100 mpg bigfoot mystery carb. But you can only go so lean, I think around 15:1 and then it is too lean to light ,honda had the cvcc motors so lean they had to have a seperate precombustion chamber and an auxilary intake valve, they would light off a tiny rich mixture in the precombustion chamber and it would light off the too lean to light with a spark plug intake charge. Another factor in too lean,is heat,preignition,and usually a new piston or two, remember your oxy acetelene torch cuts when you throw in the extra 02 some times I would kill the gas altogether and cut with just O2 once my piece was up to temp, Thanks everyone for your input on my project, keep the ideas heading my way one of you just might think of something the rest of us have overlooked!
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: MK1 MPG build need your input,please reread,I edited my post Reply with quote

Not true, I had my MS tuned for 17:1 to 18:1 in the cruising load range, it needed more timing advance there, but with a good coil (I was using a mkIII coil minus ignitor as I had a MSD box triggering the coil). And these motors have a decent combustion chamber and plenty of cooling for the head. I was also running a euro oilfilter flange w/ built in thermostat that went to (surprisingly) an oil cooler that looked like it came right out of the dog house on an ACVW. And I had also fitted the oil "warmer" from a later VW to help warm the oil in cooler weather.
vwsparts.com
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: MK1 MPG build need your input,please reread,I edited my post Reply with quote

ps2375 wrote:
Not true, I had my MS tuned for 17:1 to 18:1 in the cruising load range, it needed more timing advance there, but with a good coil (I was using a mkIII coil minus ignitor as I had a MSD box triggering the coil). And these motors have a decent combustion chamber and plenty of cooling for the head. I was also running a euro oilfilter flange w/ built in thermostat that went to (surprisingly) an oil cooler that looked like it came right out of the dog house on an ACVW. And I had also fitted the oil "warmer" from a later VW to help warm the oil in cooler weather.

That is awesome!Yea I honestly don't remember the actual ratio that it gets to lean to light but now I know I can run 17/18:1 man didn't rule of thumb used to be 14:1 for economy 12:1 on hotrod stuff?Of coarse my hotrod stuff was in the 70s and 80s But the too lean condition was why honda went to the cumbustion chamber pre chamber and aux valve.
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: MK1 MPG build need your input,please reread,I edited my post Reply with quote

vwsparts.com wrote:
ps2375 wrote:

That is awesome!Yea I honestly don't remember the actual ratio that it gets to lean to light but now I know I can run 17/18:1 man didn't rule of thumb used to be 14:1 for economy 12:1 on hotrod stuff?Of coarse my hotrod stuff was in the 70s and 80s But the too lean condition was why honda went to the cumbustion chamber pre chamber and aux valve.

Most FI tuners shoot for 14.7 cruise and 12.5(not over 13) for power these days maybe 12 for power on a turbo petrol engine.

If you have a powerful ignition spark, a good fast burn combustion chamber, and index the plugs so they all point towards the intake valve you can as you say 17/18 cruise.

But each cylinder runs differently so unless you can monitor the fuel air ratio or egt (expensive) it will be dangerous ground. Confused https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lean-burn
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: MK1 MPG build need your input,please reread,I edited my post Reply with quote

krusher wrote:

Most FI tuners shoot for 14.7 cruise and 12.5(not over 13) for power these days maybe 12 for power on a turbo petrol engine.

If you have a powerful ignition spark, a good fast burn combustion chamber, and index the plugs so they all point towards the intake valve you can as you say 17/18 cruise.

But each cylinder runs differently so unless you can monitor the fuel air ratio or egt (expensive) it will be dangerous ground. Confused https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lean-burn

And just glancing over that article, everything there was far beyond even 18:1. I don't see the point. My system was set for power when needed with 12-13:1 AFR's at higher throttle loads and RPM's and 14-15:1 for off idle loads and 17-18:1 at those very specific part throttle/RPM areas for hwy steady-state cruising between 75-85mph. The car did it from one end of the state to the other for hours on end.

And the reason for a 14.7:1 ratio on most modern cars is for the catalytic convertor, they don't do well in a fuel rich environment.
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: MK1 MPG build need your input,please reread,I edited my post Reply with quote

ps2375 wrote:
krusher wrote:

And just glancing over that article, everything there was far beyond even 18:1. I don't see the point. My system was set for power when needed with 12-13:1 AFR's at higher throttle loads and RPM's and 14-15:1 for off idle loads and 17-18:1 at those very specific part throttle/RPM areas for hwy steady-state cruising between 75-85mph. The car did it from one end of the state to the other for hours on end.

And the reason for a 14.7:1 ratio on most modern cars is for the catalytic convertor, they don't do well in a fuel rich environment.

what do you not see the point of? their saving gas with as lean a mix as possible.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: MK1 MPG build need your input,please reread,I edited my post Reply with quote

krusher wrote:
what do you not see the point of? their saving gas with as lean a mix as possible.

Your statement before the link. I pretty much have to have a WB to run MS and to know what AFR's I'm getting, but I don't have 4. And I was nowhere near as lean as many of those examples are.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: