Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Story of a Type 3
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mylesvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Story of a Type 3 Reply with quote

Hello everyone, i have been lurking the samba for a few yrs off and on by now. I couldn't find an introduction-type forum to introduce myself on, but i am soon to be the proud owner of a 69 fastback!!! I'll be traveling up to Virginia from Little Rock, AR in the next month to picker up and immediately get to work on it.
This site is a plethora of knowledge that i have been taking from getting prepared to embark on this VW journey. My dad used to have beetles when i was a child as his daily drivers for years. And his brothers had beetles with built engines, type 2s, type 3s and westies... if it was air cooled, it was probably in my family at some point (well, at least the "cars of the people", no porsches).
Any way i thought i'd start this topic as an introduction and post about my fasty, when i get it home. Most info i have needed has been answered many times over, but i'm sure i'll get stumped along the way. As well as have at least a little knowledge to help out some fellow tinkerers. And with that, hello All, more to come, and not soon enough!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mylesvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a Type 3 Reply with quote

A little about the car...
The car needs a total interior overhaul (evrything from carpet insulation to headliner). Ive been throwing around the idea of making this look kinda vintage sports car, clean and simple. The car is anthracite greyb and i am leaning towards a dark brown interior. I havent seen this color combo ever and dont really know if itd be as cool in reality as it is in my head. So if anyone has pics youd like to share, i would love to get some ideas. Im thinking dark brown smooth vinyl seats and door panels with a crush grain black headliner. I just dont know if dark brown carpet would be to much or if i should just go black carpet?

Any opinions? More than welcome to throw out some other ideas! I would like to get alot of inspiration from other guys on the forum. I am mainly wanting to build a fat older brother of a classic Porsche hehe.
I've also got a couple other technical questions...

1. German master cylinder really worth it?! Would the cheaper alternative from cip1 be sufficient longevity and performance wise for a daily driver? I mean $70-$170 is a pretty big jump Shocked Shocked

2. 175/65r15 bridgestone blizzaks up front on stock 4.5s lowered? I think the added traction of both wider and winter aggro tread would be a good idea. But ive seen people run 175 and say no rub and others who say 165s rub. Anyone with actual experience lowered on that. specific tire size?
Thanks for any opinions or input.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a Type 3 Reply with quote

Post up some photos!
Mylesvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a Type 3 Reply with quote

i havent gotten the car in my possession yet. It is unfortunate, i know. ill be picking it up at the end of September.

Once i get it back home (too busy at work to take the time off to pick it up) i will be sure to make a comprehensive "build along" to share my experience with all who wanna go along for the ride.

Unless you meant to others on the forum, then yes please post pics guys lol.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a Type 3 Reply with quote

Mylesvw wrote:
A little about the car...
The car needs a total interior overhaul (evrything from carpet insulation to headliner). Ive been throwing around the idea of making this look kinda vintage sports car, clean and simple. The car is anthracite greyb and i am leaning towards a dark brown interior. I havent seen this color combo ever and dont really know if itd be as cool in reality as it is in my head. So if anyone has pics youd like to share, i would love to get some ideas. Im thinking dark brown smooth vinyl seats and door panels with a crush grain black headliner. I just dont know if dark brown carpet would be to much or if i should just go black carpet?

Any opinions? More than welcome to throw out some other ideas! I would like to get alot of inspiration from other guys on the forum. I am mainly wanting to build a fat older brother of a classic Porsche hehe.
I've also got a couple other technical questions...

1. German master cylinder really worth it?! Would the cheaper alternative from cip1 be sufficient longevity and performance wise for a daily driver? I mean $70-$170 is a pretty big jump Shocked Shocked

2. 175/65r15 bridgestone blizzaks up front on stock 4.5s lowered? I think the added traction of both wider and winter aggro tread would be a good idea. But ive seen people run 175 and say no rub and others who say 165s rub. Anyone with actual experience lowered on that. specific tire size?
Thanks for any opinions or input.

Welcome.
You might want to look thru the gallery to get an idea if your interior color scheme will work together. A nice red interior would go great with the grey outside, but then I think Leo went with a dark tan/light brown for his seats a grey for his carpet on his bus gray 68 Squareback. It looked very nice together. Monte went black on his dark blue 67 Square, and it looks great as well. Go to J bugs.com, and look thru the color samples. It might help you out on your choices. I've got charcoal gray velour seats in mine with worn out matching door panels and headliner with black carpet. It still looks pretty decent for being 18 years old. Very Happy It was a TMI kit that I installed. They screwed up and sent me the velour door panels, as I had ordered them up in smooth vinyl.

Ray would tell you to rebuild your master cylinder using a kit from Rock Auto. Myself, I have Jim Adney ( [email protected] ) rebuild them for me. He does a great job, is reasonable, and has a quick turn around of stuff he rebuilds. He also offers a nice fuel tank vent hose kit.

As for tire size, it depends on IF you're lowered, and how much you're lowered. My 65 Notch is 2 inner splines down, running 195-60-15's on the front on 36 spoke Shelby's, and I only get a rub when I have more than 1 passenger in the car. I'm actually looking at going with some 195-55-15's, as my current tires are aging out. My wife's 70 Fastback is running stock 165-80-15's on 8 spokes, and has no rub with it being down 2 outer splines. There is a difference in how much the car will drop depending on the lowering method. My Notch is running 205-65-15's on 36 spoke Shelby rims on the rear as well, but the car was converted to IRS 19 years ago, and the rear doesn't rub at all. My son has a 65 topless Square that we built years ago, and is currently getting a face lift. He's running 195-50-15's on polished 8 spokes and is down at least 3 splines (might be 4) and the beam is close to the ground. He gets some minor rubbing on the front fenders, but not too bad even with 4 people in the car.
I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Mylesvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a Type 3 Reply with quote

Hey, thanks bobnotch... It absolutely helps. I hadnt really thought of going the route of rebuilding my master cylinder. I suppose that would be my cheapest option while at least keeping the main body german.
As for the interior, yup ive searched through the interior pics quite a bit... And will most likely go with the brown. Im getting a bunch of vinyl color samples from TMI in the mail. Once i can see them in person ill be able to get a more definitive idea. I noticed they have a color called "tan oxen vinyl" and it looks even darker than the brown with a more textured pattern... Similar to a buffalo hide i have at my house (i mess around with leatherworking sometimes, not good enough to do seatcovers though). Since i didnt lower it, not quite sure on the number of splines, but it looks to be at least 2 splines front and rear. I just dont want to sacrifice traction or braking ability using narrow tires.
Mylesvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a Type 3 Reply with quote

Here is a pic... Wanna guess the drop?
Mylesvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a Type 3 Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a Type 3 Reply with quote

Mylesvw wrote:
Hey, thanks bobnotch... It absolutely helps. Since i didnt lower it, not quite sure on the number of splines, but it looks to be at least 2 splines front and rear. I just dont want to sacrifice traction or braking ability using narrow tires.

Yeah, that's the 1 thing I've found over the years on these cars, run the widest tire you can fit on it. You might even look into getting some different rims (wider) too. The 4.5" stock rims are pretty narrow and limit tire choices. But going to wider tires allows the brakes to actually do their job. I found with my Notch that the skinny stock 165's don't offer much grip when braking (they like to lock up, and slide). But switching the fronts to 195's made a huge difference. Add in the 205's on the rear, and it's even better. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Mylesvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a Type 3 Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Mylesvw wrote:
Hey, thanks bobnotch... It absolutely helps. Since i didnt lower it, not quite sure on the number of splines, but it looks to be at least 2 splines front and rear. I just dont want to sacrifice traction or braking ability using narrow tires.

Yeah, that's the 1 thing I've found over the years on these cars, run the widest tire you can fit on it. You might even look into getting some different rims (wider) too. The 4.5" stock rims are pretty narrow and limit tire choices. But going to wider tires allows the brakes to actually do their job. I found with my Notch that the skinny stock 165's don't offer much grip when braking (they like to lock up, and slide). But switching the fronts to 195's made a huge difference. Add in the 205's on the rear, and it's even better. Cool

I will definitely upgrade to some 5.5" wheels as soon as the piggy bank is full enough, but for now ill have to stick to the stockers. I think some black 8 spokes would look pretty clean. As you can see in the pic i need to just get some rollers on it to get it on the road. Which is why i thought maybe throwing on some winter tires could be a decent short term fix for traction and handling... Definitely not for longevity with the softer tread compound but band-aids arent cures so...
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a Type 3 Reply with quote

Mylesvw wrote:

I will definitely upgrade to some 5.5" wheels as soon as the piggy bank is full enough, but for now ill have to stick to the stockers. I think some black 8 spokes would look pretty clean. As you can see in the pic i need to just get some rollers on it to get it on the road. Which is why i thought maybe throwing on some winter tires could be a decent short term fix for traction and handling... Definitely not for longevity with the softer tread compound but band-aids arent cures so...

I'd say it's at least a 2 spline drop all around. Maybe even 3 splines in the rear.
I'd run the Blizzaks for now. In fact I know a guy who ran them year round for a couple of years with out any issues. The way he looked at it was that he already had them, was putting 200kM (~120 miles) a day on them, and they weren't wearing out as fast as everyone told him they would. So, if you have them, run them.

Yeah, I'd spend your money where you really need to put it first, then do other things as your budget allows.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Mylesvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a Type 3 Reply with quote

175/65 blizzaks it is. I dont havem but can get a deal onem for $130 a pair. The situation im dealing with is as follows...
I have to tow it home on a tow dolly, but all tires are rotted. So ill be towing it backwards with new tires on the front and just keeping air in the backs on the dolly when i stop for gas and what have you. Then new tires on the back when i get home. Money is gonna be a real constraint for the majority of the build. Fortunately, its been rust repaired and painted. Also new shocks and brake n fuel lines. So not much to get it on the road.
Eventually it will be getting a 2110cc engine with a 3.8x ring pinion. I dont know if i will go with a longer fourth gear or not. I will be driving about 70 miles a day at least 5 days a week. Daily driver is an understatement Smile . But yea, like i said in one of my original posts, i want this to be the fat older brother Porsche never had. This is probably the most excited ive ever been about a car, and i never really had an interest in type 3s previously.
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a Type 3 Reply with quote

Welcome to the community. Nice piece of canvas you have there. Get to know the car before tearing it apart or springing on a new interior. The car looks like it sat for a little so brakes, fuel lines may want to be looked over and swapped out. Dependent on what the seller told you, go over it anyway. If running and drivable, get a feel of what it'll need. Get your brakes in order as you need them. I used Jims services to do my MC and it was a worth it. Look forward to seeing more pics of your project and your progress on it. Lots of reference material and knowledgeable folks out there willing to give you a hand. Welcome.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Mylesvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a Type 3 Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
Welcome to the community. Nice piece of canvas you have there. Get to know the car before tearing it apart or springing on a new interior. The car looks like it sat for a little so brakes, fuel lines may want to be looked over and swapped out. Dependent on what the seller told you, go over it anyway. If running and drivable, get a feel of what it'll need. Get your brakes in order as you need them. I used Jims services to do my MC and it was a worth it. Look forward to seeing more pics of your project and your progress on it. Lots of reference material and knowledgeable folks out there willing to give you a hand. Welcome.

Yea i totally agree, and will be doing a thorough check on all systems. It has set for a couple years. So little gremlins will show there heads soon enough im sure.
Thanks for the encouraging words. I will definitely have to pm Jim concerning the MC situation. Rock auto is sold outta the rebuild kits, although im sure cip1 or others would havem. I am gonna research doing it myself, and make a decision. And yes this site has provided sooo much knowledge and inspiration for me. Its actually quite overwhelming, take for instance my question regarding 175/65s on lowered front end. Im sure it is somewhere on the site... But i couldnt find it after looking on Here and google for literally hours.

So ahead of time, i apologize if i ask questions that have been beaten to death... I promose ill search before asking any specifics Wink

On a side note i have just found out that dual kadrons wont fit without modification to the deck lid... And turtlebacks are either not made anymore or not made in 5.5"s Crying or Very sad
Mylesvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a Type 3 Reply with quote

Just a little update...
Ordered all four tires, awaiting delivery. Ill ppst pics later on when installed
2x falken ziex ze950 175 65r15 for the rear
2x falken eurowinter 175 65r15 for front

I also am awaiting a pair of bullet turn signals for the front, of which i just purchased from a fellow samba member. They look like they will most likely need new lenses. And will need to get some seals. Man, those seals arent cheap! Theyre gonna set me back almost twice as much as what i paid for the lights. Shocked
Mylesvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a Type 3 Reply with quote

So i sourced a NOS vw master cylinder for cheaper than a brazilian one... But its from england. So my question is, would it be the same part equipped on U.S. models (plumbing hookups on same side, mount holes, etc.)? If so, its a really good deal and would save quite a bit of money over new german. It would only cost slightly mpre than rebuild. Thanks.
Mylesvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a Type 3 Reply with quote

So here it is... Only one sensor and not tapped for a second... Is that wrong or what?
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a Type 3 Reply with quote

Before you use that NOS master cylinder, you'll have to rebuild it with all new rubber parts, as the ones in there will be no good due to old age.

This is one situation where NOS isn't necessarily the best way to go.
Mylesvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a Type 3 Reply with quote

Donnie strickland wrote:
Before you use that NOS master cylinder, you'll have to rebuild it with all new rubber parts, as the ones in there will be no good due to old age.

This is one situation where NOS isn't necessarily the best way to go.

Didnt think of that... Thanks Donnie.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a Type 3 Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Mylesvw wrote:

I'd say it's at least a 2 spline drop all around. Maybe even 3 splines in the rear.
I'd run the Blizzaks for now. In fact I know a guy who ran them year round for a couple of years with out any issues. The way he looked at it was that he already had them, was putting 200kM (~120 miles) a day on them, and they weren't wearing out as fast as everyone told him they would. So, if you have them, run them.

Yeah, I'd spend your money where you really need to put it first, then do other things as your budget allows.

I can vouch for the fact that the new generations of extreme winter tires can in fact be driven year round...with superb results.

I have Continental extreme winter contacts for my 2012 Golf. I drove them from January to August. Highway speeds on curvy highways at 80 mph sustained...superb!
Winter snow and ice superb. Cumulative mileage loss...maybe 1.5 mpg.

I have driven the Blizzacks on both snow and dry pavement too .....fantastic tire. The Continental extreme contact listed 2nd in tire rack testing only to the Blizzack and ONLY due to very slightly longer braking on ice.

The Continentals in my opinion...beat the Blizzacks in both rain and dry pavement handling...though the Blizzacks are no slouch at all.

The continental winter contact tires and the blizzacks both beat the ass off of the Continental touring tires my car came with...in dry cornering.

The wear of driving on dry pavement with these tires...is not as bad as you would expect.

Driven year round though....these will be 30k mile tires maximum. Thats about like the lifespan of a really sticky performance tire....and about the same lifespan of my super sticky Continental CH90 sport contacts from around 2000...which were a 100% upgrade in handling on my 412. Sticky as snot.

http://www.continentaltire.com/product/extremewintercontact-18555r15-82t

Worth every penny. On a classic ACVW not being driven as a hardcore daily....meaning if you drive this car say 5000 miles a year...you will get 3-4 years of life out of winter tires year round.

I think the extreme winter contact tires I linked above have been superseded...at least at the tire rack....by the Continental winter contact Si

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=...terSection

The tire rack test comparison between the Blizzack Ws80 and the Conti Si

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=206

Another great all season tire....and I am currently running on my Golf...on my second set....superb in rain....about 75% as good as my snow tires on snow....is this:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=...lar=2-Door

Absolutely superb, grippy, rain tire and moderate snow and dry pavement tire.

Available in 195-65-15. Its a toss up whether to put these of the dedicated snow tires on my 412. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: