Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Story of a Type 3
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mylesvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a Type 3 Reply with quote

Donnie strickland wrote:
Some folks use a piece of soldering wick:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Whoa thanks Donnie!
I didnt think of that... I actualy do quite a bit of soldering at work but I use one of those suction things to pull the old solder.

That stuff looks perfect... I think I'll be grabbin a roll of that. Maybe i can get my boss to order some for (insert random exhibit repair here), and just snip off a couple inches...

I'm assuming the felt is wool, right? I have 80/20% and 100% wool and wool poly blends of material. Probably just go with the wool only for its flame retardant qualities.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a Type 3 Reply with quote

I'm not sure of the composition of the felt; the main thing is that it gets a couple of drops of oil at tuneup time to help keep the distributor lubricated.
Mylesvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a Type 3 Reply with quote

Donnie strickland wrote:
I'm not sure of the composition of the felt; the main thing is that it gets a couple of drops of oil at tuneup time to help keep the distributor lubricated.

Good to know, thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mylesvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a Type 3 Reply with quote

hey guys, been a little while... Been working nights and weekends trying to get our early childhood area renovated for the opening on the 20th of this month. So havent had much time to tinker or post.

1. Engine is pulled and I found the reason for the loud grinding noise. A stripped bolt holding the main fan shroud to front of engine case. Only about 3/16 of play, but that was enough.
So I'm awaiting a helicoil kit which should arrive monday (timesert kits are expensive!!!, plus this engine is only temporary)

2. Have stainless pushrod tubes that will be getting replaced next weekend if I'm not working all day long, fingers crossed.

3. Found more rust! I wish i had a donor car near by, its gonna cost me a fortune in money AND time sourcing and shipping all that i need (heater channels, sub frame support area behind seat, cowl vent area behind hood, probably new front beam, floor pans, side kick area ahead of heater channels, and oh so much more Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad )

just chasing threads and little odds and ends here and there.
Will be posting pics soon, please dont forget about me haha Cool
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a Type 3 Reply with quote

Hey, progress is progress!

A helicoil is fine there.
Mylesvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a Type 3 Reply with quote

Donnie strickland wrote:
Hey, progress is progress!

A helicoil is fine there.

Yea thanks man, i just wish i had a little more time before the winter hits (I AM working in a carport after all Confused ) Even though, I'll be in my wool hunting gear out there if i have to Cool

Yea i havent really used helicoils at all, so i was a bit hesitant, but it held the torqued down bolt very well. I might end up doing the same to the rest, because that flimsy spring is still less likely to give/strip than our soft Mag cases. Plus i can torque down a couple more ft lbs for a bit more sense of security.It has a much more positive feel when wrenching than the magnesium.

I got the whole kit with tap, drill bit, install tool, breaker and plenty helicoils for under $40. And it came with sizes M5-M12 (131 pieces total). Yall pm me if you wanna link to the kit. I still need to invest in timeserts for M8 though. I think itll run me Around $80. Just can't justify it at this time.

I will finally be getting my welder within the next month, just in time to be broke for the holidays. I most likely will not be getting the hobart of my dreams, but instead an inverter power 140 welder from northern tool. not a big name, but of ALL the reviews ive looked at, none were negative. Only time will tell, but for under $400... I gotta bite at that bait. Its a Klutch 140SI inverter mig welder. Ground clamp looks of good quality and metal internals, plus i can get a little more kick outta inverter on 115v than i could otherwise.

I was talking to my uncle (who used to build VW engines and beetles, etc.) He told me that his brother, my late uncle, had a Squareback variant back in the 70's, this stuff is in my blood... but all them are old as the hills now and not too close to home)

Now i get to start beggin for patch panels/metal from everyone Laughing
(seriously though, everybody, i need like 2 whole cars to get this thing rolling) Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a Type 3 Reply with quote

Mylesvw wrote:

Yea i havent really used helicoils at all, so i was a bit hesitant, but it held the torqued down bolt very well. I might end up doing the same to the rest, because that flimsy spring is still less likely to give/strip than our soft Mag cases. Plus i can torque down a couple more ft lbs for a bit more sense of security.It has a much more positive feel when wrenching than the magnesium.

Resist the temptation to over torque those bolts -- you don't want to break them off or crack the case. Just use the stock torque specs. That wire may look flimsy in the package, but installed, it's quite strong.

There's certainly nothing wrong with Time-serts. They're a fine product, but not necessary in every case. For what you're doing, there's no need to spend extra money when you don't have to. Save that cash for body metal! Smile
Mylesvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a Type 3 Reply with quote

Well, it's been awhile... I feel as though i have let myself and those viewing my thread down for the past few months. Been in financial problems, and had some personal issues to deal with. Mostly just bummed out that i haven't given the fasty the time or work that it deserves. I Havent done much at all since pullin my engine last year. I am in the process of putting it back together so i can throw it back in the car and at least here the sweet sound of air cooled goodness...

I Just posted a WTB ad listing some of my needs for the body work, probably shoulda just posted in the vehicle ads instead of parts (see ad to know what i mean lol). I think gettin some sheet metal thrown on this car will help move it along once again. Anyway, good news is that i am crawling out from under my rock and lighting a fire under my own A$$ to get back to it. And i got a decent camera i will be using to start taking update pics again. It will no doubt be a slow process getting the fasty on the road, but slow progress is better than nothing i suppose.

With all that said, I would just like to thank everyone who has taken the time to document there own builds on this forum, and others. I just got through reading through Bobnotchs entire brown notchback build.... as well as a whole bunch of others over the past couple weeks. I needed that lol. I hope i wont be as much of a stranger on this site, as i hope to grow my knowledge and skills, as well as hopefully grow some friendships with the very helpful and welcoming people here and in the physical world alike. So if theres any Arkansan VW guys close by, hit me up, i love all things air cooled! I'll buy the beer, or ginger ale... Rolling Eyes hehe

More to come, and with more regularity... Embarassed Brick wall
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a Type 3 Reply with quote

Mylesvw wrote:
Well, it's been awhile... I feel as though i have let myself and those viewing my thread down for the past few months. Been in financial problems, and had some personal issues to deal with. Mostly just bummed out that i haven't given the fasty the time or work that it deserves. I Havent done much at all since pullin my engine last year. I am in the process of putting it back together so i can throw it back in the car and at least here the sweet sound of air cooled goodness...

I Just posted a WTB ad listing some of my needs for the body work, probably shoulda just posted in the vehicle ads instead of parts (see ad to know what i mean lol). I think gettin some sheet metal thrown on this car will help move it along once again. Anyway, good news is that i am crawling out from under my rock and lighting a fire under my own A$$ to get back to it. And i got a decent camera i will be using to start taking update pics again. It will no doubt be a slow process getting the fasty on the road, but slow progress is better than nothing i suppose.

With all that said, I would just like to thank everyone who has taken the time to document there own builds on this forum, and others. I just got through reading through Bobnotchs entire brown notchback build.... as well as a whole bunch of others over the past couple weeks. I needed that lol. I hope i wont be as much of a stranger on this site, as i hope to grow my knowledge and skills, as well as hopefully grow some friendships with the very helpful and welcoming people here and in the physical world alike. So if theres any Arkansan VW guys close by, hit me up, i love all things air cooled! I'll buy the beer, or ginger ale... Rolling Eyes hehe

More to come, and with more regularity... Embarassed Brick wall

I think a good many of us have been where your at with home life and life in general getting in the way.

That brown Notch build was a challenge to myself, as it was the rustiest car I've ever rebuilt. I hope you had a cold 6 pack for that one. Very Happy It was also a warm up for doing the T-34 Ghia, as it had rust in places I'd never seen before on a regular type 3.

As for getting practice on your welding skills, I'd recommend doing areas that won't be seen first. If you have to add metal to the bottom of the rear fenders, do all of your welding from the inside (less grinding). That's part of the key to doing that kind of work, take it in smaller chunks, weld where it can't be seen, and don't be shy about adjusting the welder itself. With more practice it does get easier, and you'll learn from your mistakes. Also, if the welder can use gas, do so. It just makes for cleaner welds and less clean up for you. You really want to make this go as easy as you can. You don't really want to have to work hard at it, as it takes away motivation (ask Steve...aka Clatter). It's supposed to be a "fun" project. Wink

Also, as a way to keep the motivation up, you can do smaller sections at a time, or ordering up parts, as those things need to happen as well. Even rebuilding other items can help keep the motivation up. Things like rebuilding the wiper unit, or cleaning the years of accumulating grease off the front beam can help to. Save those days for when you're bored, or you're waiting on other parts, or it's raining. Same applies to cleaning and greasing the window winder mechanism. Things like this may or may not be on your list of things to do, but will probably need to be done at some point. Plus they make it nicer when the car is put back together.

Sorry for rambling on, but I hope it helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Mylesvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a Type 3 Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:

I think a good many of us have been where your at with home life and life in general getting in the way.

That brown Notch build was a challenge to myself, as it was the rustiest car I've ever rebuilt. I hope you had a cold 6 pack for that one. Very Happy It was also a warm up for doing the T-34 Ghia, as it had rust in places I'd never seen before on a regular type 3.

As for getting practice on your welding skills, I'd recommend doing areas that won't be seen first. If you have to add metal to the bottom of the rear fenders, do all of your welding from the inside (less grinding). That's part of the key to doing that kind of work, take it in smaller chunks, weld where it can't be seen, and don't be shy about adjusting the welder itself. With more practice it does get easier, and you'll learn from your mistakes. Also, if the welder can use gas, do so. It just makes for cleaner welds and less clean up for you. You really want to make this go as easy as you can. You don't really want to have to work hard at it, as it takes away motivation (ask Steve...aka Clatter). It's supposed to be a "fun" project. Wink

Also, as a way to keep the motivation up, you can do smaller sections at a time, or ordering up parts, as those things need to happen as well. Even rebuilding other items can help keep the motivation up. Things like rebuilding the wiper unit, or cleaning the years of accumulating grease off the front beam can help to. Save those days for when you're bored, or you're waiting on other parts, or it's raining. Same applies to cleaning and greasing the window winder mechanism. Things like this may or may not be on your list of things to do, but will probably need to be done at some point. Plus they make it nicer when the car is put back together.

Sorry for rambling on, but I hope it helps.

Dont be sorry. I see everything you said as constructive, not rambling at all. Hell, my multiple paragraph comments ramble on more than that lol.

Yea i feel like if i expose anymore rust on this thing it will literally turn into a block of swiss cheese Sad

Takin it little by little is definitely the game plan as far as rust repair is concerned. Unfortunately i have quite a bit of work before i can get it on the road. I will be purchasing repair sections as soon as they are available to me (cost prohibitive of course). Its a shame the aftermarket isnt as abundant as it is with bugs. I'd be livin on easy street (still alotta welding though). I also read through that older red type 3 pickup build recently... Rust in all the same places and as severe in some cases, so that gave me alotta inspiration as well. (sorry to the author for not remembering the build name or author). It woulda been alot easier to build a bug, but man, i love this car Cool .

As far as the six pack, thats another thing that changed in my life... Cut out all the sugar and carbs (except on cheat day once a week), since my health was declining. I lost 75 lbs, so i must be doin somethin right, but now the attention is goin toward my vw.

One thing that i figured out was a name.... Sleipnir... The name of Odin's war horse. An eight legged, grey horse on which he rode into battle! On to Valhalla!
I figured what the hell, its grey, and i do have plans of puttin some of those 8 spoke empis on it... I thought it was fitting lol.

I also found an old small grey tool box at work that ill be making a securing strap for in the frunk for a little custom nostalgia look... Pics to come. As for now, more studying up on body work and tinkering with the engine and drafting up some plans for engine mounting using the porsche engine mounts (solid or poly, cant decide which yet).

Thanks again Bob, and all those who are interested in my little journey...
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a Type 3 Reply with quote

Sounds like you've got a good game plan going.
I'm currently working on a 1980 Trans Am Indy Pace car, that every time I get near it with the sandblaster it gets more holes. d'oh! So far I've put 5 sections of floor in it, a complete trunk floor, a rear hinge support panel (cut the hinge mounts off and welded to the new section), rear tail panel (where the tail lights go), patched both quarter panels in front, put 5 patches into the "T" top section, and a front cowl panel (just below the dash out front), plus an assortment of smaller patches in various locations.
I've also stripped and blasted the front subframe, primed and painted it, re-bushed the UCA's and LCA's, new ball joints, and tie rods. The biggest challenge was finding 3 new bolts for the steering box, but I ended up getting them from Fastenal (I drove all over town trying to find them).
I just got both doors re-skinned, and am slowly getting them ready for paint (on the inside) so I can hang them.
Then I can move onto the core support and weld in a couple of patches to fix it. Then it can get blasted, primed and painted. At least the inner fenders are fairly clean, but I have a feeling I'll be adding a patch to the left front outer fender.
At that point I'll finally have most of the sheetmetal work done. Cool I've been slowly working on this for 18 months now. Winter and a few quick other jobs have slowed progress, well that and tearing my rotator cuff put a dent in progress last year, and the cold hanging around as long as it did slowed the start for this year. I can't seem to win on it. Laughing But I'm making progress, which is all that counts.

Sorry for the off topic post, but it also shows that some projects take longer than expected, and outside factors can cause a slow down in work getting done.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Mylesvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a Type 3 Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Sounds like you've got a good game plan going.
I'm currently working on a 1980 Trans Am Indy Pace car, that every time I get near it with the sandblaster it gets more holes. d'oh! So far I've put 5 sections of floor in it, a complete trunk floor, a rear hinge support panel (cut the hinge mounts off and welded to the new section), rear tail panel (where the tail lights go), patched both quarter panels in front, put 5 patches into the "T" top section, and a front cowl panel (just below the dash out front), plus an assortment of smaller patches in various locations.
I've also stripped and blasted the front subframe, primed and painted it, re-bushed the UCA's and LCA's, new ball joints, and tie rods. The biggest challenge was finding 3 new bolts for the steering box, but I ended up getting them from Fastenal (I drove all over town trying to find them).
I just got both doors re-skinned, and am slowly getting them ready for paint (on the inside) so I can hang them.
Then I can move onto the core support and weld in a couple of patches to fix it. Then it can get blasted, primed and painted. At least the inner fenders are fairly clean, but I have a feeling I'll be adding a patch to the left front outer fender.
At that point I'll finally have most of the sheetmetal work done. Cool I've been slowly working on this for 18 months now. Winter and a few quick other jobs have slowed progress, well that and tearing my rotator cuff put a dent in progress last year, and the cold hanging around as long as it did slowed the start for this year. I can't seem to win on it. Laughing But I'm making progress, which is all that counts.

Sorry for the off topic post, but it also shows that some projects take longer than expected, and outside factors can cause a slow down in work getting done.

No worries goin off topic, i too have another project, however its at a stand still (until i fix it up to sale for increasin the VW budget). Its a '66 GMC pickup that i used to daily drive, but been sitting for about 4 years now.

I'd love to see pics of that Trans Am if you have any? Pm me if so if you want.
Mylesvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a Type 3 Reply with quote

A little update...

1. Finished cleaning up the heads on the engine. Also installed new chromoly pushrods and new pushrod tubes when putting the heads back on. And I tightened it all up with all new washers and nuts. Once the that was all done i through her back in the car. I had the help of my girlfriend for the re install, I'm sure she was happy when it was over. Laughing

2. Replaced the fuel line from the carbs to the pump and temporarily (I'll explain shortly) plumbed the pump to a fuel can and started ta startin... And whatdya know, it bumbled and fumbled to life sputtering and coughing.
That is, until i started tinkering with carbs and the distr timing. Then it started idling fairly decent. I still need to dial it in... But that'll be for another time.

A quick tip for anyone tryin to tune your PDSITs...
Gently bottom out your adjustment screws, then turn out 1.5 rotations, adjust from there while playing with the throttle... Thats it! I've only ever messed with webers (easy to tune), and rochesters (easy to tune), and these are much easier.

3. I pulled my gas tank, which is why i was harvesting fuel feom the gas can. It was in suprisingly decent condition, considering the rest of the metal on the car has all but disintegrated. Oh and i found more rust and cleverly hidden holes (no pics of those, to depressing lol).
Anyway, i mixed some phosphoric acid and water and filled the tank up about 3/4, and let sit (agitating violently every 15 minutes or so) for a total of about 3 hours. It pretty much did the job, i still had to clean up around the threaded bung at the bottom but other than that it got it fairly clean. And that phosphoric acid leaves a decent barrier between the metal and the elements (I dont seal inside gas tanks).

4. Also started on the brakes...
I pulled the rotors and calipers and dust shield. They had all been painted the same color as the car and was pitting and flaking and rusting underneath. So i stripped it all down and through some new paint on all of it. Also cleaned the rotors up with some metal prep from rust bullet. That stuff really works to dissolve the rust, really fast. I think its some acid mixture. I pai ted them with a cast iron grey color, which looks (i think) much better... And i had the paint already. Budget, remember?

I am fairly certain the calipers need rebuilt or replaced, so I've only cleaned them a bit and not finished them with anything. I'll throw yall some pics here in a sec...

I did notice that it has some new balljoints, and newish brake lines, so thats at least a couple expenses i dont have to worry about.

Next will be probably master cylinder install (ATE new), and figuring out whats up with the calipers. I need to get more blue brake hose (damn that stuff's expensive) to finish out the plumbing from reservoir to MC.

Took a big financial hit recently with the daily driver, so my plans to purchase some sheet metal and more expensive parts are on hold for at least a couple weeks.

Until then here is a before after pics of the brakes...
Mylesvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Story of a Type 3 Reply with quote

Mylesvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a Type 3 Reply with quote

Well i got a quick update, broke down my front brake system and found mismatched rotors and calipers. The pic i put up of the driver side rotor cleaned up, will be getting replaced with new components. I was hoping to keep the VW parts and rebuild/refinish. But with the passenger side caliper being rusted badly (and not oem) and pitting all over the rotor (also not oem)... I just ordered all new rotors and calipers. If i can find a good core for passenger caliper in the future, i will rebuild. But for right now, the labor time and cheap cost of new components made it a no brainer, considering the other work i have ahead of me.

I also ordered new wheel bearings for the front (timken), new seals, and a bunch of other stuff that i could afford right now. Still have to hold off for a couple weeks on some more expensive pieces i need (body sheet metal). But this will definitely keep me busy for a little bit.

Just received a set of tie rod ends and a urethane steering coupler. I seriously turn the wheel about 1\2 a turn before any thing responds up front, so definitely needed to address that.

And yes, i know one of the tie rod ends is supposed to be bent to, what is it?... 7 or 9 degrees? Unfortunately i couldnt find it until after i ordered a set that had all straight pieces. Btw, for anyone who doesnt wanna wear out steering components i just saw that rock auto has one for $15. Wish i woulda seen that... Rolling Eyes

Maybe i could pull the boot on one and heat/ bend it to match the one pulled off the car. It looks like theres a perfect place to heat it up at the base of threads and be able to bend there. Would it weaken it to much, am i just being a cheap a$$...? Shocked
What do yall think?

Mylesvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a Type 3 Reply with quote

I just realised an error made by the PO... Wanna guess?

What an imbecile...

W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a Type 3 Reply with quote

Hopefully the new owner doesn’t make the mistake of installing that urethane steering coupler , if those break you have zero steering, the stock rubber ones have cloth moulded into it, so it gets sloppy long before it fails

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Tram
Samba Socialist

Location: Still Feelin' the Bern- Once you've felt it you can't un- feel it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a Type 3 Reply with quote

Mylesvw wrote:
Well i got a quick update, broke down my front brake system and found mismatched rotors and calipers. The pic i put up of the driver side rotor cleaned up, will be getting replaced with new components. I was hoping to keep the VW parts and rebuild/refinish. But with the passenger side caliper being rusted badly (and not oem) and pitting all over the rotor (also not oem)... I just ordered all new rotors and calipers. If i can find a good core for passenger caliper in the future, i will rebuild. But for right now, the labor time and cheap cost of new components made it a no brainer, considering the other work i have ahead of me.

I also ordered new wheel bearings for the front (timken), new seals, and a bunch of other stuff that i could afford right now. Still have to hold off for a couple weeks on some more expensive pieces i need (body sheet metal). But this will definitely keep me busy for a little bit.

Just received a set of tie rod ends and a urethane steering coupler. I seriously turn the wheel about 1\2 a turn before any thing responds up front, so definitely needed to address that.

And yes, i know one of the tie rod ends is supposed to be bent to, what is it?... 7 or 9 degrees? Unfortunately i couldnt find it until after i ordered a set that had all straight pieces. Btw, for anyone who doesnt wanna wear out steering components i just saw that rock auto has one for $15. Wish i woulda seen that... Rolling Eyes

Maybe i could pull the boot on one and heat/ bend it to match the one pulled off the car. It looks like theres a perfect place to heat it up at the base of threads and be able to bend there. Would it weaken it to much, am i just being a cheap a$$...? Shocked
What do yall think?

Gary Ploof has the correct bent ends in the Classifieds:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2128813

Heating the one you have to bend it will make the metal brittle and boil the grease out/ coke it up.

Bryan67 wrote:
Just my hands. And a little lube. No tools.

To best contact me, please use the EMAIL function in my profile
Mylesvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a Type 3 Reply with quote

Thanks Tram, thats what i figured... Guess i'll just have to hold off on that one till i can purchase it.

W1K1, thanks for the heads up, i've never heard of these being a problem...
I'll keep an eye on it and replace if neccesarry, however polyurethane is a pretty resilient plastic. Anything that can happen, will though, so thanks for lookin out. The old coupler has cracks on three sides and is brittle like it was left in the sun for a year lol.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Story of a Type 3 Reply with quote

Tram wrote:
Mylesvw wrote:

What do yall think?

Gary Ploof has the correct bent ends in the Classifieds:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2128813

Heating the one you have to bend it will make the metal brittle and boil the grease out/ coke it up.

What Tram said. However, if you lower the front end 2 splines, you make the straight end last longer (it takes that angle away).
Yup, the urethane steering couplers are a no go. Same applies to solid rubber ones as well (gotta watch for that). Take your old one to your FLAPS (Friendly Local Auto Parts Store) and look in the "HELP" section for a coupler with cloth running thru it. You might be surprised at what you'll find.

As for sending pics of the TA, I'd have to send you a memory stick, as there's that many of them. Rolling Eyes

Good call on the caliper change. You definitely don't want a braking imbalance on the front. Change the front hoses as well if you haven't already done so. They go bad internally, while looking good on the outside.

Oh, and that 6 pack could have easily been water. The point was you'd be there a while. Wink
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: