Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hitch receiver for Cargo Carrier
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheWilliamAlan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Hitch receiver for Cargo Carrier Reply with quote

My father in law gave me a little cargo tray about 4'x2' that hooks into a tow hitch receiver. My 91 Syncro doesn't have a hitch. If I only use it for this cargo tray would I be safe building a hitch that just bolts to the loops under the bumper?
pedrokrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Hitch receiver for Cargo Carrier Reply with quote

Just attached to the tow loops alone? No!

Look here, its exactly what you are looking for:

- Built a 2" receiver trailer hitch
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662361&highlight=trailer+hitch
1989 vanagon Karmann Gipsy #652, TDI AFN
1991 vanagon westfalia conversion TDI ALH Silverfox
ex-1989 vanagon syncro passenger Syncrofox (Sold)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=598791&highlight=
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493964&highlight=speed+aap+trans
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=496589&highlight=carrier+bars
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=506025
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Hitch receiver for Cargo Carrier Reply with quote

Thx PedroC glad u like my hitch design. But the hitch I had before I rebuilt it .... was the standard style that attaches to the two "tow loops" and it was rated for 500 lb. thats a LOT of cargo. (!! ERROR !! , I don't have the sticker anymore but I think it was rated for 100lbs of tongue weight at the ball)

500 lbs is a large motorcycle (that's too much for a vanagon!) I think it would be fine for your cargo shelf. I doubt you'll even have 200 lbs, that would be so much it would cover the van.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:50 am; edited 2 times in total
TheWilliamAlan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Hitch receiver for Cargo Carrier Reply with quote

pedrokrusher wrote:
Just attached to the tow loops alone? No!

Look here, its exactly what you are looking for:

- Built a 2" receiver trailer hitch
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662361&highlight=trailer+hitch

Ok. So I could bolt to the loops and run some supports to the bars under the motor. No prob. Thanks! I saw that thread but didn't realize he had removed the loops so I wasn't sure what he had done. Reading more carefully he welded to the supports for the loops instead of bolting to them.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Hitch receiver for Cargo Carrier Reply with quote

My hitch (modified extensively) attaches to the tow loops but has added supports to the Syncro skid bars below, to be able to carry a motorcycle (with confidence).

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox

Last edited by Sodo on Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:48 am; edited 2 times in total
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Hitch receiver for Cargo Carrier Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
...500 lbs is a large motorcycle (that's too much for a vanagon!) I think it would be fine for your cargo shelf.

Five hundred pounds is about average for many midsized street bikes. The large ones easily top 800.
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Hitch receiver for Cargo Carrier Reply with quote

Cargo trays should not be installed on the typical bolt-on-to-tow-hook receiver hitches without other means of support. I have seen many tow hooks bend under quite minimal load and your tray will be dragging ground. Tongue weights are usually rated at the ball or close to it. If you put 500lbs 24" off the CL of the ball, well.. that's quite a lever.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Hitch receiver for Cargo Carrier Reply with quote

IF I were to buy a ready made bumper hitch, this would be my go to source.

http://burleysmotorsports.com/index.php?main_page=...e6v67tgvg2

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Hitch receiver for Cargo Carrier Reply with quote

jberger wrote:
If you put 500lbs 24" off the CL of the ball, well.. that's quite a lever.

Yes that's way too much. 200 lbs; 12" rearward might be a good limit for a cargo shelf on a Vanagon with a tow-hook mounted hitch.

Maybe filnd a 200 lb person, have them stand in the center of your cargo shelf and bounce on it. If you see any flexing, then find a different monkey that woughs less (150 lbs, 100 lbs) and reduce the 'weight limit' of your cargo extension accordingly.

Wolfram
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Hitch receiver for Cargo Carrier Reply with quote

As DJKEEV notes, Burley is the way to go. We have one and it is rock solid. Bolts to chassis rails.
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Hitch receiver for Cargo Carrier Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
jberger wrote:
If you put 500lbs 24" off the CL of the ball, well.. that's quite a lever.

Yes that's way too much. 200 lbs; 12" rearward might be a good limit for a cargo shelf on a Vanagon with a tow-hook mounted hitch.

Maybe filnd a 200 lb person, have them stand in the center of your cargo shelf and bounce on it. If you see any flexing, then find a different monkey that woughs less (150 lbs, 100 lbs) and reduce the 'weight limit' of your cargo extension accordingly.

Re-read your post above. You make it sound like the tow-loop receiver hitch can carry 500lbs on a carrier. It simply can not.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Hitch receiver for Cargo Carrier Reply with quote

jberger wrote:
Sodo wrote:

Re-read your post above. You make it sound like the tow-loop receiver hitch can carry 500lbs on a carrier. It simply can not.

If anyone thinks I suggested 500 lbs, I apologize for that, and don't want wrong info on TheSamba. I walked out to the van and looked at the tow-loops. My hitch-rating sticker is long-gone but in my foggy memory it that may have stated 100 lbs tongue weight??? Certainly not 500 lbs! That rating means 100 lbs about 6 inches behind the bumper. Note that "200 lbs, 12 inches behind the bumper" is 4X overweight of the rating. It would take a lot of effort to get 200 lbs onto a cargo shelf, so that's not likely anyway.

A hitch mounted cargo carrier will clear out space inside the van and is useful. I would trust --->myself<--- to assess it's carrying capacity with some simple tests. But to stay within the hitch's tongue weight rating, the cargo shelf PLUS its cargo should be limited to 50 lbs. That's not much, but you can choose bulky, lightweight items.

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Hitch receiver for Cargo Carrier Reply with quote

I like having a cargo carrier for carrying large bulky but not too heavy items that take up space inside the cabin. I made my own from a swing-down bike carrier, but next year I'll use a swing-out base unit. I needed to have the load platform higher in order to clear the road when I back out of my sloped driveway. I might use this one on my Vanagon if I can convert it to 1.25"

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Hitch receiver for Cargo Carrier Reply with quote

GoWesty receiver hitch (which uses the loops & reinforcement T-bar) + riser adapter + aluminum Hitch Haul (drilled new hitch pin holes for it to mount closer to the bumper):

Works for me...

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: