Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

transmssion heat causing vapor lock
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: transmssion heat causing vapor lock Reply with quote

It should be about 1L in 30 seconds if I recall correctly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: transmssion heat causing vapor lock Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
It should be about 1L in 30 seconds if I recall correctly.

About 1 liter per MINUTE.....but to be sure.....it needs to be 1 liter per minute or close to it.....UNDER MAX PRESSURE.

So that means turn the engine off....turn the pump on and measure what is coming out of the return line.

A free flowing pump with no pressure load should easily pump 1 liter per minute or more.
A pump that is under load should pump about 0.8 to 1.0 liter per minute. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Greg in GA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: transmssion heat causing vapor lock Reply with quote

update 2: I ran the fuel volume test again for one minute, while monitoring the system pressure....

the engine was off and I had a short hose on the output of the FPR. The battery was well charged.

the pump filled a 1 quart container completely in one min.

the pressure on the system stayed at 60-70psi!!

as soon as the pump was turned off, the pressure in the system returned to 35psi.

These results don't make any sense. Unless the FPR is still the culprit.

Need a really good mechanic for your VW bus? Consider making an appointment with Colin (Amskeptic) next time he passes thru your area.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: transmssion heat causing vapor lock Reply with quote

Greg in GA wrote:
update 2: I ran the fuel volume test again for one minute, while monitoring the system pressure....

the engine was off and I had a short hose on the output of the FPR. The battery was well charged.

as soon as the pump was turned off, the pressure in the system returned to 35psi.

there are only two possibilities I can see (1) a bad FPR, or (2) the wrong fuel pump and it is pumping too much fuel for the FPR to dump. Do you have another FPR you can test with? All you really need is to rig it on the floor with alternate hoses. You can even do the test from and back into a gas can if you want but I would do it outside the garage.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: transmssion heat causing vapor lock Reply with quote

Greg in GA wrote:

It proves one thing for sure....your pump is just fine.

It also proves ....and I think Wildthings said it first......you most probably have a restriction. A clog in a line, a crimp in the line, or a rusted over end on the return line inside of the tank.....or even a rusted over restricted outlet port inside of the regulator.

That last one is exceedinyly rare. I have only found that in a regulator once.....but it had lots of water in the lines and sat for a least a decade.

Also.....you note that you are using the normal stock type L-jet pump. Can you post the part #?
In some rare cases.....if for instance you had a Bosch 044 pump in the bus by accident.....it can generate very high pressures.....but usually there is still restriction involved.

Also...I thknk someone here just last aeek found a fuel restriction....that eas caused by a sharp edge on a nipple either on a filter or a pump....that carved out a flap of rubber from the inside of the line.....that blocked the hose. That is worth exploring.

Ray
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: transmssion heat causing vapor lock Reply with quote

Fuel pump Volume is good. That means there is no restriction in the tank or suction side of the pump.

This is too high.
Go down to pg 20 and run the Fuel pressure regulator test.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/afc_f...Manual.pdf
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: transmssion heat causing vapor lock Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Greg in GA wrote:

there are only two possibilities I can see (1) a bad FPR, or (2) the wrong fuel pump and it is pumping too much fuel for the FPR to dump. Do you have another FPR you can test with? All you really need is to rig it on the floor with alternate hoses. You can even do the test from and back into a gas can if you want but I would do it outside the garage.

I would have to agree with this assessment. If you are still seeing 60-70 PSI with the return line disconnected from the FPR, it can not be something downstream from the regulator causing excessive back pressure, it has to be the regulator itself or as SGKent a larger fuel pump than the regulator is designed to work with.
Greg in GA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: transmssion heat causing vapor lock Reply with quote

I will try and find another FRP (or order one)to test.

The pump is from busdepot, part number 043906091. It did look different than the picture in the catalog. I just figured since I had the same symptoms before the pump was replaced, that the new pump was fine (and not the problem).....but it could be.

Need a really good mechanic for your VW bus? Consider making an appointment with Colin (Amskeptic) next time he passes thru your area.
Greg in GA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: transmssion heat causing vapor lock Reply with quote

update 3: I swapped in a good FPR, no change. I then took the FPR off, turned the pump on and let the system dump into a can...still getting 50 psi. I pumped a liter out of the tank hoping it would flush the system, no luck.

Any suggestions?

I was thinking of taking the spark plugs out to see which one is running rich.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: transmssion heat causing vapor lock Reply with quote

Assuming you are reading your pressure at the port on the fuel manifold on the left head you have to have a blockage between there and where the FPR hooks up. Maybe a hose has come apart inside of thus restricting itself.

I had an orchard bee build a nest in a hose one time and it drove me nuts figuring out what had happened. This was a suction hose though, I think a similar nest on a pressure hose would blow through.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: transmssion heat causing vapor lock Reply with quote

As Wildthings says. It may be a restriction.
Pull the hose off the FPR (fuel pressure regulator) an run that into a can and record your pressure.
Bypass the cold start valve and test.
Pull the hose off that goes from the FPR to the gas tank and see if you can blow through it.
Good luck
Tcash
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: transmssion heat causing vapor lock Reply with quote

Greg in GA wrote:
update 3: I swapped in a good FPR, no change. I then took the FPR off, turned the pump on and let the system dump into a can...still getting 50 psi. I pumped a liter out of the tank hoping it would flush the system, no luck.

Any suggestions?

I was thinking of taking the spark plugs out to see which one is running rich.

Wait....wait.....what?

You .....removed.....the fuel pressure regulator......and then turned the pump on and the gauge STILL reads 50 psi?.....

1. If the line had a restriction in it somewhere between the pump and the gauge.....the gauge would be on the outlet/downstream side and read virtually 0 pressure.

If its still set up like stock your fuel pressure test nipple is on the left side or the engine bay near cylinders 3 and 4....and the fuel pressure regulator is on the right side of the engine compartment near 1 and 2....right?

2. If you removed the fuel pressure regulator from the end of the line and are letting that open hose run into a bucket.....and getting 50 psi......then it is correct as everyone is noting.... that you can have at least a partial restriction somehwere in the lines between cylinder #4 and the cold start valve....or between the cold start valve and cylinder #2....or even a crimped steel Tee between cylinders 2 and 1 or the hose that connects to the fuel pressure regulator.

Or......and I always have to ask.....how sure are you of your gauge accuracy?

If you see no visible kinks in steel lines or hoses.....I am betting its a flap of the inside lining of the hose. Ray
Ray
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: transmssion heat causing vapor lock Reply with quote

Are you connecting your gauge to the middle of #30?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Type 4 Hex head washer for the fuel pressure testing tap
Greg in GA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: transmssion heat causing vapor lock Reply with quote

You .....removed.....the fuel pressure regulator......and then turned the pump on and the gauge STILL reads 50 psi?.....

correct, also, I'm connecting in the middle of #30

1. If the line had a restriction in it somewhere between the pump and the gauge.....the gauge would be on the outlet/downstream side and read virtually 0 pressure.

right, I'm thinking between the gauge (which is on the test port on the rail) and the end of the hose

If its still set up like stock your fuel pressure test nipple is on the left side or the engine bay near cylinders 3 and 4....and the fuel pressure regulator is on the right side of the engine compartment near 1 and 2....right?

correct, completely stock vw

2. If you removed the fuel pressure regulator from the end of the line and are letting that open hose run into a bucket.....and getting 50 psi......then it is correct as everyone is noting.... that you can have at least a partial restriction somewhere in the lines between cylinder #4 and the cold start valve....or between the cold start valve and cylinder #2....or even a crimped steel Tee between cylinders 2 and 1 or the hose that connects to the fuel pressure regulator.

Or......and I always have to ask.....how sure are you of your gauge accuracy?

sort of, when the new engine was installed, we tested the pressure then and it read in the 27-35 range depending on vacuum.

If you see no visible kinks in steel lines or hoses.....I am betting its a flap of the inside lining of the hose. Ray

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: transmssion heat causing vapor lock Reply with quote

I suspect a bad pump myself

hook your pressure gauge directly to the pump outlet and see what you have. that will confirm either a bad pump or a restriction up stream.

and yes, electric pump can fail and give TOO much pressure. uncommon, but I have seen it.

ray, if the inside of the hose were bad, typically you'd have good pressure, but no volume

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: transmssion heat causing vapor lock Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

hook your pressure gauge directly to the pump outlet and see what you have. that will confirm either a bad pump or a restriction up stream.

and yes, electric pump can fail and give TOO much pressure. uncommon, but I have seen it.

ray, if the inside of the hose were bad, typically you'd have good pressure, but no volume

Yes.....thats true but depends on the size of restriction and where it is.

I would agree at this point that a test of the punp alone would be good. It could happen.

Hooking directly to the pump....you need a,short length of hose and the regulator with a gauge tee in between. You cannot dead head it.

If it still reads 60-70 psi.....then it could be as you note.....an actual restriction in the pump.

There are a couple of different variations of how these pumps are designed inside some have a built in bypass orifice or valve if they are designed to put out very high volume per hour. If that valve is screwed or the orifice is plugged.....sure you could get really high pressure.

But typically even in that case.....if you take all the load off thr pump.....meaning disconnect it entirely from the fuel loop on the output end.....and its putting out 50 psi......that would literally be squirting about 10 feet across the room. 50+ psi is the average street pressure of water in most places.

These pumps do not put out pressure. They put out volume and build pressure against the restriction of the fuel pressure regulator.

Thats another question in light of the possibility that the pump may be making excessive pressure........when you last tested it,and the regulator was removed and you were just blowing fuel into the bucket out of the open fuel line.......was it shooting into the bucket with HIGH pressure? Because at 50 psi....coming out of a 5/16" diameter hose......I could wash the ceiling with the way it would be spraying out. Thats higher than injection pressure

So if its just rushing out of the open hose end ....and not spdyaing everywhere. and your gauge is reading 50 psi in that condition.....then either the restriction is between the open end of the hose and the pressure gauge or the gauge itself and its tee is a problem......or your gauge is screwed. Ray
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: transmssion heat causing vapor lock Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

With the pump getting hot. I was thinking this was a possibility too.
But he was experiencing the same symptoms with the old pump.
Tcash
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: transmssion heat causing vapor lock Reply with quote

if it were me I would

1) test the gauge to be sure it is accurate,

2) remove the hose from the 1-2 rail to the FPR at the rail. Remove the hose from the filter and connect it to another piece of hose. put it into a safe jar. Blow low pressure air thru the line until all the gas is out. Put the end of the hose wrapped in a wet towel and blow compressed air thru the lines backwards. Then hook it up and test it again.

FWIW when I rebuild my bus I ran a glass bead gun thru the rails and also cleaned the outside. Then I washed them in hot soapy water and blew the snot out ot them with compressed air before installing them. That way I was sure the whole path was clean of debris.

Last - there are no home brew parts on this like homemade rails or anything like that are there?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: transmssion heat causing vapor lock Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
if it were me I would

1) test the gauge to be sure it is accurate,

2) remove the hose from the 1-2 rail to the FPR at the rail. Remove the hose from the filter and connect it to another piece of hose. put it into a safe jar. Blow low pressure air thru the line until all the gas is out. Put the end of the hose wrapped in a wet towel and blow compressed air thru the lines backwards. Then hook it up and test it again.

FWIW when I rebuild my bus I ran a glass bead gun thru the rails and also cleaned the outside. Then I washed them in hot soapy water and blew the snot out ot them with compressed air before installing them. That way I was sure the whole path was clean of debris.

Last - there are no home brew parts on this like homemade rails or anything like that are there?

Nice distillation of what needs to be done......and test the pump stand alone as well.

Also.....I don't think it was mentioned what kind of gauge he is using with what range.

I have seen no end to the level of variation that can happen in gauges.....that range from very accurate down low or up high.....and not just off by 2-4% in the middle section but....way off the scale wrong (almost the exact reverse of what is normal in a non-rated gauge).......to gauges that jump a whole range or stick and then jump.

Something odd like that....can usually happen due to problems like a weak spot from corrosion in the bourdon tube. As it expands and deflects under pressure....when the weak spot gets stressed....instead of moving in a smooth curve....it kinks. This can misalign the pinion gear that moves the needle causing a jump.
Likewise.....a shock somewhere in the life of the gauge can chip or mangle a tooth on the pinion gear causing a skip.
Ray
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: transmssion heat causing vapor lock Reply with quote

Remember that his gauge is showing 35 psi after shutdown, just like it should. This doesn't sound like a gauge problem at all to me, nor does it sound like a fuel pump problem.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: