Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to Add a Passenger-Side Door Mirror?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: How to Add a Passenger-Side Door Mirror? Reply with quote

Hello All,

I want to install a mirror on the passenger-side door of my '74 Super. My wife will be driving this car more often so I'd like to add this to it for her benefit.

It didn't have one from the dealer so I have to drill the whole for it. Can someone who's done this pipe in and provide some guidance? I don't want to destroy my door or create a "rust receptacle" in it so I want to make sure I do it right.

Thanks!

Vνctor

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: How to Add a Passenger-Side Door Mirror? Reply with quote

Lots of existing threads on this already
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc...=titleonly
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: How to Add a Passenger-Side Door Mirror? Reply with quote

You could add an accessory mirror like this one.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: How to Add a Passenger-Side Door Mirror? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
You could add an accessory mirror like this one.

Nice. Are you selling that?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: How to Add a Passenger-Side Door Mirror? Reply with quote

I was lucky on my 1302S to have a passenger side mirror door with the captive nut already installed from the factory and a plastic bung covering up the hole. You obvious don't and its a fairly major excercise to modify the door to install a captive nut - welding and painting etc.

See the youtube video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uniDbg6XTMc

After watching that you would really have to want the mirror to carry out the installation. You would probably do it if the car was being repainted, but otherwise ?.

Easier to buy a Broadway clip on interior mirror which improves rear view width significantly.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: How to Add a Passenger-Side Door Mirror? Reply with quote

Bummer, that process is way out of my league.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: How to Add a Passenger-Side Door Mirror? Reply with quote

Victor, there are two ways you can go. The easiest choice is to buy a Karmann Ghia right-side mirror with its bracket. You measure where you want this, drill two small holes and attach the bracket and gasket and mirror. In this case, the mounting bracket looks different than the normal left-side, but not too shabby at all.

The other way is to get the template from MidAmerica. It shows exactly where to drill a pilot hole, then the final hole.

In the search function of this forum, punch this in:

Adding Passenger side-view mirror.

This thread discusses both methods.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: How to Add a Passenger-Side Door Mirror? Reply with quote

Thanks Tim- that Ghia mirror looks really nice in that other thread. Looks like a much easier option than cutting and welding!

Now I have to decide between that or the one like Glenn posted.

Victor

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: How to Add a Passenger-Side Door Mirror? Reply with quote

I was talking about this with someone a while back, the best way to do it is buy a door that already has a mirror nut attached.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Add a Passenger-Side Door Mirror? Reply with quote

Not sure on your car, but mine had a factory hole in the door framework behind the doorskin. I found where that hole was, then drilled through the sheet metal. This was before paint, so I breathed easier doing it.

If I remember right I used a VW convertible passenger side mirror that worked well, I purchased it from Antonio aka VW Mexico.
I also bought the 3 blade mirror nut and required gaskets for mirror attachment, and I was able to install the mirror before I installed the window glass. I'm not sure if you can get the mirror installed (meaning hold that nut in place) without removing the vent window or not.

vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Add a Passenger-Side Door Mirror? Reply with quote

TX- good point, I hadn't checked for that. I'll take a look before making a purchase.

Victor

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
rastomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Add a Passenger-Side Door Mirror? Reply with quote

I have done this with a few bugs, but only with screws.
PLACEMENT is very important.
Have the user sit in the car, and fiddle with the placement so that none of the window frame blocks the view.

'74 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Add a Passenger-Side Door Mirror? Reply with quote

If you need to be hand fed Wink just make a template from the divers side and transfer it over to the passenger side. drill a small hole then enlarge it as need be. You might get lucky and have the threaded insert there, if not take the door panel off and install one. No need for welding ,body work paint, etc. The mirror will hold it in.
The hole is there under the door skin, At least all of them I have installed over the years were.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Add a Passenger-Side Door Mirror? Reply with quote

I did the drill a hole and captive nut thing on mine. If I had to do it again i think i would go ghia mirror like Tim O'donahue posted.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Add a Passenger-Side Door Mirror? Reply with quote

Victor, I checked around and Jbugs has the Karmann Ghia mirror, the mounting kit, and rubber seal--all sold separately. The total looked to be around &60.00 before shipping.

This Ghia mod looks to be the easiest--and less potentially destructive--way to go. No work from inside the door, either. You just have the wife sit in the car while you move the mirror up and down, fore and aft. You might also have the wife hold the mirror in this spot to see if it lines up with the old mirror (as you back away from the car and look at it from the front).

Once you have it situated, mark it, then drill the two required small holes. Wa-la! Done.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Add a Passenger-Side Door Mirror? Reply with quote

Tim, it does look like the easiest way to go. A couple of concerns - with cip1 it's the quality of the chrome. Airhead carries a supposedly high quality mirror but they're pricey. And originality - a ghia mirror on the bug...? I admit it looks good, but....and then there's the option Glenn has offered up. I really like it but it is the most expensive option and I'm concerned that it's the kind of accessory that might walk away in a parking lot....decisions, decisions.... Shocked

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Add a Passenger-Side Door Mirror? Reply with quote

In one of the other threads on the subject, I read that Glenn's option broke off easily on the guy who posted about it.

As far as the Karmann Ghia mirror not matching up? That's true to some extent, but since there's a car between the two mirrors, it would be rather difficult to notice the differences between the two mounting methods. I'm seriously thinking about doing this mod. The only thing holding me back is the fact that I know someday I'll be pulling the door apart to install new window scrapers on that side (I already did the left side), which would make it fairly easy for me to just go ahead and drill for the right mirror, set the nut, and use the stock item. MBut if I weren't going to delve so far into the door, I'd definitely use the Ghia setup.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Add a Passenger-Side Door Mirror? Reply with quote

Too bad I didn't think about this earlier because one of the things I did w/the '74 a couple of months back was to disassemble the passenger side door to clean and lube the regulator and the door latch mechanism. Would've been the time to check for that captive nut and install the Bug option, but it didn't even occur to me. d'oh! Yeah, I'll probably go w/the Ghia option.

And 60Ragtop - i confess, I don't mind a little hand-feeding when tackling different things for the 1st time! After all, y'all out west have all kinds of fall-back options if you screw it up and some of you are even real mechanics, machinists, etc!!. Not so in the mid-Atlantic. Hell, the VW scene is so barren out here, I'm the go-to mechanic for at least a couple of other folks in the area!!! Imagine that! Shocked

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: