Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin Sharpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
How will you protect the battery box from the elements and heat?

The photo's show a prototype rack system that will be located inside a steel battery box. The rack provides core strength and the box is sealed to provide protection from the elements.

The battery boxes will use a liquid heating/cooling system. We will undertake some air flow measurements before deciding on the final location of the radiators. One tidy option would be to locate the radiators in the chambers we have created above the wheel arches, drawing air in through the traditional side vents and exhausting through new vents located behind the rear wheels.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

That's going to be one seriously badass bus! Cool Will there be a bolt on path to convert any Early ('71) Baywindow bus?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
aggri1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

Was wondering how you'd deal with battery cooling. Interesting to see how it all fits.

Always thought there'd be loads of space underfloor in a bus for batteries but with the various tubes and things going through...

I've a belly-pan bus (double-door) which may or may not make something like this easier. Probably harder, were I to keep the belly pans since they slope up towards the sides of the vehicle and might restrict battery module height. But would provide protection. Figured I'd cut access hatches in the floor, so batteries are accessible from above.

Thanks for sharing, very interesting.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

aggri1 wrote:
Always thought there'd be loads of space underfloor in a bus for batteries but with the various tubes and things going through...

I've a belly-pan bus (double-door) which may or may not make something like this easier. Probably harder, were I to keep the belly pans since they slope up towards the sides of the vehicle and might restrict battery module height. But would provide protection. Figured I'd cut access hatches in the floor, so batteries are accessible from above.

I believe this is what the guy with the electric 23-Window did.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kevin Sharpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
Will there be a bolt on path to convert any Early ('71) Baywindow bus?

We have removed one panel from the split to give us more access while developing the motor mounts and rear battery box. Apart from that it looks as if everything else will bolt in if you're using the Red 9 IRS on the Bay Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Kevin Sharpe on Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Kevin Sharpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

aggri1 wrote:

We're fitting eight battery modules under the floor between the main rails. It's a tight fit and the double layer height is a problem that we are currently working on Rolling Eyes

aggri1 wrote:
I've a belly-pan bus (double-door) which may or may not make something like this easier. Probably harder, were I to keep the belly pans since they slope up towards the sides of the vehicle and might restrict battery module height. But would provide protection.

I will fit belly pans in the hope it improves aerodynamics and provide another layer of protection to the battery box.

aggri1 wrote:
Figured I'd cut access hatches in the floor, so batteries are accessible from above.

I'm trying to limit the cuts we make to the bus. Battery technology is improving so fast that within a few years we will need half the volume of today's batteries Cool

aggri1 wrote:
Thanks for sharing, very interesting.

np, it's a great project Very Happy
Kevin Sharpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

We put the motor back in the bus today and checked clearances ready for the driveshaft fabrication Smile

Kevin Sharpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I believe this is what the guy with the electric 23-Window did.

That's correct, Jehu Garcia (here) experimented with batteries in the floor but the capacity was severely limited unfortunately Sad

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

yeah, i think jehu is going to make the switch to Tesla modules as well. I bet there will be a video on his youtube channel. He spends a lot of time at EV west these days

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Kevin Sharpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

Porsche wheels Cool

Kevin Sharpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

I spent some time reviewing the weight of the Bus conversion today;

The original bus weighed 1036kg (2285lbs).

Removing the ICE, Gearbox, Fuel Tank, and replacing the front/rear suspension with Red 9 resulted in the bus weighing 852kg (1878lbs).

Installing the Tesla Drive Unit, 4 Tesla Battery Modules and rear battery rack resulted in the bus weighing 1046kg (2306lbs).

Now for another 8 Tesla Battery Modules (200kg / 440lbs), 2 Battery Boxes (TBD), and a bunch of electronics (TBD).

While heavy, it looks as if my 1500kg (3300lbs) kerb weight target is achievable (same as a Nissan Leaf), while leaving 570kg (1250lbs) for payload Cool

Kevin Sharpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

Carefully removing a redundant tab on the Tesla drive unit allows a bolt on IRS and ~350HP motor upgrade without cutting the bus Cool

I'll try and record a video next week Smile

Kevin Sharpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

We've been playing with radiator ideas... here's a 380mm x 280mm x 60mm mockup in the 'cooling cabinet' that we're creating on each side of the bus... we'll use these to get the bus moving and then revisit once we know more about airflow and cooling requirements Cool

Kevin Sharpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

The Tesla drive unit mounting system has been extended to include the rear torsion tube Smile

nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

What does this gain?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

sturdier perhaps? we are going from a 50 horse to a 350 horse motor.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Kevin Sharpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
Exactly, we have more than 330 Nm torque (243 ft/lb) at ~0mph Shocked
Kevin Sharpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

My open source inverter controller turned up today... not long until we start spinning the wheels Cool

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

Kevin Sharpe wrote:
mandraks wrote:
Exactly, we have more than 330 Nm torque (243 ft/lb) at ~0mph Shocked

and plenty of electrical energy to power a stereo making a 'vroom vroom' sound.
Kevin Sharpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

and plenty of electrical energy to power a stereo making a 'vroom vroom' sound.

Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 13

Jump to: