Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

Cool Stuff! how's the bus coming?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aggri1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

Wow, I'm debilitatingly interested, especially if the main bits become available commercially. Have a '67 modified somewhat by previous owner (nothing serious) just waiting for such an upgrade... Definitely will be following this thread with zealous interest.
Kevin Sharpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
Cool Stuff! how's the bus coming?
The company making the production IRS with the Tesla motor mount are behind schedule and we've decided to proceed with our modified Red 9 Design IRS for now. I hope to record a new video in the next couple of weeks showing progress to date Smile
Kevin Sharpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

aggri1 wrote:
Definitely will be following this thread with zealous interest.
Great! It's a fun project for sure Smile
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

I'm curious as to the future purpose of the grear shift? Will you still be able to use it as a Forward or Reverse selector?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
I'm curious as to the future purpose of the grear shift? Will you still be able to use it as a Forward or Reverse selector?

you could make it the throttle!

Using the tesla components is awesome. I just wish they were more readily available and cheaper. I'm still looking into finding a salvaged Nissan Leaf and transplanting the drivetrain over to the bus.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

good point, probably just needs a nice block-off plate.
Might as well delete the emergency brake lever. Expecting that to be electronic as well?

Clutch pedal?

somebody could come up with a real minimalist design for the front.
digital gauge, digital key fob, no ignition keys, etc

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Kevin Sharpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
Sure, if you wanted you could rig up a switch to use the existing gear selector... I plan to remove the gear selector to gain some extra space at the front... I'll probably use a selector on the steering column.
Kevin Sharpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

edgood1 wrote:
I'm still looking into finding a salvaged Nissan Leaf and transplanting the drivetrain over to the bus.
A friend of mine recently purchased a 2014 low mileage Leaf drivetrain for 600 Euros (~700 USD) and while not as integrated as the Tesla drivetrain it can produce ~300HP with an inverter upgrade (the Tesla open source inverter design that I'm using will soon support the Leaf).
Kevin Sharpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
Might as well delete the emergency brake lever. Expecting that to be electronic as well?
The Tesla donor cars use electric parking locks on each wheel. These are integrated into the brake callipers which are rather large for the bus and therefore I will use a traditional mechanical brake.

mandraks wrote:
Clutch pedal?
No clutch required Smile

mandraks wrote:
somebody could come up with a real minimalist design for the front. digital gauge, digital key fob, no ignition keys, etc
Absolutely, almost anything is possible... I'm using the traditional looking gauges with electric sensors for the primary interface but will have a small tablet installed on the overhead ventilation box for displaying detailed system data, GPS, etc.
Kevin Sharpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

Busy couple of days installing the Red 9 front suspension upgrade Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Kevin Sharpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

Experimenting with the connector that supports both rapid AC and DC charging Cool

Kevin Sharpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

We've been running some heating/cooling tests on the Tesla battery modules Cool

nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

Kevin Sharpe wrote:

So for perspective, what are we looking at there in terms of number of modules and physical dimensions and weight?
Kevin Sharpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

3D mockup of proposed Tesla module layout for the two battery boxes. One box (8 modules) will be mounted under the floor between the chassis rails, and another (6 modules) above the motor where the petrol tank was located Cool

I had originally planned to build a new chassis that would accommodate all batteries under the floor. However, battery technology is improving so quickly that I decided to shoe horn the batteries in and revisit in a few years when they are half the size/weight.

Last edited by Kevin Sharpe on Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Kevin Sharpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
So for perspective, what are we looking at there in terms of number of modules and physical dimensions and weight?

Each Tesla module is 12" x 3" x 27" and weighs 55lbs. I'm installing 14 which will give me a range of ~370 miles.

Today the battery will be big and heavy if you want long range. However, the battery in the 2020 Tesla Roadster (here) will be half the size and (presumably) half the weight. In the future I will upgrade the batteries in the bus as the technology improves... this will simply involve replacing one battery box with another because they are designed to bolt in Cool
Kevin Sharpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

Rapid AC/DC charging connector installed Smile

Kevin Sharpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

Lots of experiments with the battery boxes and I have decided to reduce the number of Tesla battery modules in the rear to four and save some weight.

In total the twelve Tesla modules will give me 63kWh (P85 modules) or 75kWh (P100 modules) which should be plenty when combined with rapid charging Cool

Kevin Sharpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

Back of the bus with IRS upgrade... almost ready to install the Tesla drive unit and rear battery box Very Happy

nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

You've undercoated the bus I see. How will you protect the battery box from the elements and heat?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 13

Jump to: