Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shock Absorber OE (Front & Rear) TTS opinions?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Shock Absorber OE (Front & Rear) TTS opinions? Reply with quote

Anyone had any experience with TheThingShop's SHOCK ABSORBER OE (Front & Rear)? I'd like to replace my old KYB's and not sure Koni's are worth the cost.

The pricing is very attractive unless they are just as stiff as KYB's.

My Thanks,
-sjhotz

74 Thing
72 Bay Window Westy TinTop
sickvwguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: SHOCK ABSORBER OE (Front & Rear) TTS opinions? Reply with quote

I just installed the TTS front shocks on my 71', I have only driven it a little bit due to the brakes being super spongy, but first thoughts are that they are a nice ride and look to be a quality product. Again I have not had much seat time as of yet but so far so good!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: SHOCK ABSORBER OE (Front & Rear) TTS opinions? Reply with quote

Koni red shocks are the best item I ever added to my car.
guppysoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Shock Absorber OE (Front & Rear) TTS opinions? Reply with quote

I replaced my KYB gas adjust with Bilsteins. What a difference! 1000% better ride. Those KYBs where hard riding SOBs.
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Shock Absorber OE (Front & Rear) TTS opinions? Reply with quote

Can't go wrong with either the Konis or the Bilsteins.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Shock Absorber OE (Front & Rear) TTS opinions? Reply with quote

I have Bilstein shock absorbers on my 181.
B46-620 Front
B46-034 Rear

The front shock mount kits are required, at least for the specified shock absorbers.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Shock Absorber OE (Front & Rear) TTS opinions? Reply with quote

I have Koni's on my 72 Bus and am aware of they're impressive adjustability and ride, no argument there. The Billsteins also have a sterling reputation and truthfully there is not much price difference between them and Koni's. So most likely I'll opt for Koni's if it's between them and the KYB's, yet the price point of TTS OE shocks at $45.00 each is extremely tempting!

sickvwguy, I am very interested in your further impressions once you have an opportunity to post them (post spongy brake repair of course)!

74 Thing
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Shock Absorber OE (Front & Rear) TTS opinions? Reply with quote

I like the Konis because they're adjustable.

I had a set on my Porsche 356 replica. I set the rears on 3/4 hard, because of the extra weight of the engine, and the fronts on 1/4 hard, because there is little weight over the front end.

Worked great for me. The back end didn't move around as much, and the front end was firm, but nowhere near as harsh as most gas shocks.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Shock Absorber OE (Front & Rear) TTS opinions? Reply with quote

All my VWs wear the heaviest Bilsteins that will fit. I get them online from eshocks.com Don's Buggies in Michigian.. http://www.eshocks.com/Shocks_Vehicles.asp?Veh_Gro...l&MF=N
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Shock Absorber OE (Front & Rear) TTS opinions? Reply with quote

OK! Time to take a risk!

Once again, I am aware of how awesome people think the Billsteins are. I am also aware of the advantages of Koni's (personal experience).

What I asked about and really need to hear is opinions about TTS's OE shocks. Please don't misunderstand, I completely agree with all your evaluations everyone. But none of them answers my question as to whether TTS shocks are a viable alternative.

/commence rage replies....

-sjhotz

74 Thing
GMByers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Shock Absorber OE (Front & Rear) TTS opinions? Reply with quote

I purchased and installed TTS shocks this summer. Have yet to drive my Thing since.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: