Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW "Type X" for a clock project
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: VW "Type X" for a clock project Reply with quote

Im machining a large VW symbol with some blueprint marking details, leaving it raw metal for patina to creep in! I have been trying to figure out how Id like to do the numbers and realized I could use the "type" number, as the number, but a photo of the car instead.

So, for the 1 o'clock position, it would be a photo of the Type 1. 2 o'clock would be a Type 2, Type 3 and so on!

My little issue is, due to my novice findings to the different Types, Im running into issues trying to make something fit for the o'clocks with no Types. ...if that makes sense...

Is there a Type 6? Type 8?

If anyone would care to share some clever ideas to cover the Types that dont have a single digit Id love to hear them! I dont mind putting a number in place of a non Type availability but would rather showcase as many VW's as I can!

Thanks for any help and Ill be posting my progress as I make the ensemble VW Logo Dancing
76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: VW "Type X" for a clock project Reply with quote

Type 6 would be Grandpa Petes bug/bus combo. Maybe for like 5 o'clock you could put a type 4 and type 1 together (4+1=5) and go on from there like that.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: VW "Type X" for a clock project Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466290&highlight=

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: VW "Type X" for a clock project Reply with quote

Maybe a Formula Vee for 5 is not too far a stretch?

Maybe a vintage photo of a rally beetle with 10 on the door would suffice for X?

A close up photo of a an original "1200" badge may work- and 11 window standard or kombi should be clear enough for most VW people.

There may have been a "10 millionth" beetle edition too come to think of it.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: VW "Type X" for a clock project Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Maybe a Formula Vee for 5 is not too far a stretch?

Maybe a vintage photo of a rally beetle with 10 on the door would suffice for X?

A close up photo of a an original "1200" badge may work- and 11 window standard or kombi should be clear enough for most VW people.

There may have been a "10 millionth" beetle edition too come to think of it.

Daaaaang!

Slow clap! Those are some really great outside the box ideas! I wouldn't have thought to go that way! I like the rally idea for sure! If nothing else I can have my friend do color stickers and put some graphics on the Beetle to make it look rally if I can't find a good photo. Thanks!!!
76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: VW "Type X" for a clock project Reply with quote

the formula ve is a nice idea. or just a beer or jack daniels pic......it's 5oclock somewhere.....
4 could be a vw GOLF cart...6 could be a camper buss (sex Shocked Cool ) 8 could be......181...... just be sure to post a pic when your done.
Pez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: VW "Type X" for a clock project Reply with quote

How about a Volksrod for the Type X? Kind of a VW top secret prototype thing

Edit: Never mind, I found your "Type X".

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: VW "Type X" for a clock project Reply with quote

Pez wrote:
How about a Volksrod for the Type X? Kind of a VW top secret prototype thing

Edit: Never mind, I found your "Type X".

lol I dont think you need to post anymore suggestions. Youve helped enough with that photo Rolling Eyes Shocked
76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: VW "Type X" for a clock project Reply with quote

Started cutting today after getting the logo all drawn up on MX7. No photos of the drilling since thats boring and nobody wants to see a rusty hole, then on to the wire EDM. Notches are dropping out and then time to do some "o'clocking" for the types!

76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: VW "Type X" for a clock project Reply with quote

Time to start plucking photos off the intronets for my numbers! Got the clock face done this morning. Think I may try and cut this in half to make 2 clocks! Leaving the steel bare so I can get some nice patina on it Cool

76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: VW "Type X" for a clock project Reply with quote

Very cool.

Also digging your Fabrique Nationale desk pad. Brings back memories.
FN C1 A1
Mmmmmm.
The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: VW "Type X" for a clock project Reply with quote

Bob Loblaw wrote:
Very cool.

Also digging your Fabrique Nationale desk pad. Brings back memories.
FN C1 A1
Mmmmmm.

Thanks!

I had/have my own gun business and used to sell those gun mats. They make perfect keyboard and mouse pads! I blow chips and oils from the shop right off them. The only thing that likes sticking to it is stainless and ti chips. Maybe chipotle sauce every now and then lol The AR, Winchester, and Ruger mats Id use would get bought by friends from work so this pad is apparently the least liked hahahaha
76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: VW "Type X" for a clock project Reply with quote

I want to do a type 4 engine for 4 o'clock but cant find any show quality photos to use for the sticker. Can anyone help with a pretty type 4 or a type 4 exploded view diagram?
76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: VW "Type X" for a clock project Reply with quote

If the VW world fails you for type 4 try Porsche 914 folks- they're picky you know. Cool

Also: look for Brazilia and SP2 engines. Oh, and (gulp) trike...

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: VW "Type X" for a clock project Reply with quote

There is also a thread here with pics of factory left grease pencil numbering on the car bodies that might provide missing numbering ideas. Sorry I can't seem to find it to link.
The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: VW "Type X" for a clock project Reply with quote

Ok, crowd sourcing ideas for the missing "type 10." The only thing I can think of is making a car with the 10 on the door for a number plate or the Bugatti Type 10 from 1909. VW hadnt purchased Bugatti until nearly a century later.
76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: VW "Type X" for a clock project Reply with quote

10mm Hazet wrench?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: VW "Type X" for a clock project Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
10mm Hazet wrench?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YES G DAMMIT YES!
76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: