Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trying to impress a girl - Pagosa Springs CO cool ideas request
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to impress a girl - Pagosa Springs CO cool ideas request Reply with quote

Pics of her or it never happened
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to impress a girl - Pagosa Springs CO cool ideas request Reply with quote

You might get a Thetford portapotty. And one of the 4x6 rear tent-room to lodge it in-- in case. If stealth camping, you might let her know you'll leave the van for a few minutes while he does her business.
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to impress a girl - Pagosa Springs CO cool ideas request Reply with quote

When you pick her up, tell her dad the van has a bed and then wink at him. Chicks dig it when you piss off daddy. Heheh
They also like Mom tattoos on your forearm.
Leave large denomination bills lying around like you don't care.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to impress a girl - Pagosa Springs CO cool ideas request Reply with quote

Impress??...

You either have a connection "chemistry" or you don't.

Any girl worth being with wants to be with you because you are you. Not because you have something or do something considered impressive.

Setting up the "impress game" can make for a shallow and forced relationship.

Be yourself, see what happens.

(Also I'm the Father of only Female offspring)

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to impress a girl - Pagosa Springs CO cool ideas request Reply with quote

AZ Landshaper wrote:
From the father of two daughters, be a freakin' gentlemen. Make sure you hold the door for her when she steps into the tow truck LOL.

Actually I hope this chick is adventurous and Ive got my fingers crossed that your rig makes it out and back.

As the father of six, if you cross one of mine, she will break your back like a twig. Then bury you in 80 bags of cement. Have fun.
figborg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to impress a girl - Pagosa Springs CO cool ideas request Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Impress??...

You either have a connection "chemistry" or you don't.

Hey Dave,
I'm impressed that people still want to impress. In the age of Tinder, Grinder and the like it's more about quick connections than lasting relationships. Happy to see that some people are still going a step further in the game Very Happy

Let's say I'm glad I'm not dating at the moment...

To the OP, looking for local breweries is a great idea. I would focus on the daytime more than the night time. Also, offer the option of sleeping in different bunks Laughing
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662374

Last edited by figborg on Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to impress a girl - Pagosa Springs CO cool ideas request Reply with quote

the 'impress game', it's right up there with 'on a pedestal' and "daddy'd little princess'

knock her over in the mud, offer her a hand.. if she retaliates with a grin/smile.. game on..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to impress a girl - Pagosa Springs CO cool ideas request Reply with quote

campism wrote:
… be sure to check the van thoroughly before departure. Chicks do not dig breakdowns.

Thanks for filling up my last two day :-/ no really, thanks. Some stuff I have wanted to finish anyway. Definitely a different mindset of on-adventure mechanicing vs. setting it up (as possible in two days) a non-event outing.

gvisconty wrote:
Bonus points for figuring out her favorite song without asking and whistling it while you work. (this will only work once)

One of the favorites is at the festival, will be cram studying tonight.

figborg wrote:
Cook her a meal in the van and serve wine or beer, then do the dishes. …. Also, wash the exterior and clean the interior.!

Like that dinner idea. I was sad to see a year’s worth patina go Sad

Vanagon Nut wrote:
1. Do not talk too much about your Vanagon

Too late Razz

Vanagon Nut wrote:
3. Before she sees your Vanagon, show her this video. (at your own risk Wink JK ) (features a Vanagon) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTqPT0Wt7Ws

As written earlier, that video was a hit! Turns out that Vanilla Pop is playing at this local Fancy Car Fundraiser. www.SeeHotCars.com My van is not up in flash to compete with those there though are some vintage wheels there http://seehotcars.rallydusoleil.org/gallery/ I did ask her to go to that with me, the response so far was “Thanks for the invite, I may decline”…guess she’s waiting to see how this outing goes ... eeek d'oh!

Steve M. wrote:
Let her drive it.

For sure. She said she can drive stick and hedged her bet with “It’s been a long time”

dhaavers wrote:
PS: No local expertise, but allow me to Google"Pagosa Springs dispersed camping" for you... Wink ….Looks like a lot of potential out there! Cool

Wink ** Thumbs up** for the first answer to the original question!! (doesn’t mean I don’t love the others!!) That link lead me to the Lower Piedra which one reviewer has as “This easy to find camp site was amazingly beautiful. Right on the river, and probably one of the best free spots I've found in Colorado. “

AZ Landshaper wrote:
Make sure you hold the door for her when she steps into the tow truck LOL.

Man, I got AAA PREMIER!!

wontfalia wrote:
Let her take a nap in the bed as you drive her to the festival.

Cool Cool

atomatom wrote:
if she won't accept the adventure/thrill of the possibility of the van breaking down you have the wrong van or wrong woman.

There may not be a more true litmus test of vaning or life.

Pcforno wrote:
There's not much "secret camping" immediately around pagosa. We usually camp by the river at piedra. Lots of free spots. Depending on time check out the west fork San Juan hot springs (6 mile hike). Riff raf brewery or the kip's are good. For fancier food there's La Beuff (French food in west pagosa) or alley house (you'll need reservations)

** Thumbs up** for the second answer to the original question!! Love the hot springs idea!! The stuff around Piedra Hot springs looks good.

pinetreeporsche wrote:
You might get a Thetford portapotty. ….. If stealth camping, you might let her know you'll leave the van for a few minutes while he does her business.

Actually have one of those from back-in-time when the kids were little. Amazing how much road time that saved…yes, they pee’d unbuckled. Nice to see the van in “Life Part 2”.

Also, mentioned this to girl that I have one of these when advocating for dispersed camping. Reply was….. “A porta potty in the van. Faaancy!” I still don’t know if she was being sarcastic or not :-/

greebly wrote:
When you pick her up, tell her dad the van has a bed and then wink at him. ….
Leave large denomination bills lying around like you don't care.

Them bills were changed for van parts Wink

figborg wrote:
I'm impressed that people still want to impress. In the age of Tinder, Grinder and the like it's more about quick connections than lasting relationships. Happy to see that some people are still going a step further in the game Very Happy

I’m with you…..chemistry plus doing something special.

figborg wrote:
focus on the daytime more than the night time. Also, offer the option of sleeping in different bunks Laughing

Agree. And, mentioned the two bunks. Reply was “I’ll bring my tent. Love my little tent. Have a blow up cushion and its really comfortable.” Her: self-identified "can be sarcastic", Me: clueless Very Happy

Just the planning and getting ready has been fun so far!

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
figborg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to impress a girl - Pagosa Springs CO cool ideas request Reply with quote

We are expecting a full report when you get back Popcorn
Enjoy!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662374
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to impress a girl - Pagosa Springs CO cool ideas request Reply with quote

Picked up my new girlfriend at her parents house (she just turned 19 and I was 22) back in '82 in my '71 camper with shag carpet on the floor, walls, and ceiling. Her parents loved it. So did she. We have been together 35 years. Do not try too hard. If it will be it will be. (BTW what was I thinking back then? Laughing )

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to impress a girl - Pagosa Springs CO cool ideas request Reply with quote

Yeah, let us know how it went!

Bringing her tent? Either she has no idea and will be impressed by the van luxury, or she is very sarcastic and hard to discern.
You can always ditch her at the next gas station Laughing Laughing Laughing
Don't be too much of a wimp, that's a turn off. Be cool, be yourself as others have said, if you have a VW van, you're definitely above the average person anyway Cool Cool

One simple test I loved doing to girls, is the lock test.

You open the door to the lady, she gets in.
Then you have to get to the driver's side to unlock the door. Bonus point if she leans over to pop it open for you. Says a lot, or not Laughing
It works with friends too, not just GF Wink

I've noticed it's been hard to find people doing it for you since all cars have key less entry stuff now Rolling Eyes
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to impress a girl - Pagosa Springs CO cool ideas request Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
Yeah, let us know how it went!

Bringing her tent? Either she has no idea and will be impressed by the van luxury, or she is very sarcastic and hard to discern.
You can always ditch her at the next gas station Laughing Laughing Laughing
Don't be too much of a wimp, that's a turn off. Be cool, be yourself as others have said, if you have a VW van, you're definitely above the average person anyway Cool Cool

One simple test I loved doing to girls, is the lock test.

You open the door to the lady, she gets in.
Then you have to get to the driver's side to unlock the door. Bonus point if she leans over to pop it open for you. Says a lot, or not Laughing
It works with friends too, not just GF Wink

I've noticed it's been hard to find people doing it for you since all cars have key less entry stuff now Rolling Eyes

Right out of ' Bronx Tale'
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to impress a girl - Pagosa Springs CO cool ideas request Reply with quote

I give new riders a briefing on the procedures to be followed if there is an engine fire. I also tell them that I have GEX rebuilt engine and AAA.

Aloha
tp
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to impress a girl - Pagosa Springs CO cool ideas request Reply with quote

To the OP, did our Westys per chance cross paths Monday afternoon just east of Pagosa Springs? (with a customary wave, natch)

— Colin Chapman
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to impress a girl - Pagosa Springs CO cool ideas request Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input! It was a great trip. The tone is that the 40s are different than the 20s are different (dobryvan). An excellent friendship and a future full of possibilities.

Cook her a campfire steak and you may have her heart.

Yeah, she brought and used her tent. The first night was warm. I slept outside in the hammock under the bright moon, her sleeping pad deflated Cool . Second night I was in top bunk, she gave the tent a second try and transitioned to the lower bunk at 4a because of cold. I hopped down and we told ghost stories.

Sipping coffee chatting on the lower bunk was one of our favorite times. To the dude on here that has the stove ignitor mod where he has coffee set on the stove to just reach over in the morning to twist the burner on and push a button to ignite.....I’m adding that Smile

Girl read this thread (thanks for keeping it clean)

atomatom wrote:
if she won't accept the adventure/thrill of the possibility of the van breaking down you have the wrong van or wrong woman.
made her laugh.

and as far as the report request (figborg) she said I should tell the (samba) guys that I ruined tent camping for her!! (ALIKA T3)

And the van got some love too (campism and others) – changed tranny fluid, replace/lube shifter bushings WOW what a difference, replaced seeping coolant tee, topped off AC, oil change, good cleaning inside/out. Plus an unexpected fix when getting to the tranny drain, I discovered a cracked exhaust header which a friend welded back up, installed a flex joint, and now is better than new.

Yeah, it was awesome.

PS to E1: that wasn’t us. We were always W of Pagosa. A campground about 15 min W Ute Campground..we, surprisingly, had the whole place to ourselves. There was a great Vanagon contingent at the festival. Saw probably a total of 10 vans with like 6 of them in a group.

For (newfisher)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to impress a girl - Pagosa Springs CO cool ideas request Reply with quote

From the totally-useless files...

Our buses are brothers.

And I just bought a used shirt at the outdoor exchange place -- in Pagosa -- that is your EXACT shirt (all my clothes match our bus). Wink

< End useless information >

— Colin Chapman
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to impress a girl - Pagosa Springs CO cool ideas request Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
atomatom wrote:
made her laugh.

and as far as the report request (figborg) she said I should tell the (samba) guys that I ruined tent camping for her!! (ALIKA T3) ...

Aloha
tp
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to impress a girl - Pagosa Springs CO cool ideas request Reply with quote

Well done and glad it went well on all accords...you meet the nicest people on all accords. It's been so long since I dated I wouldn't remember how, so I'm going to stick with impressing my SWMBO of 30 years
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to impress a girl - Pagosa Springs CO cool ideas request Reply with quote

Great time! Very Happy

(And always keep the SWMBO happy....)

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to impress a girl - Pagosa Springs CO cool ideas request Reply with quote

Significant Westy mechanic-bride-other?

Yep, a keeper. Wink

— Colin Chapman
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: