Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

copper nuts aren't.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: copper nuts aren't. Reply with quote

a word on copper nuts... i've gotten them from two different vendors (shipped with Go Westy SS exhaust and Autohausaz) and they are merely copper coated steel nuts. the copper coating is thin and if you touch one to a grinder, you see ferrous sparks and reveals steel. they are strongly magnetic.

maybe 'copper nuts' were always this way but with as thin as the coating is, i wouldn't expect them to last very long.

-dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: copper nuts aren't. Reply with quote

Copper nuts used for things like exhaust are, and always have been, copper plated, not solid copper.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: copper nuts aren't. Reply with quote

X2, always have been copper plated.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: copper nuts aren't. Reply with quote

ah. good to know. thought maybe some clever offshore bulk distributor flooded the US with fake nuts.

the thin coating bothered me when i did my exhaust install and so i used stainless nuts with high temp copper antiseize, which has worked well in the past on the exhaust port connections. used the copper nuts everywhere else.

-dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: copper nuts aren't. Reply with quote

solid copper is to soft, they would strip..
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: copper nuts aren't. Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
ah. good to know. thought maybe some clever offshore bulk distributor flooded the US with fake nuts.

the thin coating bothered me when i did my exhaust install and so i used stainless nuts with high temp copper antiseize, which has worked well in the past on the exhaust port connections. used the copper nuts everywhere else.

-dan

Yeah, I have a bag of a 100 from Febi. Quite junk Rolling Eyes

I use real thick copper/brass alloy or something (it's in between copper and brass in color) stuff from old solar battery lugs Razz

I crunch them a bit or I use the lock washers that are in the same material. Anytime I have enough thread, I cover them with an acorn nut, plus a good load of copper antiseize. Butter Cool
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: copper nuts aren't. Reply with quote

vwjetboat wrote:
solid copper is to soft, they would strip..

yep!

Use the copper based Permatex Copper Anti-Seize on them.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: copper nuts aren't. Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
... i used stainless nuts with high temp copper antiseize ...

With stainless you should use a zinc based antiseize. The problem with stainless is galling not corrosion.
https://www.permatex.com/products/lubricants/speci...lubricant/

Aloha
tp
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: copper nuts aren't. Reply with quote

Brass nuts are commonly available for manifold applications. I have used them on many vehicles.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: copper nuts aren't. Reply with quote

Zinc based anti seize is used with stainless to prevent galling It's not about nobility, galvanic action, or corrosion.

https://www.fastenal.com/content/feds/pdf/Article%20-%20Galling.pdf

Aloha
tp
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: copper nuts aren't. Reply with quote

Anyone try " Deez nuts"?
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: copper nuts aren't. Reply with quote

those are black oxide

good stuff
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: copper nuts aren't. Reply with quote

in this case, galling isn't an issue with a stainless nut on steel stud, it's stainless on stainless where things gall easily. so a high temp, copper antiseize is the ticket for max removal in the future along with corrosion resistance. nickel and zinc based antiseize just don't have persistence at high temp like the copper does, at least in my experience.

-dan
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: copper nuts aren't. Reply with quote

newfisher wrote:
Anyone try " Deez nuts"?

I've tried DZ nuts, but I think that's a bit off topic.

https://www.dz-nuts.com/
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: copper nuts aren't. Reply with quote

An old trick I was shown to prevent galling on stainless-stainless connections was to let a bottle of Milk of Magnesia settle, pour off the liquid and use the dregs as the anti-seize.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: copper nuts aren't. Reply with quote

Pennies aren't real copper either.

Ah the good old days.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: copper nuts aren't. Reply with quote

I'd check the torque spec on those SS nuts - good chance they can't handle the specs of the manifold torque.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: copper nuts aren't. Reply with quote

People love stainless but fail to grasp that stainless is a very weak fastener. Be real careful where you install a stainless nut, bolt or screw.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: copper nuts aren't. Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
People love stainless but fail to grasp that stainless is a very weak fastener. Be real careful where you install a stainless nut, bolt or screw.

Dave

Brittle and never over torque the spec for the particlular hardware component ie if a mild steel grade 5 allows for a component tq spec of say 15 ft lbs, using a stainless fastner may snap at 15 if the stainless bolt snaps at 11. I only use stainless for outdoor direct element exposure on decorative items with no specific torque.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: copper nuts aren't. Reply with quote

The "copper" nuts are plated steel, the Copper plating acts as a high-temperature anti-seizing / anti-galling barrier.

You will live to regret using stainless on exhaust systems. BTDT ain't doing it ever again!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: