Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

distributor drive gear installation questions
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: distributor drive gear installation questions Reply with quote

I'm not a distributor know-it-all... but I don't see how a quarter would have fit down that little hole. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: distributor drive gear installation questions Reply with quote

That is the spring.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: distributor drive gear installation questions Reply with quote

Loosen the a few of the 8mm case nuts (13mm socket/wrench) above and below the oil pump, that will take the tension off the pump housing, should easily pry out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: distributor drive gear installation questions Reply with quote

This is going to sound to simple but look at the bottom of the distributor drive, carefully. I once spent an hour sweeping the floor with a magnet, then probing the case, removing the oil pump searching for the washer, turned out it was stuck to the bottom of the drive gear right where it was suppose to be, oil suction made it one with the drive.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: distributor drive gear installation questions Reply with quote

Maybe it fell into the oil screen?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: distributor drive gear installation questions Reply with quote

turn the drive gear over and look closely at the bottom.

Yes that is the spring.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: distributor drive gear installation questions Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Quote:
Bentley and Wilson are vague in this regard

Bentley - "the two shim washers that are under the under the shaft on single-carburetor engines or the single spacer washer that is under the shaft on dual-carburetor engines." then it goes on what the thicknesses should be for good ones etc. and mentions dual carb and FI are the same.

I think I'm being argumentative because Bentley only discusses new engines, or dealer-quality parts and labor in 1979, but Wilson also considers that engines wear out and must be inspected before taking the best course of action for each individual owner.

Tom Wilson, on page 119 wrote:
Adjust the clearance by changing shims. You can install any number of shims of different thicknesses to get the desired clearance as long as you have at least two shims in Type 1-3 engines and one in Type 4s.

--

Andrew, the important thing here is that we make sure you do not have a loose washer in the cam gear well of your case.

Gary, only liquids and tiny particles can get out of the cam gear well into the main sump. Check out the top right picture on page 123 of Wilson's book. It's dimensionally different but theoretically the same as a Type 1 as far as this discussion is concerned.

https://books.google.com/books?id=pGhO-375iG0C&...mp;f=false

Andrew, again, see the photo on the top left of page 123 in that link? That's the angle you will want to orient your case on the engine stand. Once there, tap the bottom of the case with a leather or rubber mallet a few dozen times to convince the washer, (if it's in there) to slide to the left. Then the magnet on a string should help you out, (if it's in there.)

Let us know if Pelican Parts can't come through with a washer. In the mean time, stuff a rag down the hole, then tape it shut, and get on with your cleaning. Clock is ticking until October! Smile

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: distributor drive gear installation questions Reply with quote

Well -maybe we can close this one out.

While I cannot claim success for my mechanical skills (which is obvious due to the mere existence of this thread) I can claim success for finding that damn washer.

I did a more careful examination of the crap the drive gear fell into, this time actually unfolding each of the gazillion grime and oil soaked paper towels and that little sucker was in there. I hope I never have to do that again! I'm mostly happy to know that it is not rolling around in my engine case.

Now it's time for that lottery ticket. Maybe not a mega-millions - but at least a scratch off.

So tune in again in a couple of weeks when I can't manage to get the drive gear back in properly and need some more wisdom thrown my way.

Again - thanks to you all.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: distributor drive gear installation questions Reply with quote

Dancing

Finding TDC #1/ Installing Drive Gear and Dist.

Happy Friday
Tcash
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: distributor drive gear installation questions Reply with quote

Thanks Tcash - I already had that one bookmarked
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: distributor drive gear installation questions Reply with quote

Good Job. That probably only happens once in 10,000 rebuilds but it has to happen to someone. Losing track of that washer/shims etc., is probably the biggest fear many of us have when pulling that drive gear. It is such a tiny part but it can cause so much damage.

When you go to put it back in, put a dab of grease on it. Slide it onto a long screwdriver and hold it from dropping with your finger. Then put the screwdriver tip into the hole where the bottom of the drive gear goes. Let it fall, but it can't fall into the well because of the screwdriver tip in the hole. Use another screwdriver to center it and mash it down where the grease holds it, then put your gear in. That is better than using grease to stick it to the bottom of the gear. Make sure you are at TDC on the firing stoke before you put it in. You can tell that by how the valves are.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: distributor drive gear installation questions Reply with quote

Another sure-fire way to avoid dropping it errantly: like Steve Kent said, but instead of a screwdriver, use a 12" piece of straight wire coat hanger (or welding rod wire), feed it down into the drive bore, THEN drop your washer right over the top of that wire, and down it goes.

Before pulling the wire out, reach in with another thin wire, and gently tap it around the perimeter to "stick" it to the land.
CarlosZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: distributor drive gear installation questions Reply with quote

Use a wooden chopstick. It'll work to guide the spacer. Tap the chop stick into the hole where the spring goes to lift and guide the gear in place. Make sure to not lift the gear too much as to not let the spacer fall.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: distributor drive gear installation questions Reply with quote

CarlosZ wrote:
Use a wooden chopstick. It'll work to guide the spacer. Tap the chop stick into the hole where the spring goes to lift and guide the gear in place. Make sure to not lift the gear too much as to not let the spacer fall.

Today's fortune
"You will find many uses for chopsticks"
TPG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: distributor drive gear installation questions Reply with quote

I'm in need of a Distributor Drive Pinion Washer P/N 021 105 235. If anyone has one and willing to let it go please let me Know

Thanks
TPG
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: distributor drive gear installation questions Reply with quote

TPG wrote:
I'm in need of a Distributor Drive Pinion Washer P/N 021 105 235. If anyone has one and willing to let it go please let me Know

Thanks
TPG

Hi there, and welcome. Have you tried calling Pelican Oarts and asking them? Phone number is posted in this thread..

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: distributor drive gear installation questions Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
TPG wrote:

Thanks
TPG

Hi there, and welcome. Have you tried calling Pelican Oarts and asking them? Phone number is posted in this thread..

Robbie

Is Oart a valid word to use on The Samba? Wink

https://www.anagrammer.com/scrabble/oart
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: distributor drive gear installation questions Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
asiab3 wrote:
TPG wrote:

Thanks
TPG

Robbie

Is Oart a valid word to use on The Samba? Wink

https://www.anagrammer.com/scrabble/oart

Yikes. Looks like you need to brush up on your Luxembourgish, obviously……

https://translate.google.com/?sl=pt#lb/en/oart

Laughing

--

Pelican Parts, purveyors of Type 4 parts: 888-280-7799

Robbie
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: