Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trinity Camper Build Thread - Serenity
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluestripe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Trinity Camper Build Thread - Serenity Reply with quote

In May, we rented an orange, 1972 camper named Lola in Scotland for our honeymoon. We had so much fun that we decided we needed one of our own.

We've named her Serenity, because we are both big Firefly fans and because that's what camping is all about for us. We found her on Craigslist down in Gilbert, AZ, and she's always been a Southwestern bus. Originally bought in Mesa, AZ in the spring of 1973, her original owner evidently immediately drove her out to Ojai, CA, where Trinity Campers turned a 7 passenger "station wagon" into a camper by adding a Sportsmobile penthouse, awning and curtains, plus probably other modifications now lost.

We've got fragments of service records from California, Arizona and New Mexico over the years, which probably accounts for her good bones. Only surface rust in the expected places.

According to the PO, she ran earlier this year, but nothing works now. We'll use this thread to document her restoration.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Trinity Camper Build Thread - Serenity Reply with quote

You can decode your M-plate.
M-Plate Location
ajplmama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Trinity Camper Build Thread - Serenity Reply with quote

Very cool! We're in the early stages of a restoration too and I look forward to watching your progress.

1978 pastel white bay, westy camper being restored
1975 ugly green bay, westy camper for parts
1974 red bay window unknown interior fate TBD
Gonzo1970
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Trinity Camper Build Thread - Serenity Reply with quote

Good luck on your journey! I'm about mid-way thru mine! Smile

-Gonz
What a long, strange trip it's been
bluestripe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Trinity Camper Build Thread - Serenity Reply with quote

The PO delivered Serenity to us, because, among other things, her tires were shot. So our first order of business was to get her back on her feet. We took all four tires off, sanded off the rust and primed the wheels. We'll paint them later, to match her Pastel White topside. Four new tires and she was standing tall. Until the following week, when one of the new tires went flat! But that was an easy fix for our local tire shop.

It's a long drive from Gilbert to Prescott, most of it uphill.

Fresh new tires on refreshed wheels
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Trinity Camper Build Thread - Serenity Reply with quote

great looking ride! I may be partial to your setup.
bluestripe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Trinity Camper Build Thread - Serenity Reply with quote

Dang, that's our bus! That's a Sportsmobile penthouse on yours as well. It doesn't have a Trinity campus sticker on it anywhere, does it?
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Trinity Camper Build Thread - Serenity Reply with quote

The body and the canvas looks nice, I'm digging the patina. Everyone on the east coast hates you because they can't find rust free buses like that. Have fun and the best of luck to you with your build.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Trinity Camper Build Thread - Serenity Reply with quote

Nice bus and what a great, rust free foundation to build on. Lots of buses in the Prescott area as well.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: