Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

front passenger quarter panel ID
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: front passenger quarter panel ID Reply with quote

Anyone have a way to identify this clip? I'm wondering if it is a factory vw replacement or aftermarket, and maybe a ballpark year that it would fit. I tried searching the part number on the tag with no luck.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: front passenger quarter panel ID Reply with quote

It is a '60 quarter panel. It doesn't have the indentation or support piece for the '61 and later flat gas tank so that makes it '60 and earlier but it also doesn't have the holes cut for the metal headlight tube which was last used in '59. It also has no trim holes so technically it would be a accurate panel for a standard model. Drill the trim holes and it is for a deluxe. It also has the weld nuts as opposed to those horrid press in square nuts used on later cars. It looks like an OG VW stamping to me.

It could also have been the standard replacement part for all '60 and earlier cars. It has all of the stamping details that an earlier panel would have so it would only require the proper holes to be drilled for the metal headlight tube or turn signals if the car it was going on required them.

I know for a fact they did with with the early style doors. They didn't cut the hole for the front of the door handle so it could be used on an earlier ice pick handled car. To use it on a '60 and later style door handles the front hole had to be cut. I have an early 70's VW dealer parts book that shows this. Doing this allowed the dealer to stock fewer spare parts that covered a wider range of model years.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: front passenger quarter panel ID Reply with quote

I to suppose its a real vw part, with detail like the jack mount, I would not expect that of an aftermarket part. what thickness is the sheet metal? that would also be an good indicator if VW or not, see if it is same thickness as a stock one.

very nice looking indeed. this is a replcement panel, not a patch panel, note the vertical edge with the bend to be crimped to the A pillar, another quality detail.

nice

keep buggin!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: front passenger quarter panel ID Reply with quote

hey, thanks for the info. on this. It seems like a pretty well built panel. Now at least i know what it would fit.
I wasn't sure if they changed the gas tank area around much in the 60's, but go figure VW is always making subtle changes.

I'll measure the thickness & compare to my other cars, good idea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: front passenger quarter panel ID Reply with quote

I don't think there was ever any aftermarket quarter panels made as accurately as that so I feel certain it is a VW part.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: