Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What gas cap to use on 59
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: What gas cap to use on 59 Reply with quote

What gas caps are you guys using? Tired of the gas smell in my garage. I tried the Stant 10623 but it seems to be too large and doesn't get a good seal.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: What gas cap to use on 59 Reply with quote

Bought a German cap from Wolfsburg West, though I do not know the specifics on the booger.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: What gas cap to use on 59 Reply with quote

I had a stant that works but it's too wide and too tight for my liking. A new gasket in an original cap is probably your best bet, that's what I'm using now. I'm sure the WW would be a better fit than the stant.

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211201551

Bus depot has this German one at a good price:

http://www.busdepot.com/211201551
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: What gas cap to use on 59 Reply with quote

Not in stock at WW. My stock cap has a new seal but it still stinks. Im assuming the bypass is leaking. I found that the oil fill cap is a perfect fit. Non bypass though.
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: What gas cap to use on 59 Reply with quote

Have you checked your fuel lines for leaks?
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What gas cap to use on 59 Reply with quote

That Bus Depot cap for $6 is looking pretty good, looks to be what I picked from WW for less...of course you don’t want to spend $6 and then same on shipping, might as well make a little list... Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What gas cap to use on 59 Reply with quote

$13 shipping. No leaks on fuel lines. I changed over to teflon lined stainless with AN ends. I was changing the lines every 6 months here in Ca. It would crack really quick.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: What gas cap to use on 59 Reply with quote

I think the Stant caps changed from what used to be the good ones. I now like this one, part #3 in the top view: http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fb/full.aspx?Page=43
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What gas cap to use on 59 Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
That Bus Depot cap for $6 is looking pretty good, looks to be what I picked from WW for less...of course you don’t want to spend $6 and then same on shipping, might as well make a little list... Laughing

The Bus Depot cap is now $10.95. They almost doubled their price on this in the past week?!
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What gas cap to use on 59 Reply with quote

otis_bartleh wrote:
SamboSamba22 wrote:

The Bus Depot cap is now $10.95. They almost doubled their price on this in the past week?!

Ron and his crew are pretty good folks, my guess on the price change was focus around availability and/or actual inventory cost being raised from said vendor.
For humor sake, sounds like you should've bought one last week Laughing

otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What gas cap to use on 59 Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Ron and his crew are pretty good folks, my guess on the price change was focus around availability and/or actual inventory cost being raised from said vendor.

Probably... Hopefully!
Quote:

For humor sake, sounds like you should've bought one last week Laughing

No kidding! Laughing
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What gas cap to use on 59 Reply with quote

I tried the stant and the f100 cap. The stant was loose side to side and the rubber rode on the ends. It fit terrible. The F100 depth made it unusable. I bought the oe brazilian one and that fits ok but still get gas smell. I thought maybe the neck is leaking but if I put the oil filler cap on the smell goes away. Any other caps to try? I measured the spout at 53 mm where the rubber rides.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What gas cap to use on 59 Reply with quote

NAPA 703-1220

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: What gas cap to use on 59 Reply with quote

jason wrote:
I tried the stant and the f100 cap. The stant was loose side to side and the rubber rode on the ends. It fit terrible. The F100 depth made it unusable. I bought the oe brazilian one and that fits ok but still get gas smell. I thought maybe the neck is leaking but if I put the oil filler cap on the smell goes away. Any other caps to try? I measured the spout at 53 mm where the rubber rides.

Can you post up photos of the caps you purchased?

Here are the three you mentioned off my vehicles. '66 Ford is left, Stant is right, OG VW is lowest.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This picture the '66 Ford is top left, VW is top right, Stant is bottom

All fit each other.

How does your neck opening look? This is my '65 bus'.

Are the ramps in good shape or thrashed? Is it an original tank?

Yes, the Stant and Ford tended to go off center a teeny bit but they still sealed.

All three caps allow fumes to escape so you will still smell gas. What density is the gas you're smelling?

I suspect the new iterations of gascaps have been made to different fitment standards.

I'm also sorry for your troubles...I hate leading someone down a wrong path if it was me.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: