Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best books for 356 knowledge
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonnyla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Best books for 356 knowledge Reply with quote

Hi, I looked for this topic already but here is my question. I have always been into the 356 coupe since I was a kid and my neighbor always let me sit in theirs. Due to cost I have been settling for early VW's which I love as well. I now find myself wanting to find the right356 to build up and make an actually "date night" driver for my wife and I. It's that said I don't want to jump into a project without learning as much as possible about year differences and details. I can currently differentiate models, pre a, a, b,c, etc but my goal is to be able to identify parts for each model and basically become very versed in the early Porsches. Does anyone have suggestions on literature as to what would be the best to begin learning these details. I know a lot of my knowledge will be hands on learning but I'd like to get a good foundation of knowledge.
Coffee table books on the history are fun too but I am looking for more details than the typical picture book.

Oh and just cause I know it will come up... Very Happy
yes I know what type of work it isn't to restore these cars
Yes I know it will cost a small fortune over time

Thanks to all,
Jon
James Davies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Best books for 356 knowledge Reply with quote

Brett Johnson - A Restorer's Guide to Authenticity
Brett Johnson - Porsche 356 Defined
Heinrichs et al. - Speedster Typ 540
Frank Jung - Porsche 356 by Reutter
Dirk-Michael Conradt - Porsche 356: Driving in Its Purest Form
Jonnyla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Best books for 356 knowledge Reply with quote

Awesome James! I appreciate it! I'll check them out.
roy mawbey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Best books for 356 knowledge Reply with quote

Jon,

Look on e-bay for ' Elfrink 356 repir manual ' written by Henry Elfrink it cover all the repair of 356 cars and allows you to see how they progressed over the years. They are usually available on e-bay and are really useful.

Also have a look on www.abcgt.com and you will see in depth restorations showing all the pitfalls and the way they are repaired particularly with regard to bodywork.

Roy
Jonnyla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Best books for 356 knowledge Reply with quote

Wow, awesome! Thanks Roy. I ordered a couple of the books james suggested. Well the ones in my budget anyways. Wink
A few of those books get pricey. Especially when I know I need to save a lot for 356 parts.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Best books for 356 knowledge Reply with quote

If you just want a "date night cruiser", you will be dating a lot sooner and have `enuff money to get dinner and a movie if you get a 356 kit car. Then look for a 356 or 912 motor to put in it for the real Porsche sound and feel. If you buy a real 356 you will quickly find out why they call the parts "356 GOLD", they are as hard to find and worth as much or more.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: