Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gutter Mounts for ARB Awning: GoWesty vs. NorthWesty vs. RMW/VC?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TopaTopa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Gutter Mounts for ARB Awning: GoWesty vs. NorthWesty vs. RMW/VC? Reply with quote

First off-- AutoAnything is having a 22% off Labor Day Sale. >Edit: 23% plus FREE SHIP!

So while I'm in no hurry (..other project priorities looming), I thought I might seize the opportunity to pick up an ARB awning for my oh so sweet '90 Westy.

I've chased a few threads, mostly older, so I thought I'd just go ahead and inquire of the community-- which NO DRILL **gutter mount** is deemed best? Is there a clear frontrunner? The NW is stainless and only $70 (but shown as out of stock and they were closed when I called them after the noon hour today, Friday).

Also read something about needing to drill the GoWesty bracket (the bracket proper, not the van), seriously? Or have they addressed this..?

Your opinion is welcome here Very Happy

Thanks for the help and looking for a little grace Smile on the thread redundancy ..

Last edited by TopaTopa on Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kirsche Wasserboxer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Gutter Mounts for ARB Awning: GoWesty vs. NorthWesty vs. RMW/VC? Reply with quote

I can't say which one is best, as I've only ever used the ones from North Westy. They had to make a set for me when I called them, as they had none in stock, but it was a quick turnaround, as I'm local to their shop and could pick them up in person. They work great, and require no drilling.

Thanks for the heads up about the sale at Autoanything. It is actually 23% off with free shipping. I just ordered the deluxe awning room for my awning!
figborg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Gutter Mounts for ARB Awning: GoWesty vs. NorthWesty vs. RMW/VC? Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up, both of you.

I'm interested in this set of brackets from North Westy as I don't have roof racks and I don't want to drill my van. I wonder if they would be willing to make two sets if you are interested. I'm in no rush.

I will order the ARB awning. I have to make up my mind between the 6 footer and the 8 footer, probably will go with 6'.

BTW, the ARB Mesh Multi Mat looks awesome too.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662374
TopaTopa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Gutter Mounts for ARB Awning: GoWesty vs. NorthWesty vs. RMW/VC? Reply with quote

Kirsche Wasserboxer wrote:
I can't say which one is best, as I've only ever used the ones from North Westy. They had to make a set for me when I called them, as they had none in stock, but it was a quick turnaround, as I'm local to their shop and could pick them up in person. They work great, and require no drilling.

Thanks for the heads up about the sale at Autoanything. It is actually 23% off with free shipping. I just ordered the deluxe awning room for my awning!

WOOHOO on the awning room score! .. been debating that add-on myself .. whether to wade in or just jump right in and order that too (however running up quite a WESTYTAB of late..). And thank you yes, AA sale is 23% + FREE SHIP, must've fallen asleep at the switch on that one. I'll edit OP ..
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Gutter Mounts for ARB Awning: GoWesty vs. NorthWesty vs. RMW/VC? Reply with quote

Sitting under my ARB awning now. I suggest getting the larger. 6 feet would not really be much shade. Dunno.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Gutter Mounts for ARB Awning: GoWesty vs. NorthWesty vs. RMW/VC? Reply with quote

Thanks TopaTopa for the push, I did the same and bought their "Deluxe Awning Room" to complement my 8x8 ARB foot awning. I didn't realize the floor was included, actually integrated, no brainer just buy it at $177.09 with CA tax and free shipping.

Brian

PS I have a 91 Tin Top and use the Go Westy mounts, no holes needed to drill unless you elect to drill and pop-riv your A and D pillars for more strength, no need in my opinion.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Gutter Mounts for ARB Awning: GoWesty vs. NorthWesty vs. RMW/VC? Reply with quote

I bought my ARB brackets from Mule Expedition. I was at their store looking at the GW and NW brackets. They both looked good. I went with the GW brackets. My best recollection is that I liked that the GW brackets accommodate both ARB and Fiama awnings and they were a bit more finished due to the powder coat on the GW brackets and the sharp edges on the NW brackets seemed a bit raw. No drilling needed for the GW brackets.

All of this is subject to my memory so YMMV.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Gutter Mounts for ARB Awning: GoWesty vs. NorthWesty vs. RMW/VC? Reply with quote

Using what I believe are go westy brackets on my '90 westy. No drilling needed so far.

Craig
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Gutter Mounts for ARB Awning: GoWesty vs. NorthWesty vs. RMW/VC? Reply with quote

The drill vs no drill issue with the Gowesty isn't about modifying the bracket, its about modifying the van with drill holes and installing "pop-riv" nuts. It's easily explained on their web site.
http://www.gowesty.com/files/F45VW-T3%20-%20Awning%20Mounting%20Kit%20[Vanagon].pdf
In particular the section on page 2 Fastening Bracket Edge.
Brian
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Gutter Mounts for ARB Awning: GoWesty vs. NorthWesty vs. RMW/VC? Reply with quote

I bought the GW mounts because when I needed them they were the only ones who had them in stock. I chose not to use the riv nuts and drill into the body. Two years and I haven't had any problems. Two mounts on my ARB awning and no issues.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Gutter Mounts for ARB Awning: GoWesty vs. NorthWesty vs. RMW/VC? Reply with quote

At MogFest I visited with a participant who had an ARB awning on three GoWesty mounts. They were clamped to the gutter, NOT drilled + rivnutted to the body. I asked him if I could yank on it to test how secure it was.

I yanked as hard as I could, and found it to be VERY VERY secure. No movement at all. IMHO there's no question whether (three) GoWesty mounts are sufficient just clamped for any road use. I yanked the (ARB) extension that was forward of the passenger door.

However.... if you drive around in bushes.... where a hanging branch can get caught between the extension and the gutter above the passenger door....that's something to consider. Perhaps a "deflector" could be added to prevent branches from getting into that overhang.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
TopaTopa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Gutter Mounts for ARB Awning: GoWesty vs. NorthWesty vs. RMW/VC? Reply with quote

Just another friendly heads-up reminder- Today is the last day of Auto Anything's 23% off + Free Shipping (no min) sale.

I went ahead and ordered the ARB awning (no accessories) (as yet...), ended up saving about 70 bucks plus the freight. The awning seems like a lot of bang-for-your-buck Westy improvement (SHADE!!) for such modest investment.

May be the time for some to consider the screen room as accompaniment (as 1988MS has already done!).

Also- and back to the topic of my OP ... I went ahead and ordered the GoWesty awning mounting brackets (two). From the advice and experience of others, I'm sure I'll be pleased with them. Thanks for the input and thanks jimf909 for the pics. The bracket (and what little I can see of your rig) looks really nice.
figborg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Gutter Mounts for ARB Awning: GoWesty vs. NorthWesty vs. RMW/VC? Reply with quote

I just ordered the 2500 (8' x 8') for $230, free shipping and no tax with the Labor Day and signing up of email promos discounts. I'll get the GW brackets next.
christopherlayton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Gutter Mounts for ARB Awning: GoWesty vs. NorthWesty vs. RMW/VC? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
At MogFest I visited with a participant who had an ARB awning on three GoWesty mounts. They were clamped to the gutter, NOT drilled + rivnutted to the body. I asked him if I could yank on it to test how secure it was.

I yanked as hard as I could, and found it to be VERY VERY secure. No movement at all. IMHO there's no question whether (three) GoWesty mounts are sufficient just clamped for any road use. I yanked the (ARB) extension that was forward of the passenger door.

However.... if you drive around in bushes.... where a hanging branch can get caught between the extension and the gutter above the passenger door....that's something to consider. Perhaps a "deflector" could be added to prevent branches from getting into that overhang.

Sodo, if you're talking about my van (who knows, maybe awning-yanking is a hobby of yours) I only have two of the GW mounts. I've been pleased with them. Good to meet you, btw!
figborg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Gutter Mounts for ARB Awning: GoWesty vs. NorthWesty vs. RMW/VC? Reply with quote

I received the GW brackets two weeks ago and the ARB awning came in last evening.

I have my work cut out this weekend!

I will post my feedback.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Gutter Mounts for ARB Awning: GoWesty vs. NorthWesty vs. RMW/VC? Reply with quote

So according to Van Cafe/RMW 's awning bracket listing-

Quote:
This kit will NOT work on 1980 Vanagons and some 1981-84's, which have a slightly different rain gutter configuration than later models - If you have a 1980-1984 van, please give us a call to verify your gutter style before ordering.

And NorthWesty's advertises to work with
Quote:
Fits all years and gutter types 1980 through 1991

cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Gutter Mounts for ARB Awning: GoWesty vs. NorthWesty vs. RMW/VC? Reply with quote

I'm using Fiamma F45 gutter mounts with my ARB awning. Totally awesomeness.

Craig
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Gutter Mounts for ARB Awning: GoWesty vs. NorthWesty vs. RMW/VC? Reply with quote

cmayna wrote:

Are you talking about Van Cafe's/RMW's ?

nepawesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Gutter Mounts for ARB Awning: GoWesty vs. NorthWesty vs. RMW/VC? Reply with quote

I have a set from Northwesty. They will not work with old style (I have a 1980) gutters. Had to use go westy.
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Gutter Mounts for ARB Awning: GoWesty vs. NorthWesty vs. RMW/VC? Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
cmayna wrote:

Are you talking about Van Cafe's/RMW's ?

Yes

Craig
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: