Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gutter Mounts for ARB Awning: GoWesty vs. NorthWesty vs. RMW/VC?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Gutter Mounts for ARB Awning: GoWesty vs. NorthWesty vs. RMW/VC? Reply with quote

I have set of Gowesty mounts for sale in the classified section (is that a no-no to mention here?) They worked fantastic for me for the year I used them with the 8’ ARB awning no complaints and no I didn’t feel the need to drill the van for the included riv-nuts. Super sturdy but I will add this, if you turn gravity off like during a suspension shock moments of rebound dampening, they will lift away from the van and slap back some. I didn’t find this a big problem but it happened a few times and drilling for that extra support would have eliminated that issue. I think a crazy strong rare earth neodymium magnet would be a better solution to the minor issue or a contraption off the back side of the mount that would provide clockwise twist to the same effect.
Just my thoughts,
Brian
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Gutter Mounts for ARB Awning: GoWesty vs. NorthWesty vs. RMW/VC? Reply with quote

Anyone know if I have the common style or the early style rain gutter.

Edit: after a little research I found its the older style for sure. I think GoWesty's brackets will work.
This is on the 83.5 Westy

Link

shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Gutter Mounts for ARB Awning: GoWesty vs. NorthWesty vs. RMW/VC? Reply with quote

nepawesty wrote:
I have a set from Northwesty. They will not work with old style (I have a 1980) gutters. Had to use go westy.

Nepa...its very strange North Westy's site says it works with all gutter mounts.

I called Van Cafe to verify their mounts wouldn't work. They said I would have to modify my rain gutter. I think I'll go with 3x GoWesty brackets with no Riv Nuts.
Danny Dropshadow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Gutter Mounts for ARB Awning: GoWesty vs. NorthWesty vs. RMW/VC? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
I bought my ARB brackets from Mule Expedition. I was at their store looking at the GW and NW brackets. They both looked good. I went with the GW brackets. My best recollection is that I liked that the GW brackets accommodate both ARB and Fiama awnings and they were a bit more finished due to the powder coat on the GW brackets and the sharp edges on the NW brackets seemed a bit raw. No drilling needed for the GW brackets.

All of this is subject to my memory so YMMV.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It seems like these GW Brackets won't fit earlier model T3 Vanagons? (80 - 84)? I prefer the clean powder-coating but I think the raw metal version from GW are the only ones that will fit my 82 Westy...
Private Marty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: Gutter Mounts for ARB Awning: GoWesty vs. NorthWesty vs. RMW/VC? Reply with quote

The Go Westy ARB/Fiamma awning installation brackets take a VERY long time to install. I'm very unhappy with how long they took and all the drilling and grinding I had to do. (They were created for Fiamma, but then sold as ARB brackets - "Some drilling required.") I installed the ARB awning 2500 on my 1985 Westy.

First off, the instructions say to slide the M6 nylon nut into aluminum tracks on the back of the ARB unit. Only problem is that they're too thick to fit, So, you have to put the supplied bolt- the bolt head to be exact - into the slot as you might expect.

The second disappointment is that there are not instructions on WHERE that drilling is required. I'll give you some measurements that worked for me.

One key to installing the Go Westy bracket for the T3 Vanagon is that it's a "T" shape, with one bolt locking the assembly to the rain gutter, and one bolt that will attach to the van. That presumably relieves that rain gutter of bearing all the weight. (Lot's of discussion out there about whether that's needed. But I chose to play it safe and add the second bolt per bracket.)

The horizontal placement of the bracket is key, and there's no short cut. Place the bracket where you want it - panel behind the front passenger door, and panel just behind the rear side window. Mark where the second bolt will go, then carefully measure how far apart the two bracket are (Center to center, leading edge to leading edge - whatever you prefer) This is done without the awning being attached to anything.)

Then measure the aluminum back plate overall. (Works for the regular ARB awning, as well as the aluminum case.) Subtract distance between the brackets from the overall length of the aluminum track, then divide by two, that should lead you roughly to how far in to set the brackets. The distance between the two brackets must exactly match the distance you got from measuring the brackets when they were on the van. You going to put the bolts in place, but keep theme loose. You'll tighten them up much closer to the end.

The next trick was grinding down the rectangular "C" shaped part. It fit fine in an area without the plastic trim on the rain gutter lip.

But most of us have plastic trim on the top of the rain gutter upper lip, where the bracket's got to go, that I didn't want to cut away. So I borrowed a grinder and eliminated about a 1/16th inch off both brackets. If that "C" part doesn't lie down flat in the gutter, the angle sends the top part of the C bracket jutting to the inside - to the point that it will interfere with the POP top.

The other hard part was figuring where to drill the wholes in the bracket. This is the "before"

The trick is to use the existing (predrilled) center holes for two, but drill new holes near the lower edge of the bracket for the other one. The measurements I used those for the new holes are as follows: horizontally, the center line for the 1/4" whole left to right, is 5/8" in from the left/right sides of the bracket. Vertically, the center line of the bottom two holes are 7/8" from the BOTTOM of the predrilled holes.

Then, there's the rivnut issue. It's hard to tell when you've tightened the rivnut thing to the point of completely crushing the rivnut - i.e., seating it. It was hit and miss for me. Using their very cheap supplied tool, one worked and one didn't. If you can find a shop to use their fancy tool to seat your two rivets, you'll be doing yourself a favor. (My shop did me a favor and put one in for free.)

Now you're ready to mount the brackets to the awning backing. For the aluminum case, don't forget to use the supplied spacers. (It keeps the unit from interfering with the pop top.)

Keep them somewhat lose, You will tighten them all up later. Then (with help, lift the brackets on to the rain gutter) and start tightening everything. Get the top bolt snugged up fairly tight, then put the bolt into the rivnut.)

This was way too time-consuming. The bracket wasn't originally made for the ARB awning, and GoWesty should have asked the MFG to make a ARB-specific bracket. Wish I'd gone with the North Westy version.

Good luck!
eleven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Gutter Mounts for ARB Awning: GoWesty vs. NorthWesty vs. RMW/VC? Reply with quote

Hey "Private Marty"... It looks like you got the gutter clip in upside down. See screenshots below:

cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Gutter Mounts for ARB Awning: GoWesty vs. NorthWesty vs. RMW/VC? Reply with quote

Hmmmmmmm. Maybe so

Craig
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Gutter Mounts for ARB Awning: GoWesty vs. NorthWesty vs. RMW/VC? Reply with quote

We use and recommend Northwesties hand down. We also strong encourage the use of three mounts as ARB recommends. For the early style gutters we simply weld a small stainless bar to the backside at no charge. It is a 5 minute job. Overall much much better than the "universal" versions.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Gutter Mounts for ARB Awning: GoWesty vs. NorthWesty vs. RMW/VC? Reply with quote

813402 is the part number for the ARB awning mounts I chose to mount my awning directly to my Thule roof rack. This raises the awning 6 inches or at the van for a considerably roomier feel, plus no hole drilling, etc. In addition, we have 4 other vehicles the awning goes on from time to time, so all I do is move the entire rack to the other vehicle with the awning on it and adjust the width to suit. I also remove the ARB awning for winter to reduce weathering. At $12 per bracket they are a good value as well.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Franagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Gutter Mounts for ARB Awning: GoWesty vs. NorthWesty vs. RMW/VC? Reply with quote

I am looking to add a ARB 2500 to my 84 Westy, and would prefer not to drill holes in it, if possible. My other thought is going with 3 GW brackets they offer. Those of you with earlier vans, did the brackets work well? I see the North Westy brackets look good and do not require the drilling into the van, sold as a pair. Those of you that used the North Westy brackets, did 2 brackets seem to be substantial enough? Thanks all, always want to ping this group to get some last minute guidance. Thanks again, Fran
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Gutter Mounts for ARB Awning: GoWesty vs. NorthWesty vs. RMW/VC? Reply with quote

I can't speak for Northwesty's offering, but two RMW brackets have wored great for a few years of hard use for me. This includes quite a bit of forest service road driving and some high wind conditions. No drilling for them either.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Gutter Mounts for ARB Awning: GoWesty vs. NorthWesty vs. RMW/VC? Reply with quote

Franagon wrote:
I am looking to add a ARB 2500 to my 84 Westy, and would prefer not to drill holes in it, if possible. My other thought is going with 3 GW brackets they offer. Those of you with earlier vans, did the brackets work well? I see the North Westy brackets look good and do not require the drilling into the van, sold as a pair. Those of you that used the North Westy brackets, did 2 brackets seem to be substantial enough? Thanks all, always want to ping this group to get some last minute guidance. Thanks again, Fran

for what its worth i used the GW brackets on our '83 and it worked fine. not much messing around required.
id recommend using a proper rivnut setting tool, as you only get one shot at doing it right and the method GW recommends by doubling up on a nut and drawing it closed doesnt seem like the best approach to me.

im also happy i drilled + added rivnuts, as it really enhances the structural stability of the whole thing. the awnings are heavy and every bit helps.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Franagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Gutter Mounts for ARB Awning: GoWesty vs. NorthWesty vs. RMW/VC? Reply with quote

Great tip! Those do look nice. Thanks again for the feedback!
Franagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Gutter Mounts for ARB Awning: GoWesty vs. NorthWesty vs. RMW/VC? Reply with quote

Yes, I like the idea of the added structural stability of that next mounting point into the van, just hard to bring myself to it. Here is a tool I spied on Amazon, that looks pretty good and would be WELL worth it for me:

https://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumatic-Tool-1442-S...s9dHJ1ZQ==

Thanks for the input! Getting closer to getting this project going.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Gutter Mounts for ARB Awning: GoWesty vs. NorthWesty vs. RMW/VC? Reply with quote

that astro tool set is the exact one i have. its well worth the money and youll inevitably find uses for the rivnuts on other projects.

once you use the tool and realize how much force it took to properly collapse the rivnuts that go with the awning youll wonder how people can manage to do it with the double-nut method and not having them get loose later on down the line.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
sphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Gutter Mounts for ARB Awning: GoWesty vs. NorthWesty vs. RMW/VC? Reply with quote

Franagon wrote:
I am looking to add a ARB 2500 to my 84 Westy, and would prefer not to drill holes in it, if possible. ...

We have an ARB2500 with NorthWesty mounts on our 1982. We had them put them on for us (with the awning) on our way through Seattle area. We drove the coast down to LA, and back through Death Valley. The next year we did the Arctic Circle. Lots of washboard roads. Over the last three years we've had no problems with our awning or the mounts.

S
Franagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Gutter Mounts for ARB Awning: GoWesty vs. NorthWesty vs. RMW/VC? Reply with quote

Thank you for the input, after looking at my van last night, I didn't really know where the 3rd mount would even go! Also, one main concern I have is the existing rack I have on my pop top which looks like this:

https://www.yakima.com/widebody-brackets

Does the rack mounting clear the awning? (when the pop top is down) I don't have my rack mounted due to head clearance in my garage at the moment. I can certainly check. I am assuming the awning projects straight up from the edge of the rain gutter, maybe further away from the van? Forgive all the questions, just don't want to miss anything and hopefully this will help someone in the future. Thanks again!
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Gutter Mounts for ARB Awning: GoWesty vs. NorthWesty vs. RMW/VC? Reply with quote

Franagon- I have the wide body mounts on my poptop and there is no interference between the rack and the mounts, the awning is canted out slightly.

I also have the plunger style riv-nut tool, it's very nice kit, recommended.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Gutter Mounts for ARB Awning: GoWesty vs. NorthWesty vs. RMW/VC? Reply with quote

Franagon wrote:
Yes, I like the idea of the added structural stability of that next mounting point into the van, just hard to bring myself to it.

Be aware that a handful of folks have experienced B-pillar cracking thanks to the rivnut. It could be attributed to not installing it with the special tool, but wanted to point out the potential problem.

I've got a metal case A&E Trans-Awn that's been on the van for 30 years (heavier than an ARB, slightly lighter than a Fiamma). It originally had 3 small A&E brackets:

(Borrowed pic)

The only issue was the gutter cracking at the B-pillar. When switching to beefier RMW/VC brackets last summer, no way no how were 3 brackets going to work due to the curvature of the van. If the awning had been forced onto the D-pillar bracket, it would've put a lot of outward force onto the B-pillar bracket (I hypothesize that's why only the B-pillar gutter area is cracked), thus the C-pillar bracket was left out during the bracket swap.

Once the bolts were thoroughly tightened, it's been rock solid. I much prefer the beefier brackets. GW redesigned their bracket; the base is now about as wide as the old A&E brackets I had. IMHO, wider is better. So, I recommend going with NorthWesty's or Van Cafe's.

Edit: Trans-Awn was replaced in February 2020 with a Fiamma. Using the same RMW brackets though.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子

Last edited by kamzcab86 on Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Gutter Mounts for ARB Awning: GoWesty vs. NorthWesty vs. RMW/VC? Reply with quote

Franagon wrote:

Does the rack mounting clear the awning?]

The guys at North Westy do so much Vanagon work I would just call them and ask! I'm sure they've encountered it before.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: