Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Paint Code for 1973 Thing 181
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickdn73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Paint Code for 1973 Thing 181 Reply with quote

I have been trying to find the paint code for the Orange for a 1973 VW Thing (181). I have seen it called Pumpkin Orange, but I have not been able to find the Paint code. Can anyone help me out? or point in the right direction.
GMByers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint Code for 1973 Thing 181 Reply with quote

Pumpkin Orange OEM Code L30F
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint Code for 1973 Thing 181 Reply with quote

rickdn73 wrote:
I have been trying to find the paint code for the Orange for a 1973 VW Thing (181). I have seen it called Pumpkin Orange, but I have not been able to find the Paint code. Can anyone help me out? or point in the right direction.

I repainted mine white last year and came up with a lot of unanswered questions on the paint code. I understand all Things paint was semi gloss from factory and I wanted mine semi gloss not especially for originally but a semi gloss wouldn't show flaws in prep nearly as much. I took the paint code to paint shop and they said it would be gloss. I then took a body part and they scanned it and it came exactly which is gloss. That part clearly wasn't gloss. I was told I think on this forum that they could put a flatner in it but paint shop they couldn't. They said only way to get semi gloss would be base coat clear coat with the clear semi gloss. I didn't want to do base coat clear coat. I went to 2 paint shops and got exactly same info. I went single stage gloss and it is very nice. I am mentioning to you encase you want original you need to question paint store about if that paint they mix from that code will be gloss or not. I don't understand why they mix the factory code and it will be gloss when it was semi gloss from factory.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Paint Code for 1973 Thing 181 Reply with quote

A good paint shop can flatten any top coat, single stage or clear coat Had Thing green mixed from PPG that was semi gloss.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: