Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sharp 64's first dune buggy
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Sharp 64's first dune buggy Reply with quote

Hola. I've been itching for a dune buggy since I was a little kid watching SpeedBuggy cartoons. Saw one on CL in Jax, rented a truck and came home with this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Seller was awesome and started hooking up the car as soon as we got done with the test drive. Car came with a tow bar and the dude threw in a set of tow lights to get me home. Of course they were duct taped to the fuel tank. Lol.

Here's Dan, the seller:

Got the car home and snugged into the garage. Couple of random pics:

After removing the lettering. This will buff out. If it doesn't I'll sand and repray.

Interesting bits covering the turn signal holes.

Covering hole for gas fill neck I'm assuming?

Generic turn signal lever/flasher assembly?

Appliance wheels? Fronts are 14", rears are beefy 15". Not sure of the width

I'm thinking about reinforcing behind here with steel plate and using for a 3 point shoulder mount?

After getting it home I'm making a list of questions and concerns.

1. Brakes are waaaaay to loose. Need to bleed lines and adjust
2. Toe in is too much. Left tie rod was replaced and adjustment is all off. Probably will replace the replacement with a stock black one or use the stock one that I just removed from my 64.
3. Needs a larger steering wheel and horn. Wheel makes an almost metal on metal sound. Need to dig into this as I can't determine yet if it's a stock VW column or not?
4. Seat belts! Wife wants 5 point with a roll bar. Think I may try to get away with retractable 3 point or using the spare set of WW ones that I have. Would backing that point above with a steel plate behind it and drilling for a 3rd mount for shoulder be ok? Need at least lap belts for the rear. Will be rare to have anyone in the rear and if so, will be my early teenage daughters at most.
5. Apparently you can't use Goofoff on a plexiglass windshield. Ugh. Searching for a tinted sheet of plexiglass now.
6. I want to move the gas tank back under the front. Based on the location of the hole covered with the skull on the front I think one may have been mounted this way before. I'm ok with the offset hole. I haven't dug too far in yet, but I don't see a frame for the tank to sit on and there is no "hood". There is a cut out underneath in the front. Is there some way to bottom mount the tank?
7. "Pan" halves appear to be sheet metal. PO had bolted plate steel onto the bottom of the passenger side to firm up the pan but didn't do the drivers side. Thinking about getting some steel plate and bolting it onto the drivers side pan, but maybe doing it inside instead of outside as it kinda looks cool. Would steel bar stock run along the seat mounting line stiffen the pans enough? May end up having to eventually replace the pan halves with actual pan halves. But I don't weld. Yet.
8. Engine was "built" prior to PO. He said he had the size written down at home but couldnt remember. Scoots pretty well. Number is filed off the case, but it's an AS1 case. Leaks oil from the right valve cover but seems dry otherwise. Has an 009 but haven't looked closely to see if it's OG or Chinese. Carb is a 30pict-1 and I happen to have the correct distributor for that in my parts stash so I'll be pulling some things out to inspect and clean. Missing some rear sled pieces. Should I install industrial tins since there aren't heater boxes?
8a. Need to post up pics of engine as I need a baffle for the exhaust and need to figure out which one is used. Good Lord it's loud.
9. Owner said car had to be running for the head lights to work? Havent checked that yet. But that doesn't work for me. May rewire for simple toggle switch. Might also remake the dash as it's not very "clean". Holes kinda Willynilly.
9a. Need to replace the ignition as the one in the car doesn't have a return Spring. Kind of annoying. Need to take out and see what I want to replace it with.
10. Needs an angled shifter. Are short shifters vs the longer ones used? Shifter in the buggy has been cut down.
11. Front suspension is K/L and it's a swingaxle. Also has a heater knob which makes it an early pan, but it's titled as a 73 VW Dune Buggy. Title matches a vehicle ID plate on the body. Need to call my agent on Tuesday to check on insurance.
12. Going to try and clean up the headlights but they look too far gone. May just try to sand and paint for the time being.
13. Needs side view mirrors and rear view mirror.

Sorry so long and I'm sure I'll come up with lots more. If anyone has any suggestions or comments feel free. Be kind as this is meant as a fun project and learning experience. Not after a competition off-road machine and I consider this akin to a motorcycle inbregards ro safety. This is a fair weather, short errand or ice cream better not a show stopper.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Sharp 64's first dune buggy Reply with quote

The body looks like it's in very nice condition.

Gotta stick your head up under the dash or front hood to see if there is a gas tank mount, most buggy manufactures incorporated this in. My '60 had a tank there that was just rusted out, had to pull the hood off and replace. While your at it just get a new wiring harness and redo all the wiring, 90% is under the dash.

Add what ever roll bar you feel comfortable with, both of mine had a just the main hoop, in my first one I reinforced it down to the shock mounts on the chassis and a cross bar behind the seats for seat belts. My dad's has always just had the hoop and 3 point belts and it still does.

Meyers Manx sells windshields and frames that are DOT...if you are going street legal go that route.

Signal lever is a "buggy" item, most likely EMPI or BugPack, I switched to a pre-67 with no hi-beam button as that is on the front wall next to the clutch.

I installed a short hurst style shifter from EMPI, works great and is bent back for comfort and gives a nice short throw.

Is the number on the title the same on the tunnel? May have been a special construction, the pan I have is a '56, but the title uses a CADMV number in a different spot (next to the gas pedal...doh!) and titled as a '69. Definitely and early pan you have, plus with swing axle and K/L beam.

I like the wheels, simple and fit the buggy well.

Head light buckets are cheap, just wait until you are done with all the running stuff and replace them, I always have an extra set to replace when the current ones get to far on the rust....

best advice---ENJOY!
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Sharp 64's first dune buggy Reply with quote

I've seen that buggy around town and it's a nice place to start.
Most are prett easy fixes.

Titled as a dune buggy is the exception. Most around here are titled as bugs.
Enjoy.

AMAC
buggy-gabe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Sharp 64's first dune buggy Reply with quote

I too wanted one as a kid and got mine about 5-yrs ago. Of all the cars I've owned this one takes the cake as far as smiles per mile.
Yours looks good and you'll definitely enjoy it.
I have a complete windshield that has a small chip (3/8") where the mirror mounted in the center towards the top. Also the top of the frame had some holes drilled in it to secure an old top that no longer exists.
It's stashed behind a bunch of stuff in my garage in a box, so if you're interested I'll dig it up and take some close up pics. If you like it, make me an offer.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Sharp 64's first dune buggy Reply with quote

Nice find and very nice buggy! I like others drooled over Buggies as a kid too.

Ours is the same as far as seat belts and roll cage go.(or lack thereof)I am considering adding a roll bar sometime in the future and some lap belts in the back. For now we are quite comfortable with the existing lap belts in the front. I concur with you on viewing the safety of these Buggies being equivalent to a motorcycle. In an open Buggy even if you did have a roll bar are you better off strapped in and getting crushed or thrown out and having the thing on top of you? Like a motorcycle, neither one is a good option. Our best safety item right now is to drive like we ARE on a motorcycle, avoid rush hour, crowded high speed freeways, night driving(deer hits)and leave lots of room.

As far as a full roll cage goes - ya - that is the best safety wise but my personal opinion is that I may as well dump the Buggy on the market and go back to a car with a sun roof. For me the attraction of the Buggy is to enjoy the great outdoors when we travel.

A full 5 point harness without a full roll cage is in my opinion way overkill and without a roll bar completely useless. Or is she sending you a message about your driving style? Twisted Evil

Just kidding! Very Happy

Any good glass shop can cut you a new windshield in either Plexiglas(won't last long)or laminated glass from flat stock.

Yes! Quiet that exhaust down and like us you will find that you will want to drive it more and take longer trips. A loud exhaust note takes the fun out of travelling any further than around the block. Personally I would also drop the front end to level it out and leave the flames as is, gives it personality! Smile

Sweet ride, I am exited for you, have fun with the details and take those kids for ice cream in it!
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Sharp 64's first dune buggy Reply with quote

Cool ride, needs some TLC.. Winter is coming, good time to target things that need fixing... Rollbar choice will be yours, but listen to wife, if she wants full cage and 5 point, it will make buggy more enjoyable, because she will feel safer, if she is not happy with roll cage and belt choice, it's not going to be an enjoyable experience for her, and therefor it will affect how you enjoy it...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Sharp 64's first dune buggy Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Cool ride, needs some TLC.. Winter is coming, good time to target things that need fixing... Rollbar choice will be yours, but listen to wife, if she wants full cage and 5 point, it will make buggy more enjoyable, because she will feel safer, if she is not happy with roll cage and belt choice, it's not going to be an enjoyable experience for her, and therefor it will affect how you enjoy it...

Dale

My concern with the roll bar is that most if not all examples require welding. Unfortunately I'm not there yet in my automotive journey, but maybe nownis the time? At the very least I would like a hoop with back bracing. Does anyone make a bolt in kit?

As a temp fix, does anyone have an opinion regarding my proposed 3 point shoulder mount idea?
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Sharp 64's first dune buggy Reply with quote

My buggy came with 4 point belts, I tolerated them my wife hated them. Yanked them out for the Jeep and installed a 3 point retractor belt and we both liked those much better. I had a roll bar so I mounted the swivel to the roll bar.

Has your wife ever used a harness? If not she may change her mind after using one.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Sharp 64's first dune buggy Reply with quote

weasel_ugs wrote:
My buggy came with 4 point belts, I tolerated them my wife hated them. Yanked them out for the Jeep and installed a 3 point retractor belt and we both liked those much better. I had a roll bar so I mounted the swivel to the roll bar.

Has your wife ever used a harness? If not she may change her mind after using one.

I'm pretty certain she'll be ok with the 3 point retractable as they are what I have in my bug. She had just mentioned the 4 points as they are what she's seen in some.

I need some rollbar mounting ideas that don't require welding.
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Sharp 64's first dune buggy Reply with quote

When I built the buggy i posted on here the owner wanted his wife to feel safer also.. so.. I added 6 inch of PT wood to the bottom of fiberglass body so when you sat in it you had more of a feeling of being surrounded by something..
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=682820&highlight=
here is link
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Sharp 64's first dune buggy Reply with quote

3 point seat belts will not accomplish anything if you do not have anything solid above your shoulder lever to mount them to. On my street legal Dunebuggy I have a braced roll bar that passes tech at the drag strip for the 13-14 seconds I run. I also have a 5 point racing harness. when I drive on the streets I only use the lap belt and not the shoulder harnesses. I am not blind to the false safety of driving my Dunebuggy. The fiberglass body is not going to save your life in a traffic accident. A Dunebuggy that does not have a full roll cage is not any safer than a motorcycle.

If you can't weld then pay somebody that can.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Sharp 64's first dune buggy Reply with quote

Don't get too confident in your roll cage either guys. Cars these days not only have an engineered roll over protection factor, they also have engineered crush zones front, rear and sometimes at the sides to help absorb the impact and not transfer it to the people inside. Over built roll cages can be life threatening too, remember whatever force the vehicle does not absorb will be transferred to your body. If there is no give in the structure around you then you will get it all!

Just like motorcycles, Buggies and their roll cages are not required to be researched, engineered and crash tested like cars are so you are on your own in a wreck. Your best defence is to drive with the mindset that you WILL die on contact with another vehicle or in a roll over just like the bikers!
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Sharp 64's first dune buggy Reply with quote

There are also MINOR accidents that a 3 point belt can help limit your injuries. You cant have a completely safe car but you can make it safer. Just because you may not survive a major accident doesnt mean you shouldnt make it safer for the potential minor ones.
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Sharp 64's first dune buggy Reply with quote

and in rare occasions.. like my sisters wreck.. getting thrown out is better then staying in.. windshield frame was where her head would have been..when it landed and flipped few times..
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Sharp 64's first dune buggy Reply with quote

All valid points. I'll figure the seatbelt part out. For the time being I need to focus on getting some other things worked out like insurance, title, registration and getting the brakes and alignment set up right. Headlights are not working so that needs to be addressed. So far I haven't seen a fuse panel...
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Sharp 64's first dune buggy Reply with quote

AMAC1680 wrote:

Mine is also titled as a dune buggy. It was titled as a bug when I bought it (Ohio title), when it came back in my name (Illinois), it says VW Dune Buggy on it. I was really surprised (and kinda pleased). My local DMV guys always seem to know what the're doing. I didn't have any trouble with insurance either. Only issue was they wanted to make sure it was a road car and not something I was going to thrash off road like a four wheeler. I have discovered when you say dune buggy a lot of younger people haven't seen one and think side by side atv.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Sharp 64's first dune buggy Reply with quote

Quote:
and in rare occasions..

Best not to plan on the rare occurrence from happening.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Sharp 64's first dune buggy Reply with quote

KAmes wrote:
AMAC1680 wrote:

Mine is also titled as a dune buggy. It was titled as a bug when I bought it (Ohio title), when it came back in my name (Illinois), it says VW Dune Buggy on it. I was really surprised (and kinda pleased). My local DMV guys always seem to know what the're doing. I didn't have any trouble with insurance either. Only issue was they wanted to make sure it was a road car and not something I was going to thrash off road like a four wheeler. I have discovered when you say dune buggy a lot of younger people haven't seen one and think side by side atv.

Relooking at the title I was wrong. He said it was titled as a dune buggy, but just says "volk" under make and "2dr" under Body. So maybe I will just get to add it as a 73 Volkswagen? Will have to see. He said he had Progressive.

If you don't mind Kames, who are you insured under?
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Sharp 64's first dune buggy Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:

I'm using State Farm, just a regular auto policy no mileage restrictions etc. The only difference is it's a stated value policy, they required it that way due to it's age, 68 Sand Shark on 61 pan. I set it up at $10,000 to be sure it's covered, costs about the same as my other cars.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Sharp 64's first dune buggy Reply with quote

KAmes wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

I'm using State Farm, just a regular auto policy no mileage restrictions etc. The only difference is it's a stated value policy, they required it that way due to it's age, 68 Sand Shark on 61 pan. I set it up at $10,000 to be sure it's covered, costs about the same as my other cars.

Ok. I'll probably try this way then. Problem is, insurance on my other cars is close to $100/month... I may just take out liability on it. Maybe as an recreational vehicle it'll be much less. I know when I had an "extra" car in Ohio, I dropped everything except liability and it was only $19/month.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: