Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lesson learned
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Lesson learned Reply with quote

A couple of months ago I had the tranny out for a rebuild. Everything was fine until a couple of days ago.

While driving along I lost all my gears and the shifter just flopped around. I pulled over and had a good idea what the problem was. Sure enough, the shift couplier set screw had come lose and fallen into the tunnel.

Luckily, I was close to home and I called my wife to bring my tool kit and a bunch of screws, since I couldn't see the set screw in the tunnel.

I managed to limp home and was able to find the set screw.

The two lessons I learned were wire in the set screw, so if it does fall off again it will be easy to find, and keep a tool kit in the car.
These old cars tend to break down on a regular basis.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Lesson learned Reply with quote

What do you carry for parts and spares?
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Lesson learned Reply with quote

Right now.....nothing, but I plan on changing that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Lesson learned Reply with quote

glad you got it fixed fairly easy,

check that link out the Captain posted, it's about everything you can think of and the kitchen sink!

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
cousineddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Lesson learned Reply with quote

Those screws on the shift coupler should be safety wired.
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Lesson learned Reply with quote

Interestingly enough, the shifter couplier I ordered from Cip1 (ad states that it is OE quality) came with a set screw without the hole for a safety wire.

Hopefully, I'll be able to reuse the old set screw which has the hole.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Lesson learned Reply with quote

911pickup wrote:

The two lessons I learned were wire in the set screw, so if it does fall off again it will be easy to find, and keep a tool kit in the car.
These old cars tend to break down on a regular basis.

Not sure I agree with your final conclusion there...Whether or not that's true depends directly on the quality of the maintenance they receive and the quality of the replacement parts that are used in that maintenance.

For example, your recent breakdown was the direct result of you not performing a maintenance task correctly combined with poor quality replacement parts.

The set screw on the coupler is supposed to be safety wired to prevent this exact scenario. The safety wire's purpose is not to help you find the screw if it comes loose. If the safety wire is done correctly, it will keep the screw from coming unscrewed in the first place.

The other problem as you noted is that the replacement set screw was not drilled for safety wire. You will find that a lot of the aftermarket parts out there these days are of very poor quality compared to the original stuff. Just because something is advertised as "OE quality" doesn't make it so.
If you are one of those VW owners who's buying replacement parts solely based on lowest price, you can indeed expect to be breaking down on a regular basis.

Definitely a great idea to keep a tool kit in the car.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: