Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

HELP? - Upper Pillar Grab Handle - Need Spacers
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carlini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: HELP? - Upper Pillar Grab Handle - Need Spacers Reply with quote

'89 Westy. Would LOVE to add an upper pillar grab handle to the driver's side as I am 71 and weigh over 250 lbs, and it's rather a pain to grab the steering wheel to pull myself up and in. BUT Gowesty.com only sells the handles and has said for years the spacers are not available. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Lou in OC
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP? - Upper Pillar Grab Handle - Need Spacers Reply with quote

They are around...search the classifieds here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Carlini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP? - Upper Pillar Grab Handle - Need Spacers Reply with quote

Wow! That was quick. Thanks very, VERY much. Lou in OC
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP? - Upper Pillar Grab Handle - Need Spacers Reply with quote

I can possibly help you out with this. I'll look around and see how what I have. We are having a San Diego get together soon. How about coming down for it?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=385197&start=822

Mark

Carlini wrote:
'89 Westy. Would LOVE to add an upper pillar grab handle to the driver's side as I am 71 and weigh over 250 lbs, and it's rather a pain to grab the steering wheel to pull myself up and in. BUT Gowesty.com only sells the handles and has said for years the spacers are not available. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Lou in OC
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP? - Upper Pillar Grab Handle - Need Spacers Reply with quote

Perfect item for a shapeways 3D print file.......

I don't know how to scan/create the file, but someone on this forum probably can.

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP? - Upper Pillar Grab Handle - Need Spacers Reply with quote

So I used some popsicle sticks as spacers to mount a grab handle to the drivers A pillar. Do not over think this. 😀

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP? - Upper Pillar Grab Handle - Need Spacers Reply with quote

I'll test it later this week, or if anyone else is interested in testing it - let me know and I can send you the file.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

FREEBIES: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkqzgREEtE9Aj7poRLxLuW-oGORuiQ?e=eSKThT
alanmacleod2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP? - Upper Pillar Grab Handle - Need Spacers Reply with quote

Lou,

Did you find the spacers that you need. Contact me if not, I've got some (always grab them when I run across a Vanagon in a pull-a-part)

[email protected]

Alan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP? - Upper Pillar Grab Handle - Need Spacers Reply with quote

Carlini, One of the best mods I have done to my rig. You wont regret it.

Craig
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP? - Upper Pillar Grab Handle - Need Spacers Reply with quote

cmayna wrote:
Carlini, One of the best mods I have done to my rig. You wont regret it.

Likewise! Why it didn't come stock is one of life's enduring mysteries... Rolling Eyes

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
figborg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP? - Upper Pillar Grab Handle - Need Spacers Reply with quote

I'm bookmarking this thread as I am very interested in installing one as well. I look forward to see how the 3D prototypes for the spacers come out. I've also read the older threads that address this project.

I am also interested in adding a grab handle above the window on the passenger's side. I imagine I need special spacers for those as well. Any ideas on what handle is best for that?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662374
Carlini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP? - Upper Pillar Grab Handle - Need Spacers Reply with quote

A sincere and heartfelt thanks to everyone. Jason sold me a set, which I haven't installed yet.
But, yes, one wonders why driver's side grab bars weren't standard.
Lou in OC
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: HELP? - Upper Pillar Grab Handle - Need Spacers Reply with quote

Carlini,
Just a word of caution. There are wires running down that pillar so be careful when going crazy with your drill.

Craig
Carlini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: HELP? - Upper Pillar Grab Handle - Need Spacers Reply with quote

I sort of expected that so thanks for the heads up. LC
ALstew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP? - Upper Pillar Grab Handle - Need Spacers Reply with quote

I wanted to bump this thread to see if anyone can link me to the shapeways site where I can order that little spacer set so I can do this to my van.

Thanks!
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP? - Upper Pillar Grab Handle - Need Spacers Reply with quote

Have you looked in the classifieds here on the Samba?

Craig
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: HELP? - Upper Pillar Grab Handle - Need Spacers Reply with quote

I just ordered a pair. Recent post from the ‘Driver's side Grab handle’ thread;

greebly wrote:
Installed a driver's side grab handle on the van this week. My son designed a replacement set of mounts and a template to install the mounts exactly matching the passenger side. It makes the install much easier. The passenger grab mount has the replicated mounts in white nylon.

My son did a write up on the installation here: https://imgur.com/a/kHp3TL4
He has made the template and reproduction mounts available through Shapeways. Here is the link for the template: https://www.shapeways.com/product/RP3EKP2W7/vanagon-grip-mount-template
and the link for the reproduction mounts: https://www.shapeways.com/product/RP8TX5DES/

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWeGoBeachNow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: HELP? - Upper Pillar Grab Handle - Need Spacers Reply with quote

Thanks for this post and how to install. I like this mod and was able to find a black oem one with mounts on eBay.
4spd
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP? - Upper Pillar Grab Handle - Need Spacers Reply with quote

I thought I might have an extra handle with spacers but find out that the spacers are I believe the ceiling (upper door opening) style for they are shaped much differently than what we see on the A pillar. Think I'll keep that pup for a rainy day, maybe up on the sliding door opening? Hmmm..after a few beers, trying to climb into the camper to pass out. Might be a little helpful.....

Craig
nilza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP? - Upper Pillar Grab Handle - Need Spacers Reply with quote

T3 Pilot wrote:
Perfect item for a shapeways 3D print file.......

I don't know how to scan/create the file, but someone on this forum probably can.

Pssst........These are aleady on shapeways,

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZZQ9UKQ6U/vanagon-a-pillar-grab-handle-wedge-251-857-615-6
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: