Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hurricane Irma and Florida
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Hurricane Irma and Florida Reply with quote

So I am in Florida.. St Augustine.. and Irma looks like its going to pretty much make Florida suck.. GF has sis in northern Al.. but dang thats a long drive .. 2 cats.. 1 small dog.. arrrrrrrrgggggg lol .. I stayed during Mathew we live in a double wide with canals that lead to Inter coastal.. and about 1/4 mile from ocean..it hit during high tide.. 23 inch of water .. trailer 24 inch.. it got the insulation but not the floor.. thank god..
O well my venting for now.. and to think all this crap I am working on might be blown the hell away in another week..
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Irma and florida Reply with quote

At least you get a few day to defend yourself against a hurrican. We only get about 10-15 minute warning before a tornado destroys everything.
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Irma and florida Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
At least you get a few day to defend yourself against a hurrican. We only get about 10-15 minute warning before a tornado destroys everything.

yea.. i would not like that shit at all.. hurricanes i kinda like as long as they are 3 a lower.. i stick around.. enjoy mother nature.. lived 2 weeks in my block garage i just got through building back in 2004 when they criss crossed florida.. metal roof too.. it was umm interesting..
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Irma and florida Reply with quote

I'm not looking forward to it. I'm in Palm Beach and I also have property in Miami. When/if it hits Cuba it will slow it down a bit. It will be more of a nuisance. I was in S.Dade during Andrew an got to listen to half our roof get ripped off in the dark. Nothing will ever compare. Every storm since has been just a pain in the ass. Get your water an gas now.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Irma and florida Reply with quote

And move your RV and boat now. Don't shelter in place. Heed the lessons from Harvey.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Irma and florida Reply with quote

If it were me and had says to move stuff out I would for sure. Why wait. See if the people would move all of the stuff and evacuate, the storm will not show up. leave it all now and the storm will inflict damage.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Irma and florida Reply with quote

Living in Phoenix, Arizona I often miss weather. We don't have 4 seasons. Rain or storms are rare accept for the monsoons that are not what they use to be 10 years ago. We're stuck with hot weather for 5 months then 7 months of chamber of commerce weather. Maybe its why this area continues to explode with population.

As I watch the news of the hurricanes, tornadoes and other extreme weather events that hit the same regions year after year, I often wonder what I'd do if I lived there? Would I wave the white flag and say enough is enough? Would I say screw it and rebuild again and again?

Watching people in Houston go back to their homes and seeing everything ruined w/no flood insurance breaks my heart for them. I think that would push me into calling Uhaul.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HMVWNAB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Irma and florida Reply with quote

The pre-hurricane buying frenzy has begun this morning. Bottled water gone from shelves.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Irma and florida Reply with quote

Yeah, Publix near my house is about sold out. I hear the Home Depots are a madhouse too. We have learned over the years. We now have impact windows and good insurance. Evacuation is not really an option in S. Florida. The interstates and the Turnpike become clogged roads with traffic barely moving and sometime you get caught in the storm while in your car. Never happened to me but I've heard stories.
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Irma and florida Reply with quote

click the play button above animation..
https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Irma and florida Reply with quote

vwjetboat wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:

yea.. i would not like that shit at all.. hurricanes i kinda like as long as they are 3 a lower.. i stick around.. enjoy mother nature.. lived 2 weeks in my block garage i just got through building back in 2004 when they criss crossed florida.. metal roof too.. it was umm interesting..

Then there's the amount of warning time for an earthquake...none. And that's not stopping people from moving out here to CA in droves.
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Irma and florida Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
vwjetboat wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:

Then there's the amount of warning time for an earthquake...none. And that's not stopping people from moving out here to CA in droves.

I would never live in that area.. not after seeing that car squished like a pancake when the bridge fell on top .. a long time ago..
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Irma and florida Reply with quote

I've only ever left for a Hurricane once. It was in my house on the water. 24 hours before hand the water was 4 foot over the road. I came back after the hurricane and half the house was knocked off the stilts. It was one of the best things that happened to me. Cleared out all the crap in my life. Insurance paid me to replace it all.

You need to decide if the risk is worth what ever you decide.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Irma and florida Reply with quote

Meh, hurricanes are a tricky bitch. You can know days in advance "roughly" where it will land, move your stuff/yourself, and still fail. Case in point a few years back Hurricane Irene came through the Northeast, it hit where I live in Boston indirectly, and there was some damage. My house in particular had some siding and the roof damaged and some leaking occur due to that. Lots of power lines down, etc.
In VT however, which is WELL inland mind you, the storm did so much damage and let loose so much water that the mountains had big landslides, houses were destroyed, there was flooding, etc etc etc. It was BILLIONS of dollars in damage in a sparsely populated area. I think this was only like 10-11 inches of rain too, and a category 1 storm.

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/31082016/five-y...ate-change

The categories are misleading, they only refer to how strong the winds are. Storm surge, rainfall totals, and location of where the storm hits all factor in to how much of a beating the storm will hand out. Sandy for instance wasn't even a hurricane when it hit NY/NJ. It was "Superstorm Sandy" if you recall.
So even packin up the campervan and driving 3-4 hours inland might not protect you. Just one of those things where you have to brace yourself and see what happens. Obviously being prepared and heeding all local warnings is paramount.

Hope everyone stays safe, still plenty of time in Hurricane season...

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Irma and florida Reply with quote

I think it's been about 12 years ago Katrina hit southern Mississippi although New Orleans got all the press. My dad lives in that area and I took off to help him a day later but the thing that got my attention was 200 miles inland the power was off and there was visible damage. I was carrying extra gasoline good thing as none to be found. Had to circumvent road closures to make it in. Spent the next week with a chainsaw in my hand. Press said over 1,000 people died but that's not counting those living off the grid, homeless,etc. the old man said he won't shelter in place again but he said same thing in '79 for Fredrick.
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurricane Irma and Florida Reply with quote

yep this sucks lol.. not sure what direction to go IF i decide I need to.. I stayed during mathew.. but that had a good solid path going long before it came by st aug.. so I kinda knew what to expect.. but this damn irma ugggggggggg
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurricane Irma and Florida Reply with quote

The Mayans were only 5 years off, what with the natural disasters going on in every other state, unbridled terrorism, North Korea trying to punk everyone, and golden boy in the WH. If we all do go at least I'll get into heaven because I never converted my autostick bug
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurricane Irma and Florida Reply with quote

Im in the panhandle, all sold out hear too for h20 and most everything else. weve had many hit hear.had one hit 2days before my wedding....the entire area was gone.nothing left but sticks&seaweed. Im about 1000 feet or less back from the water. so.... you might want to take a trip to north alabama for a small vacation and hope it hits me...and Ill stay till i know where it's going ...and hope it hits you..... i hope it misses both but we both know that aint going to happen. you live in the oldest city in the usa.so I think it will bethere when you get back...I may go to tenn or somewhere , one of my kids(& her family, husband&2 kids) just left hear today heading back to tenn where they are DR's. so thats an option for us too....possiably but there aint no roads leading out of this aera( you cant get there from hear) it's a big tourist trap resort , beach, fishing fleets, etc area, but 1 way in from the north and the highway along the beach witch wont be there agian if it hit hear. ... my mom got new tires today so she can head out to arkansawas tomarow to escapie.... if it's a cat 5 or more and hits hear...im screwed. for sure. last time it was no power for 2 weeks..or more.that realy sucks.and no water...and no fuel after a day for generators.(the one way in&out will be blocked with cars that never made it more than 30~60 miles) . they did 4 lane the 1 road heading north this last year.....but that only lets you to the next 2 lane road thats 50+ miles long going up through alabama......... the innersatte will be stopped or 3mph....witch stops all the roads leading to it. I reckon thats the price for living in paradise.
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurricane Irma and Florida Reply with quote

Yea Mark.. its looking like either one of is going to get shit on.. or we both are going to get pissed on.. we should just meet in the middle someplace.. wait and see.. if it goes your way.. you come here.. and vise versa lol.. my GF said thats what she saw someone on news say.. they are just going to the middle and wait... but yea.. its really starting to feel like mathew again.. if it comes at LOW tide.. im fine.. but mathew was high tide..
Peace out brother.. stay safe what ever you do..
Greg
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Hurricane Irma and Florida Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
The Mayans were only 5 years off, what with the natural disasters going on in every other state, unbridled terrorism, North Korea trying to punk everyone, and golden boy in the WH. If we all do go at least I'll get into heaven because I never converted my autostick bug

This is all fake news, I wouldn't worry. Climate change is a hoax perpetrated by the Chinese, I don't see the problem. Also God is dead, here is a news report on it from many years ago:

Link

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: