Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EGR Demand in California
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR Demand in California Reply with quote

If your going to to get patterns made, the 3d models are good, otherwise cut the hard part direct from bar stock from your cad, someone can do the cutter path/program,right? or is that the hang up? That will have to be machine specific, (writing the post)), I can get all that done, just need the machine controller type. Whats the material ? S.S. 300 or 400 series?
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR Demand in California Reply with quote

I am waiting for Ramon, Jeff and Robbie to get back to me with an update. Last update sent to me was that the machinist was ready to make a bunch. Then crickets. SARS-2 doesn't help.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR Demand in California Reply with quote

We can bet money that my EGR is the same where it counts.

Here are the important measurements:

Body length: 34mm
Bottom hole to plenum: width 18.8mm depth 8.6mm*
Side hole to EGR tube: 10.8mm
Top hole to diaphragm/top housing/lever: width 20.3mm depth: 20mm*
Shaft diameter: 8.6mm
The nut on the bottom is 5mm (8mm socket)
Bottom sealing ring: width 12.8m
Top housing outer ring diameter: 24.2mm inner diameter: 21.5mm
Bolt holes: outer edge to outer edge of opposite bolt: 38.5mm inner edge to edge: 25.6mm

*depths are a little subjective, I left the metal seal on both sides in and measured from the lowest point I could get on the sealing ring.

I'm unable to measure the inner sealing ring because I can't get the bottom nut off.

The only difference between mine and an original is the original has material removed from the top where the EGR tube connects and its essentially the shape of the gasket. In fact mine looks like a steel version of the pink 3D printed one.

***caveat
I don't have high precision instruments nor do I have the skills in measuring precisely, plus I'm measuring worn parts.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR Demand in California Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:

Bolt holes: outer edge to outer edge of opposite bolt: 38.5mm inner edge to edge: 25.6mm

*depths are a little subjective, I left the metal seal on both sides in and measured from the lowest point I could get on the sealing ring.

I'm unable to measure the inner sealing ring because I can't get the bottom nut off.

The only difference between mine and an original is the original has material removed from the top where the EGR tube connects and its essentially the shape of the gasket. In fact mine looks like a steel version of the pink 3D printed one.

***caveat
I don't have high precision instruments nor do I have the skills in measuring precisely, plus I'm measuring worn parts.

the gasket and stainless part inside appear different too. My guess is that was the latest production VW had of the part. I wonder if the part number is the same?
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR Demand in California Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
ivwshane wrote:

***caveat

the gasket and stainless part inside appear different too. My guess is that was the latest production VW had of the part. I wonder if the part number is the same?

Unfortunately there are no part numbers anywhere on it. I forgot to measure the metal gasket. The next time I take it apart I'll measure it and post some pics.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR Demand in California Reply with quote

Ramon said he will check in with the machinist tomorrow if he can to see the status.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR Demand in California Reply with quote

Wow! I just read this whole thread from the beginning, and my eyes hurt.

And my head hurts from the CARB nonsense.

What a long strange trip.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: EGR Demand in California Reply with quote

Ulu wrote:
Wow! I just read this whole thread from the beginning, and my eyes hurt.

And my head hurts from the CARB nonsense.

What a long strange trip.

I worked for CalEPA headquarters for almost 15 years as my last career. Because the department I worked in, and the tasks assigned to me, I interfaced with many of their agencies, and knew many people. CARB is in the building I worked at. That gave me a little bit of an edge trying to solve theses issues. During that time I was able to get a catalytic converter pushed thru for our buses in California. It isn't an issue in other states because they follow the older rules for which there are many catalytic converters. I have been working on getting a replacement EGR for 10 years. Such a simple piece of metal but such a pain to find a reasonable replacement. Andrewtf sent me an email that he wishes to help. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=267960 Ray has worked on it before but he cut one up trying to cross section it - my best one too. Arrrrrg. RWK is a mold maker who offered to help but he needs a cad drawing. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=190506 . I don't know what kind etc.. I can put a little money into this to facilitate it but we have to be able to get together to be sure this isn't something that dies along the way. To me, all we are doing is using the old valve and replacing some worn out parts in it, no different than rebuilding a carburetor etc..
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: EGR Demand in California Reply with quote

The whole thing reminds me of the old joke about changing the muffler bearings every 15,000 miles.

I think the design using an elastomeric seal & metal cup is nonsense. No wonder they didn't last. The key is that we have very high heat, but very little motion is required of the valve. It should be more sturdy and reliable than elastomers.

IMO This should have a metal bellowed diaphragm or "Bellofram" type seal.

This would cost much less for material. It can be prototyped by hand. The tooling can be made cheaply. It can be pressed in any cheap frame press or a big vise. It must be pressed to the shaft, or maybe silicone adhesive used.

It appears other folks are involved in trying to solve this issue, outside of the Samba. I don't want to step on their business opportunity, because I don't need the money and I am not looking to make money here

I offered to measure a sample and do a part drawing, and that offer is still open, but I think we'd just be building inferior copies of a poorly designed part that didn't last.

Now I have a tech interest, and may myself run afoul of this same situation, having no EGR at all. All the plumbing is missing too. No air cleaner. Wrong muffler.

If I need to go for smog I'm screwed.

BUT, I'm not trying to build a classic Samba. I'm trying to register a funky kit car. It doesn't have to stay VW powered and I won't jump thru too many hoops to keep it such.

Smog might be far from my worst headache. If the state makes it too difficult to register, I'll just sell it off cheap to rid myself of headaches.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: EGR Demand in California Reply with quote

the part is sandwiched between a ledge on the valve and a special washer that fits over it. There would be no need to press it on anything I think. Cometic gaskets made me some special EGR gaskets at one time. If this material is available in sheets and it would work, they can cut them for me I think. Can you tell me where to get a sample and how expensive is it>
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: EGR Demand in California Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
. . . Can you tell me where to get a sample and how expensive is it>

Of metal for the diaphragm?

I'm not sure what would be the best. I was considering stainless shim stock.

I don't want to speculate further, as I've never seen a valve in person. The photos on the thread are excellent, but it's not enough to go on.

I looked at the bellofram page today. I haven't looked at their products since before the internet took off in the 90's. It looks like they got bought up and it's now Marsh-Bellofram corp.

Anyhow the thing I don't see there is the original patented metal bellofram bellows data.

I think they sold off the metal forming and now do only elastomers. They were big in parts for gages and things like the ACVW thermostat.

Now it looks like medical is their big market.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: EGR Demand in California Reply with quote

https://www.belloframdiaphragm.com/about

That page shows a deep rolling diaphragm, but the VW only needs shallow convolution and can have multiple.

Since the stock shaft must penetrate the diaphragm, there is the weak point for sealing, and also where it will crack. The highest stress is right at the shaft.

But IMO there won't be much stress, as the stroke is so short, right?

How far does the valve come off the seat?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: EGR Demand in California Reply with quote

it moves about 1/8". The design is simple and average life was probably 100,000 miles and 25 years. The bodies usually eat away before the diaphragm does. The tubes fill up with hard coke and have to be cleaned too.

It isn't about profit - there is nothing but money to lose for whomever finances this.

We need:

Name of a company that will make 50 of these for $4 to $7 each.

We need to know what their requirements are to make them, either from a mold of an existing one or a cad drawing. It is too expensive to pay to make a mold.

We need a material to make them out of. It has to be someone who works with this stuff who runs lead on it. When I call these type companies they tell me it is a $10,000 endeavor.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: EGR Demand in California Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
I'm thinking that Mexico will be a good place to retire, so smog testing will be history for me in a few years.

Funny, I was going to suggest New Mexico, but you are already here!

You just need to get the heck out of Bernalillo County, dude. There are no vehicle inspections whatsoever up here (for good or ill.)
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: EGR Demand in California Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
. . .We need:

Name of a company that will make 50 of these for $4 to $7 each. . . .

Yeah . . . that's never gonna happen. Production runs of 50 cost a fortune for the setup.

Of course that's more speculation. I will stop.
mrfixit454
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR Demand in California Reply with quote

Steve tipped me off to activity here again. I have a few pages to catch up on. need to check my notifications.....

Yes, I am headed to the Machine shop after my work telecon and some lunch. I'll report back this afternoon but I have a feeling they have not cut any metal yet. I had asked for 2 or 3 prototypes to test perhaps made out of aluminum or regular steel at first. Finals will be Stainless steel they tell me.

Ramon
2002 Jetta TDI - Pumping out the MPG!
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: EGR Demand in California Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
. . . .average life was probably 100,000 miles and 25 years. . . .

I find that pretty amazing for the times. It would seem more like the maximum than the average.

I'm going to suggest that Ray's big issue with molding was that he tried to make the new part too thin. Because of that, products that flow poorly couldn't be used. I think the diaphragm could be considerably thicker without overpowering the spring and seat.

But my experience with elastomers is limited to commercial glazing applications, facing stone applications, aquarium building and hobbyist cars.

Over 400F, things change a lot.
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: EGR Demand in California Reply with quote

Determine what injection moldable polymer or TPR will work, then a mold can be built, need its shrink rate and any other peculiarity's it may have. Its 50 year old technology, that's the first step in molding, trying to cast part's is problematic,you don't get the same properties as a molded part. Also any format of 3D cad model will work of the part, IGES,STP, Parasolid, It could be manually measured and entered.
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR Demand in California Reply with quote

@RWK
One doesn't have to wonder if you read this thread.
That's all been covered in detail.

The tech isn't the issue.
It's the cost of limited production.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR Demand in California Reply with quote

Ulu wrote:
@RWK
One doesn't have to wonder if you read this thread.
That's all been covered in detail.

The tech isn't the issue.
It's the cost of limited production.

exactly. If 1000 people would buy a part at $10 each it would be easy to do this but best guess is that at the 5 year mark 25 - 30 of them will be sold, or less if the law changes in California. I had about 150 EGR gaskets made - 20 of each of the six or seven gaskets. They were identical to the originals and made by a really well known gasket company who cut me a deal. I packaged the six or seven gaskets, added postage and the cost in gasoline to drive to the PO to ship them, and it took about 5 or 6 years to sell all of them at cost. It is one thing to risk $100 loss to help people in the community, but it is totally something else to risk $10,000.

Last edited by SGKent on Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: