Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EGR Demand in California
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR Demand in California Reply with quote

JimmieH wrote:
I can send you an EGR valve to work with.

Do you know which engines would it be appropriate for? I don't know which fits what.
JaimeH Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR Demand in California Reply with quote

022 131 505. Late ‘76 to ‘79 Bus EGR.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR Demand in California Reply with quote

JimmieH wrote:
022 131 505. Late ‘76 to ‘79 Bus EGR.

also used on late air cooled FI Beetles, the lever or top is inverted I believe.
JaimeH Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR Demand in California Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

also used on late air cooled FI Beetles, the lever or top is inverted I believe.

Good info. I never knew they used the same internals.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: EGR Demand in California Reply with quote

My engine seems to be from a 1972 type 1. It appears that the valve I need is quite different.

But that doesn't mean the internal rubber bit is.

Is there any chance it fits across the range of valves used?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR Demand in California Reply with quote

Ulu wrote:
My engine seems to be from a 1972 type 1. It appears that the valve I need is quite different.

just looking at the T1 carb valve and the FI valve they are totally different. You can use a T1 without an egr. I would not worry about it because they didn't use them until the mid-70's, although there was a period in California around 76-77 where ALL cars had to be retrofitted with one. In 1978 we had a friend with a 1958 beetle who had to add one to his engine to register it when he bought it.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: EGR Demand in California Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Ulu wrote:

just looking at the T1 carb valve and the FI valve they are totally different. You can use a T1 without an egr. I would not worry about it because they didn't use them until the mid-70's, although there was a period in California around 76-77 where ALL cars had to be retrofitted with one. In 1978 we had a friend with a 1958 beetle who had to add one to his engine to register it when he bought it.

Glad that era has evolved. Kind of like the era where we though Lino over oak floors made sense.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: EGR Demand in California Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
SGKent wrote:
Ulu wrote:

Glad that era has evolved. Kind of like the era where we though Lino over oak floors made sense.

you must mean parquet and disco ball. You can still rent them.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: EGR Demand in California Reply with quote

I get the feeling that whatever happens to me at the CHP/DMV will be a total crap shoot.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: EGR Demand in California Reply with quote

Ulu wrote:
I get the feeling that whatever happens to me at the CHP/DMV will be a total crap shoot.

with a 1972 bus only the DMV will count unless you have a problem with lights, brakes, noise, worn out tire treads, etc.. 1972 aren't smogged. The smog follows the latter of chassis year or engine year, meaning if you put a 2005 engine in a 1972 car then the car will be treated the same as a 2005 car.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR Demand in California Reply with quote

Chassis VIN says it's 1973, but the body is un-serialized.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR Demand in California Reply with quote

Ulu wrote:

because that VIN was ground or cut off?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: EGR Demand in California Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Ulu wrote:

because that VIN was ground or cut off?

Uh oh.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: EGR Demand in California Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=735312
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: EGR Demand in California Reply with quote

Ulu wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=735312

put that in your sig line so we don't think you are a bay owner. Saves us a lot of work. Don't mind you here discussing EGR, and bay owners are more fun too but it is nice for us to know what we are dealing with. What year vehicle kit car is that licensed as?
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: EGR Demand in California Reply with quote

1973 VW.

BUT, Here's the thing. I have no clue if my engine was from a car or bus.
It could be built with mixed parts too.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: EGR Demand in California Reply with quote

Here you see the block-off plate.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Jump to:
Page 14 of 14

Jump to: