Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine feels disengaged without any pressure on clutch pedal
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGodinho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject: Engine feels disengaged without any pressure on clutch pedal Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I've tried searching for the problem that I'm having but came up empty. If anyone knows of a thread that has the problem I'm experiencing I'll move my question there. So, 1972 bus with a 1978 GE 2 liter, mated to the 1972 3-rib transaxle. I have a build thread going that explains what I've done a little more in depth but essentially my bus has sat for 2.5 years while I was at college. I recently got the engine back in. At first the starter wouldn't engage, after some research on here, I tapped the starter solenoid while my girlfriend turned the ignition. It worked. Unfortunately I have to tap the solenoid each time to start it. I'm going to follow the steps in the "Sticky Starter" thread to remove, clean and lube the solenoid.

So to the main problem I'm having. Essentially it feels like the engine disengages from the transaxle when I completely remove my foot from the clutch pedal. For example, I'll put it in 2nd gear, when I'm releasing the clutch I feel it engage as it should BUT once I fully release the clutch pedal it feels like I'm in neutral. Then I will barely apply pressure to the clutch pedal and I will feel it reengage. Does this sound like something that can be fixed with a clutch cable/lever adjustment or does it seem like a clutch/pressure plate/throwout bearing kind of problem? I always try to look through old threads so I don't post a redundant question but I wasn't able to find the problem I'm having. Thanks for any tips, I appreciate it.

It should be noted that I have to hold 1st gear in place otherwise it will pop out, 2nd-4th and reverse work fine. My bus was like that when I bought it and this new problem that I'm having didn't happen a couple years ago when it was driving. I cleaned the flywheel with brake cleaner prior to putting the clutch and pressure plate on. The clutch is the same one that was on the bus when I bought it. The clutch disk still had a lot of meat on it so I put it back on when I reinstalled the clutch and pressure plate.

"Love everyone around you because that's all we got"
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine feels disengaged without any pressure on clutch pedal Reply with quote

Remove the rear hub caps and have your girlfriend watch the big nuts in the middle of the hubs while you attempt to drive off. Does one of them spin?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine feels disengaged without any pressure on clutch pedal Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Remove the rear hub caps and have your girlfriend watch the big nuts in the middle of the hubs while you attempt to drive off. Does one of them spin?

Preferably with the parking brake on and the wheels chocked.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine feels disengaged without any pressure on clutch pedal Reply with quote

does the bus move at all? Do you hear any loud clunking noises? Does it do this in all gears?
SGodinho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine feels disengaged without any pressure on clutch pedal Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Preferably with the parking brake on and the wheels chocked.

I will test this momentarily when I get home from work and will get back to both of you. Thanks

SGodinho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine feels disengaged without any pressure on clutch pedal Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
does the bus move at all? Do you hear any loud clunking noises? Does it do this in all gears?

Yes the bus does move. I backed it out of where it was parked, 1st gear out of the driveway and drove a little 100 foot flat section of the road I live on. I live on a steep hill so I don’t want to risk not being able to make it back up until I get this problem solved. No clunking noises. So far after only using R, 1st and 2nd. All three gears feel the same, I’m able to feather the clutch to make the bus move but the last inch of clutch travel (and when my foot is off the pedal) is when it feels like it’s in neutral.

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine feels disengaged without any pressure on clutch pedal Reply with quote

Clutch cable too tight or stretched close to it's breaking point?

Sam

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGodinho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine feels disengaged without any pressure on clutch pedal Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Clutch cable too tight or stretched close to it's breaking point?

Sam

I’m not sure because that’s something I haven’t messed with at all. I just reached under there and looked at the tension on the cable. I’d say it’s on the tighter end, about 1/8-1/4 inch of play in the cable when I push on it. I’d have to consult my Bentley manual to see what the tension should be at.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine feels disengaged without any pressure on clutch pedal Reply with quote

If you push on the clutch pedal with your pinkie finger how far does it move before it becomes impossible to go further?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGodinho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine feels disengaged without any pressure on clutch pedal Reply with quote

I was dumb and forgot to disconnect my battery after i had it running yesterday. It’s dead and now I have to charge it. I’ll get back to you guys once I’ve run the tests. Thanks

Shawn

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine feels disengaged without any pressure on clutch pedal Reply with quote

I am going to make a guess that the disc and friction surfaces are worn to the point the fingers are hitting the cover as you release the clutch and for some reason at that point wear in the various points of the clutch cover is allowing the disc to slip readily.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine feels disengaged without any pressure on clutch pedal Reply with quote

generally people don't give it full gas when letting the clutch out. Try to determine if the issue is related to the gas pedal or the clutch. We had a case here about last week where a guy said his bus kept dying but it was really he was turning the steering wheel at that point and that was pulling the ignition wire loose. Once the clutch is out don't give it full gas and see if it still goes or it doesn't. That will tell us if it is load related or clutch related. Also Mark's original suggestion of checking to see if the axles are spinning is a good one. Make sure that the transmission bolts to engine are tight too. Do you know how to check the CV joints to see if they are bad?
SGodinho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Engine feels disengaged without any pressure on clutch pedal Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
generally people don't give it full gas when letting the clutch out. Try to determine if the issue is related to the gas pedal or the clutch. We had a case here about last week where a guy said his bus kept dying but it was really he was turning the steering wheel at that point and that was pulling the ignition wire loose. Once the clutch is out don't give it full gas and see if it still goes or it doesn't. That will tell us if it is load related or clutch related. Also Mark's original suggestion of checking to see if the axles are spinning is a good one. Make sure that the transmission bolts to engine are tight too. Do you know how to check the CV joints to see if they are bad?

I haven't been giving full gas when letting the clutch out. Maybe I worded that weird, I use a clutch normally only giving it a small amount of gas so the engine doesn't stall. I've tightened the transmission bolts to the engine as tight as I can using a box end wrench/socket. I recently checked those bolts because I saw you say the same thing in a different thread. Should I try to tighten those 4 bolts more with an impact gun or is that overkill? I don't know how to check the CV joints without looking at my manual. I replaced both axles with brand new ones from bus depot that came packed with grease. I saved my old ones to rebuild. I installed the new ones with new triple point bolts, kept the metal spacers, and reused the serrated washers. Torqued to 33-foot pounds (vanagon spec). I'm going to check the torque on those bolts tonight as well.

So to sum up what I'm going to check:
1.) With parking brake on and wheels chocked, try to drive off, check the big center nuts on both sides to see if they spin when I attempt to drive off.

2.) Push on clutch pedal with my pinky. Record how far it moves before I can't push further.

3.) In gear, clutch out, give it very gentle amount of gas, see if it moves.

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll get back with my results

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Engine feels disengaged without any pressure on clutch pedal Reply with quote

if you don't have a physical service manual with you
you can maybe view the online PDF version to help you out.
https://juliorestrepo.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/...ingles.pdf
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: