Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Air Cleaners
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
magoo-uk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject: Air Cleaners Reply with quote

I'm planning to put a new engine into my 1969/ 1970 model van. Either a B code single port 1600 with a single Solex, or because I'm currently a twin port with twin carbs, I'll maybe put in another 1776 with an upgraded 34 Solex. But I'm getting rid of the twin carbs whatever I decide to go with.

So air cleaners?

I'm aware of the three main variations:

8/67-7/70 With cable controlled valve, controlled by motor thermostat. (211129613G, 211129613H, 211129613L)

8/70-7/71 Thermostatically operated valve, thermostat is on side of airbox. (211129607C)

8/71-7/74 With engine vacuum actuated valve. (211129607A, 211129607F)

I've been offered 211129607C in nice working condition. Will this only work with a twin port and what other ancillaries will I need to make this work as intended?

Natural Light Design
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fez68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Cleaners Reply with quote

i have a 68 wth the original air cleaner (oil bath). i also had a 71 air cleaner. the 71 like you said has its own thermostat tyo open the pre heat valve. the 68 has a cable to the thermostat that actuates it. I opted for the 71 because its allot easier to take the air cleaner off without the cable attached to it. i also dont run a thermostat. LOOK OUT now this thread is going to blow up with people telling me i am nuts for not running a thermostat. but hey i ran this 1641 ( shit those 1641 engines dont last they run way too hot and the cylinders are toooo thin) cross country for 4 months in 1998/1999 and then in 2004 i pulled it snd it sat on a pallet until 2016 when i put it into my 68 westy and i have put another 4000 on it. anyways the air cleaner without the cbale is easier in my opinion. Also i would stay with the stock oil bath as they work great. have fun !

forgot to ad that the the first bus i had the engine in was a 71 with a 71 air cleaner. it is the one you have been offered i believe. oh and i dont have the flaps either hahaha
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Cleaners Reply with quote

Each person has to decide what it is they want. Some people want the higher RPM power of dual carbs, and some people want the reliability of the factory stock set up. Some people use their buses as daily drivers and want something that lasts 80,000+ miles between engine rebuilds. Some people drive their buses 1000 miles a year so if the engine only last 40,000 miles that is a life time of use to them.

Before you decide on a carb, decide why you are unhappy with what you have now. List what you like and what you don't like.

As for the thermostat comment - I lived in SoCal for many years and drove a bus with and without a thermostat in hot (120F) and cold (-15) weather. The engine runs better with one and doesn't cool any better with it gone. There is less metal fatigue with less expansion and contraction. Do as you wish.
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Cleaners Reply with quote

Man, where’d you live in Ca with those temp extremes?

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Cleaners Reply with quote

magoo-uk wrote:
I've been offered 211129607C in nice working condition. Will this only work with a twin port and what other ancillaries will I need to make this work as intended?

As long as you have the preheat elbow under the rear tin, and the stand for it on the body it doesn't matter what engine is in there.
And while you have it on the bench read this (all of it): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=581562

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Cleaners Reply with quote

Jeff Geisen wrote:
Man, where’d you live in Ca with those temp extremes?

Desert out near Havasu on the highs, and Sierras in winter on the lows. Also trips across the USA in summer and winter.
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Cleaners Reply with quote

Don't you need to wire open the flapper if you remove the thermostat, so it doesn't suck air from the pre-heat pipe the whole time?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Cleaners Reply with quote

there are different thermostats at work here. The 1971 used a wax pellet thermostat that opened the pre-heat door on the air cleaner. The engine used a bellows thermostat to open flaps. Those wax pellet thermostats are NLA.

Earlier type 1 bus models used a cable from the bellows and engine thermostat to open and close the air cleaner pre-heat.

Some foreign cars of the period simply had a summer and a winter position on the air cleaner snorkle. However that doesn't always work because my CJ7 pre-heat was vacuum operated with a temperature sensor. One winter climbing a long hill the engine vacuum overcame the switch vent, and opened the pre-heat door climbing Jacumba grade in East San Diego County, set the pre-heat tube on fire, which set the carb on fire, which melted the intake manifold in places. I was able to get the fire out and limp home. I changed the Jeep design so it couldn't happen again by venting the switch outside the air cleaner but the moral is don't use pre-heat except to start the car cold if you can avoid it. The Jeep was pulling air across the exhaust manifold while a bus pulls mostly hot exhaust air from the cylinders and heads.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Cleaners Reply with quote

If I had my druthers I would like a vacuum or electric operated intake air preheat flapper that was operated by a sensor reading the temperature of the throttle body of the carb. I would want it pouring heat into the air stream until the base of the carb was nice and warm and then moderating the intake air temp from that point on. I am sure that with the zillions of sensor that were out there 30-40 years ago there were one or more that could do this handsomely.

FWIW, my general preference over the years has been extra intake air preheat and less manifold heat.
magoo-uk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Air Cleaners Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

As long as you have the preheat elbow under the rear tin, and the stand for it on the body it doesn't matter what engine is in there.
And while you have it on the bench read this (all of it): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=581562

That's a point! In my head I had a stand, forgetting that someone chopped it off to accommodate (twin carbs) a dipstick holder. Rolling Eyes I'll have to improvise somehow.

Does the 211129607C oil bath cleaner need a particular fan shroud? Dog house or non doghouse? I need to track down the correct year for that also.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]

Natural Light Design
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Cleaners Reply with quote

I use T 181 (Thing) air cleaners on my two rigs.

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Cleaners Reply with quote

You can find the oil bath stand, with a bit of looking. You could probably improvise something if you need to as well. Get the diameter right and the clips are part of the air cleaner anyway, so it should work. You might even come up with something cool for us to see!

Wildthings, I am curious, why the more intake heat and less manifold heat? How would you regulate that?

Thanks!

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Cleaners Reply with quote

ccowx wrote:
You can find the oil bath stand, with a bit of looking. You could probably improvise something if you need to as well. Get the diameter right and the clips are part of the air cleaner anyway, so it should work. You might even come up with something cool for us to see!

Wildthings, I am curious, why the more intake heat and less manifold heat? How would you regulate that?

Thanks!

Chris

A nice warm intake air evaporates the fuel very well and not dumping too much heat into the manifold keeps the carb from baking as bad after shutdown. On many engines the heat riser predates the intake air stove by decades and was designed as the sole heat source for the carb, when intake heat stoves came along, the heat riser flow was often not reduced in anyway leading to a hotter than needed manifold and carb.

I would love to have a way to automatically reduce the flow through the VW heat riser pipe after the engine was sufficiently warm. You always want some heat riser function but just not as much.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Cleaners Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
ccowx wrote:

Thanks!

Chris

A nice warm intake air evaporates the fuel very well and not dumping too much heat into the manifold keeps the carb from baking as bad after shutdown. On many engines the heat riser predates the intake air stove by decades and was designed as the sole heat source for the carb, when intake heat stoves came along, the heat riser flow was often not reduced in anyway leading to a hotter than needed manifold and carb.

I would love to have a way to automatically reduce the flow through the VW heat riser pipe after the engine was sufficiently warm. You always want some heat riser function but just not as much.

You can snag a thermo vacuum switch and then drive the airbox by vacuum off many european cars, parts from a junkyard
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Cleaners Reply with quote

Makes sense!

I am planning to use a 1971 aircleaner with the thermostat in it. I am also using headers and I have constructed a box around them to give a (hopefully) very effective preheat. I live in the Yukon and so these things can be more important on a winter hunting trip!

I figure that the intake should be able to maintain a steady 60F or so, even when the outside is at -40. It is also set up with proper intake manifold crossovers, so hopefully this will all be enough.

Further to the OP's questions, I have driven a VW for years with effectively no thermostats or pre-heat in the Vancouver Canada area and I have to say it is better to have all of the bits in place! In summer it was fine, but in winter it could be a bit choppy. Nothing horrendous, but enough that it was noticeably less smooth in cold weather. It also took a very long time to warm up and was prone to stalling for the first few minutes. That climate is probably not very different from most coastal areas of the UK. Wet and cool, most of the time.

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
magoo-uk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Air Cleaners Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
magoo-uk wrote:

I had a good read thank you and by luck found an NOS thermostat on German eBay this morning...the last one on earth. The 211129607C NOS Air cleaner is on its way too.

Do you know the part number of the preheat elbow tin? Are they year dependent?

[/url]

Natural Light Design
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Air Cleaners Reply with quote

magoo-uk wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
magoo-uk wrote:

I had a good read thank you and by luck found an NOS thermostat on German eBay this morning...the last one on earth. The 211129607C NOS Air cleaner is on its way too.

Do you know the part number of the preheat elbow tin? Are they year dependent?

[/url]

OMG you won the lottery. Measure the Outside Diameter on the wax portion at the end accurately if you can please.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9407709&highlight=#9407709
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Air Cleaners Reply with quote

I got an air cleaner from a gentleman on this site, where he had used a 3-d printer to create an adapter to use a more modern volvo thermostat rather than the unobtanium version you managed to find.

Chris

PS: The elbow is standard for any type 1 engine I believe, except that in 1974(?) they changed it slightly, along with the new muffler that ducts the manifold heat risers from left to right rather than the other way. I have both and could take pictures later tonight if that helps. I think as long as you use the correct muffler you are fine. If you use headers, I don't think it matters.
magoo-uk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Air Cleaners Reply with quote

What are the part numbers for the fan housing and flaps / cooling air regulators?

113 119 025 J ? I'm confused between bus and beetle tin.

As long as the fanshroud fits that 211129607C air cleaner above and is twin port.

Natural Light Design
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Cleaners Reply with quote

the upright breast plate is different between a beetle and bus. Also the engine mount at the rear of the bus is different. A bus has a bar across the back, the case is setup, and drilled for that mustache bar.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: