Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Driving with Idle Control Unti Disconnected
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marshj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Driving with Idle Control Unti Disconnected Reply with quote

1986 2.1 GL is idling high at startup ( no tac, have clock version of dash ). I would estimate 2k RPM.

Idle control valve has resistence, ICU was in a squrells next and wet for a few years. So seems the culprit, van idles great with ICU or ICV disconnected. While rebuilding ICU would it be bad to drive the van with it disconnected? I have seen a few reports of people doing this

Jeff
nesurfer99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Driving with Idle Control Unti Disconnected Reply with quote

I have an 89. I disconnected mine about 20k miles ago. I've done long drives up and down the east coast since then and can't say I've seen a reason to plug it back in. One caveat, I live in FL and don't see much cold weather.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Driving with Idle Control Unti Disconnected Reply with quote

Running it disconnected won't "hurt" anything. You just loose the idle control feature. Worse case it stalls and you have to use your foot to keep it running.
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving with Idle Control Unti Disconnected Reply with quote

removed mine, adj idle with the bypass screw, runs great.
Marshj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving with Idle Control Unti Disconnected Reply with quote

Awesome.

This was some feedback I was hoping to hear!

Going to revuild to ICU with the right components, but in the meantime need to get the van on the road.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving with Idle Control Unti Disconnected Reply with quote

I've also been running with the ICU disconnected on my 2.1 Be sure to plug the inlet end of ICV and of course block hole at intake boot. i found that a Vanagon 14" wheel bolt fit nice and snug into intake boot hole. And IIRC, I clamped the hose from ICV to threads on that bolt. The engine takes a little bit to warm up to the point that I can turn steering more than just a little; when engine cold, if I turn PS too far, engine stalls.

This is kind of an aside but with the ICU disconnected I Ohmed out the wires between it and whatever else I could get at. I really doubt a fault could develop in that portion of harness but if you had time to kill..... Wink

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: