Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

turn signal switch options
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ozzmonaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: turn signal switch options Reply with quote

I have been comparing turn signal switch prices and options. I have a 69 bus, and I realize that only the "correct" switch is what I should purchase. However, the 66-67 signal switches for sale have the correct wiring colors according to the wiring diagram in my Bentley manual, and the 68-71 switches do not. Additionally, the 66-67 switches are about $55-$60 cheaper. The only problem I can see right now, will the cancelling ring for the 66-67 switch work with my steering wheel? Also, any fitment issues due to a possible different diameter steering shaft between 67 and 68+(I have never owned a split bus, so I don't know). Anybody tried this? I don't mind paying a little more for the right thing, but the wiring colors on the 68+ switches are way off from the diagram, and the 66-67 switch is exact. And, of course, the 66-67 switch looks a little better, which isn't really a selling point, but it doesn't hurt either. Thanks in advance for your help.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: turn signal switch options Reply with quote

The electrical "guts" will fit all housings from '62-'71, so you could theoretically take the electrical portion out of a 66+ switch* and put it into your bay housing to match and avoid any column fitment issues. (I don't know what the physical differences of the housings are, sorry.)

What is broken on yours that requires a new switch? Most OG switches are repairable.

Robbie

*even the guts from a '62+ will fit, but the high beam relay wasn't triggered by the turn signal stalk until '66.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ozzmonaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: turn signal switch options Reply with quote

When I got the bus, the turn signal switch was missing. A previous owner had mounted a 3-position switch on the column. It works ok, as long as the headlights are off and the brake pedal is not pressed, LOL. If the headlights are on, rear lights are on but don't blink, and if brake is pressed, front signals come on solid as well. Also has an aftermarket gm-style fuse box. And headlights are also through a toggle. I'm just trying to get everything back to normal, but I've been driving the bus pretty much daily in the meantime.
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: turn signal switch options Reply with quote

The "magic" as far as dividing the rear turn signal from brake light happens within the flasher switch via the black w/purple wire at switch terminal 54f. It runs from there into the T/S switch.

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: turn signal switch options Reply with quote

Jeff Geisen wrote:
The "magic" as far as dividing the rear turn signal from brake light happens within the flasher switch via the black w/purple wire at switch terminal 54f. It runs from there into the T/S switch.

Well...., not really, the 7 wire combination brake/signal style switch keeps the front and rear circuits split so the rears can be brake lights when the lever is static (in neutral), when you move the lever the side you select is disconnected from the brake circuit and connected to the flasher along with the front circuit's light for that side. The hazard switch connects the brake light circuit to the flasher as well as both fronts so the rears flash along with the fronts even though they are still split at the signal switch.

The simple three position on-off-on toggle switch will work if you don't mind the fronts coming on with the brakes, quitting flashing when you turn on the side or head lights means there's a fixture or two that's not grounded well and the parking light power removes the temporary ground path through the other filaments.

You could solve the front brake light issue with a trailer light converter, but the extra expense along with the added wiring mess isn't worth it IMO, just buck up and buy the correct part, cheap always bites you later.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: