Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 1 push rod (fell?) off rocker arm
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
westysmb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Type 1 push rod (fell?) off rocker arm Reply with quote

I did a compression test and found zero compression in #2 cylinder. When I went to adjust the valves to see if it would help with the issue, this is what I found.

Any thoughts on what I should do/how to approach this?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm not sure if I can just put the push rod back on the rocker arm or if I'm going to have to remove the push rod, check if its bend (which it probably is), pull the whole head, etc.

This is on a type 1 1641 dual port.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 push rod (fell?) off rocker arm Reply with quote

Well step 1 is find out why that happened, is the valve still compressed?, does the pushrod move out when you turn the engine to the intake stroke for that cylinder?, did a nut or something go down the intake and jam the valve allowing it to hop out? is the valve sticking in the guide?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 push rod (fell?) off rocker arm Reply with quote

remove the rocker shaft and see if the valve moves back out. my thought is that it will not. i'm thinking (as mentioned) that the valve is siezed in the guide or that something is causing it to stick open. if that is the case, the head needs to come off for repairs or replacement.

if the valve does move back out, can you easily move that rocker arm on the shaft, or is the rocker am siezed to the shaft?

pull the push rod out for inspection, and also look at the push rod tube for holes/bends/damage.
westysmb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 push rod (fell?) off rocker arm Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Well step 1 is find out why that happened, is the valve still compressed?, does the pushrod move out when you turn the engine to the intake stroke for that cylinder?, did a nut or something go down the intake and jam the valve allowing it to hop out? is the valve sticking in the guide?

It looks like the valve spring is still slightly compressed when I'm at bottom dead center. The push rod does move out when turning the engine by hand. Not sure whether or not something fell in the intake (nothing has fallen in since I've owned it). The push rod is just hanging loosely there, moves around, and can be put back, but it leaves the rocker arm with about 1/2 inch clearance between the valve and rocker arm. I'm going to upload a couple more pictures here in a few.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 push rod (fell?) off rocker arm Reply with quote

Take the Intake manifold off and take a look at the valve seat.

Dropped valve seat

Good luck
Tcash
westysmb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 push rod (fell?) off rocker arm Reply with quote

The valve didn't move out. The rocker arm moves freely.

I think the push rod looks pretty good and straight. The push rod tube looks good from the outside, but has some damage where the push rod was resting against it.

How easy is it to remove the head to see whats going on?

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 push rod (fell?) off rocker arm Reply with quote

Easy with the engine out.
Hard with the engine in.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 push rod (fell?) off rocker arm Reply with quote

roll the pushrod on a piece of glass, something no one will get upset about if you leave a scratch. That will tell you if it is bent and how badly.

Use a propane torch to warm up the head around the valve guide, not the spring itself - when I say warm meaning you can still touch it but not too hot. If the spring comes back out you can try some Carb spray on the valve stem FOLLOWED by a couple good squirts of oil - AFTER the torch is turned off. Usually what it means is that the guide is too tight, the spring too weak, and the guide or varnish /carbon has grabbed the valve. HOWEVER it can also mean that a seat has fallen out, or that a valve floated and hit a piston. If you are home I would probably pull the head and take it to a machine shop but this has happened to me once on a cold morning a very long time ago when camping, and it never came back because I ran some cleaner in the oil then changed it as soon as we got home. I did rebuild the heads as soon as I could however. In my case I left the pushrod off and started the engine and let it idle for a couple minutes to heat the head, and the spring popped out. If your head was warm already and the spring did not come out just take both the heads to the machine shop and have them checked.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 push rod (fell?) off rocker arm Reply with quote

How old is the fuel in your tank? If it is more than a month old it can cause a gummy substance to build up on your valve stems and seize the stems in the valve guides. This unfortunately is a very common problem any more with cars that don't see enough use to burn through a tank of gas at least once a month.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Type 1 push rod (fell?) off rocker arm Reply with quote

My bet is bent valve.

What’s That Noise?!?
westysmb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 push rod (fell?) off rocker arm Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Take the Intake manifold off and take a look at the valve seat.

Dropped valve seat

Good luck
Tcash

I took the intake manifold off, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be seeing?

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 push rod (fell?) off rocker arm Reply with quote

Ok imagine the valve opening and closing.

Right now the valve is stuck open.
So you need to look deeper in the hole at the valve.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 push rod (fell?) off rocker arm Reply with quote

Is it an optical illusion or are there no washers under the head nuts?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 push rod (fell?) off rocker arm Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:

So you need to look deeper in the hole...

You might need Xevins help, this is one of his specialties...
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 push rod (fell?) off rocker arm Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:

Good eye, that would have me inspired to pull it apart for a peek inside.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 push rod (fell?) off rocker arm Reply with quote

You've seized a valve...time to drop that engine and start finding all the Charlie Foxtrots from the build. No one with any skills can put bolts onto case studs without washers unless they are clueless. They just go together.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 push rod (fell?) off rocker arm Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:

Yes , optical illusion. There are washers in there and they can be seen in other pics.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 push rod (fell?) off rocker arm Reply with quote

westysmb wrote:
I took the intake manifold off, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be seeing?

Well it didn't really help that T$$$$ posted a pic of a type 4 cylinder head, not a type 1 head.
Yes, you'll need to look further down the intake passage with a bright light and possibly a small inspection mirror. However, type 1 heads are not really known for dropping seats. Possible, yes, but not nearly as "common" as type 4 heads.
Regardless, the head should come off for further inspection and repair.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 push rod (fell?) off rocker arm Reply with quote

Spray some carb cleaner down in the intake port so it soaks the valve stem as well as possible. Once the cleaner sits for a while use a soft drift and a hammer and smartly tap the end of the valve stem a few times. With luck the valve will slam shut.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 push rod (fell?) off rocker arm Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:

Yes , optical illusion. There are washers in there and they can be seen in other pics.

The wonderful joys of camera phones. Razz They're quick and easy, at the expense of quality…

--

Reading over a few years of threads on here, Type 1 engines seem to drop more intake valves than exhaust valves. It's no wonder, as the tin pieces most commonly left off ALL relate to over-cooling of the intake valves.

OP- go with the easiest suggestions first, then work up to the more difficult/expensive suggestions. No sense in ripping the thing apart just to find that the valve is stuck in the guide for one freak issue.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: