Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Out for 17 years, now back in it! Building a Berrien Genesis
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Out for 17 years, now back in it! Building a Berrien Genesis Reply with quote

so after looking and finding stuff that may or may not work, at a pretty steep price, i decided to make my own intake elbow.

I didn't want to cut the body because i will eventually be changing this motor to most likely a built dual port dual carb motor.

so i needed to find away to make a filter work without cutting the body...

I used a 1 1/2" abs street 90 sanded a section out that hit the body, used epoxy to glue an acrylic piece in. sanded, painted, now i have to wait till i get home to see if it fits.

I will also be using a regular 1 1/2" abs 22 and an 1 1/2" street 22 with a
k&n RC-2330 filter. it should tuck up under nicely.. i hope..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bkhansen93
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Out for 17 years, now back in it! Building a Berrien Genesis Reply with quote

Haha. Sorry to keep blowing up your thread but I had that same exact issue. I couldn't figure it out so I reluctantly cut the body. Also, I don't know about yours but mine looks like dual carbs might not fit either. Not without some major cutting of the body.
Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Out for 17 years, now back in it! Building a Berrien Genesis Reply with quote

Bkhansen93 wrote:
Haha. Sorry to keep blowing up your thread but I had that same exact issue. I couldn't figure it out so I reluctantly cut the body. Also, I don't know about yours but mine looks like dual carbs might not fit either. Not without some major cutting of the body.

lol no worries man, yeah i have not even looking at that yet, but i was worried there wasn't room at first glance, but i will have no problem cutting when that happens if need be cause that motor will be the last motor i will be using.. or that type of configuration of motor anyway.
Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Out for 17 years, now back in it! Building a Berrien Genesis Reply with quote

Success!

MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Out for 17 years, now back in it! Building a Berrien Genesis Reply with quote

Most unique and custom-fitted velocity stack ever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Out for 17 years, now back in it! Building a Berrien Genesis Reply with quote

MrGoodtunes wrote:
Most unique and custom-fitted velocity stack ever.

Dancing
Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Out for 17 years, now back in it! Building a Berrien Genesis Reply with quote

welp it finally arrived!! Dancing Dancing

4" narrowed and adjustable ball joint beam from Sam @ autowerks! this thing is very nicely made! Very happy customer. great communication throughout the process, quick responses. made exactly what i wanted!

got this baby mocked up, took some wheel and tire measurements, and then pulled it off to paint.
ordered front shocks and tires. soon i will be full assembly mode!! woot woot

didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Out for 17 years, now back in it! Building a Berrien Genesis Reply with quote

Rockbound wrote:
Success!

This would likely have cleared the body -

http://www.thethingshop.com/SINGLE-ELBOW-FOR-AIR-CLEANER/productinfo/211129615E/

bryan
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Out for 17 years, now back in it! Building a Berrien Genesis Reply with quote

Rockbound wrote:
so after looking and finding stuff that may or may not work, at a pretty steep price, i decided to make my own intake elbow.

I didn't want to cut the body because i will eventually be changing this motor to most likely a built dual port dual carb motor.

so i needed to find away to make a filter work without cutting the body...

... the Air Intake clearance problem, brought to you courtesy of the transmission risers. Laughing

bryan
Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Out for 17 years, now back in it! Building a Berrien Genesis Reply with quote

Yeah. Not really an issue. Just didnt want to cut the body just yet.. I saw that and thought it could work. But it would have been a pricey test.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Out for 17 years, now back in it! Building a Berrien Genesis Reply with quote

Rockbound wrote:
Yeah. Not really an issue. Just didnt want to cut the body just yet.. I saw that and thought it could work. But it would have been a pricey test.

A Samba member might've loan you one for cost of shipping only to use as a test fit... and most suppliers would accept a Return.

bryan
Bkhansen93
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Out for 17 years, now back in it! Building a Berrien Genesis Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
Rockbound wrote:

A Samba member might've loan you one for cost of shipping only to use as a test fit... and most suppliers would accept a Return.

bryan

I had that same issue. I tried using that part as well. Since it is made of rubber, it flops around. Unless you have a good way to secure it I wouldn't do it. I ended up just cutting the body
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Out for 17 years, now back in it! Building a Berrien Genesis Reply with quote

I wanted to use this, but it hits the back of my tail lights. Steel, with a bracket that holds up the end. Comes from a VW bus. I'll try again some day when I do some freshening up of the car.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Out for 17 years, now back in it! Building a Berrien Genesis Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
I wanted to use this, but it hits the back of my tail lights. Steel, with a bracket that holds up the end. Comes from a VW bus. I'll try again some day when I do some freshening up of the car.

my thoughts where to use one of those, cut it somewhere on the arm, see pic i inserted yellow line and find a filter to fit the arm here are some k&n sizes i was looking at below.

Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Out for 17 years, now back in it! Building a Berrien Genesis Reply with quote

All painted up assembled and ready to go in!
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Out for 17 years, now back in it! Building a Berrien Genesis Reply with quote

Are there any good buggy specific air filter threads? I didn't find much in a search. We have somewhat unique fit issues. I've only got about 2" above the top of a 36 horse fan shroud and have been looking at the options for a stock carb too.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Out for 17 years, now back in it! Building a Berrien Genesis Reply with quote

This is the direction I was headed. It still hits the back of my tail lights so I didn't modify it.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Out for 17 years, now back in it! Building a Berrien Genesis Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
This is the direction I was headed. It still hits the back of my tail lights so I didn't modify it.

you can def make the work with some easy mods.
Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Out for 17 years, now back in it! Building a Berrien Genesis Reply with quote

SEATS!!

custom PRP roadsters came out perfect.

Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Out for 17 years, now back in it! Building a Berrien Genesis Reply with quote

also go the front beam installed

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: