Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear firewall insulation??
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crocksvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Rear firewall insulation?? Reply with quote

May have this titled wrong hopefully someone can help me out. I want to replace this piece of insulation in the pic. The car is a 66 and as far as I can tell it's original to the car. The car was painted years ago and I wanted to do it then but was told not to take it off blah blah. Well I want to dynamat the interior and would like to replace this piece. It's obvious the interior isn't ready yet but hopefully in the next few weeks it will be. I'm just getting everything together for when I start. Thank you for any help.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear firewall insulation?? Reply with quote

So was there a question?
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crocksvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear firewall insulation?? Reply with quote

Any info on removing it? What to expect if I do replace it with a different insulation material. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear firewall insulation?? Reply with quote

I used a putty knife to remove mine. It has a fuzzy backing. I put on a dynamat type product, and then I put that insulation back on over the top of it, using a spray on contact cement.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crocksvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear firewall insulation?? Reply with quote

Ok that's what I was wanting to find out. If it could be re used and for those who don't have it did the dynamat or similar product keep it as quiet or better.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear firewall insulation?? Reply with quote

I think the dynamat and the factory insulation filter different frequencies. So together I think they work well. I also put some dynamat on the engine side of that firewall under a three piece metal firewall kit.

heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear firewall insulation?? Reply with quote

I plan on sandblasting mine off!

I never thought about replacing it. When I think of dynomat or any material I think about how much weight it will add to the car. This seems important.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: