Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Compressor heat questions
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Compressor heat questions Reply with quote

Chris333 wrote:
...At work we have 4 old air dryers that are not in use. The surface are of the cooling "radiator" is about 24x24" so it is pretty beefy. And I would like to put it between my pump and tank.
...and it has a large fan built into it. I'd like to make it work and save a few bucks.
Once you get that setup working you will be amazed at the difference it makes in tank temperature and condensation build up. I did a similar setup using an 11" x 11" transmission oil cooler and an 1100 CFM computer rack cooling fan. The air temp at the inlet to the tank is about 10*F above ambient. The line between the pump and the aftercoller can get as hot as 300*F so yes, make sure the tubing you use is rated for the temp @ PSI that your compressor will produce.

You may find this post in another compressor related thread helpful: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8468040#8468040

...we're all in this together,
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Compressor heat questions Reply with quote

I got this hooked up today. Not pretty, but it works. The in pipe is too hot to touch and the out pipe is cool. And this is with not fan yet.

When the pressure switch shuts off there is a lot longer air unload. I guess I need a check valve somewhere.

Where should I put it?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Compressor heat questions Reply with quote

Chris333 wrote:
...Where should I put it?
1) If you depressurize you storage tank after using your compressor you can put it at the inlet to the cooler. This will reduce the amount of blow off to what is in the heads an the line between them and the cooler.
2) If you don't depressurize your tank after use you may want to put it at the inlet for the tank. This will increase the amount of blow-off but will keep the cooler at atmosphere when not in use.

Edit: You may want to put a "T" fitting with a 12" down pipe and a ball valve at the end of it where the 90* elbow is just bellow the inlet to the cooler. This will help you purge any condensate that builds up in the cooler and keep it from finding its way back to the compressor pump.

I have the check valve at the tank, after my cooler, because I leave my tank pressurized. It takes a bit longer to clear the line when the compressor shuts off but I feel better not having the cooler pressurized all the time.

-----
Emil

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Compressor heat questions Reply with quote

Soon has it was hooked up I realized I should've added the T for a drain. I'll do it.

Pretty sure the factory check valve is at the tank so just leave it as is?
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Compressor heat questions Reply with quote

No harm in doing so and less tinkering all around. Mine works fine that way and my compressor is almost identical to yours.

-----
Emil

Last edited by Evil_Fiz on Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Compressor heat questions Reply with quote

Used a 2" air grinder today and saw the tube from the compressor to the dryer is getting discolored. I know it gets very hot.
Canghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Compressor heat questions Reply with quote

I did something similar but used an old ac window shaker unit with the fan. I just cut of the compressor out of the ac unit and ran a copper line from the compressor to the ac unit mounted on a wall. I have a 60 gallon oil less compressor and it runs way too hot and creates way too much moisture. Even with the t connection and a short drip leg it still does not get all of the moiseure out. It works well enough for me to blast and to run a sander/die grinder but I am not sure about paint. Even with this mod it still runs too hot and creates too much moisture. It is on its way out, I have just purchased an older model 100 gallon Quincy to replace it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: