Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can you Jump a Thing?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Can you Jump a Thing? Reply with quote

A couple years ago, I drove my Thing in the local Jeep Jamboree which was fun and I'm thinking about doing it again. After the road rally, some of us went to the off road park. The Jeep owners I was with were impressed with some of the places I took it.

But at one point, I drove through a creek, and then the Jeep behind me came through much faster, and got some air. And I was a little jealous I hadn't tried that.

So, can I jump it? Can a Thing safely get a little air without breaking a bunch of stuff? (Assuming the front end isn't all rusted to pieces and all that, of course.) Is a stock Thing's motor strong enough to make it get some air??

I found this in the gallery...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you Jump a Thing? Reply with quote

I thought 'can you jump a Thing' had to do with starting it. I thought, 'of course, why not?' so I clicked on the thread. haha

I'm sure with a properly angled ramp, anything is possible. It's the landing I'd be concerned about.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you Jump a Thing? Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
I thought 'can you jump a Thing' had to do with starting it. I thought, 'of course, why not?' so I clicked on the thread. haha

I'm sure with a properly angled ramp, anything is possible. It's the landing I'd be concerned about.

Yeah, landing is what I'd be afraid of too.

So maybe the question should be made more precise:

Should a Thing be able to safely land a jump of, say, 1 foot? Just a little pop up in the air. What would you consider to be the maximum?

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you Jump a Thing? Reply with quote

This reminds me of when people ask me if a Thing can go in the water.
I always say "sure, but it won't come out".

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you Jump a Thing? Reply with quote

Yeah you can jump it. Once.
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you Jump a Thing? Reply with quote

Yes a Thing will jump, yes the landing will be hard but it will survive.

They are beefed up quite a bit from a type 1, front beams have larger ball joints and mine had braces from the beam to the chassis, not sure if all do. Many Baja's have Thing front beams installed because they sit higher and have more "stock" travel.

I'm not sure on the rear end, I would think it too has heavier components, the engine in mine even had a cage attached to the sump.

All the beef does make it heavier, so more force is applied on the landing, it's not something I would do repeatedly, or at all in a stock Thing, but modified...yeah I'd jump....
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you Jump a Thing? Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't want to do anything super crazy. But it would be neat to be able to even get like a foot or a few inches of air every once in a while while playing with the Jeep dudes.

The Jeep that made the jump, was stock as far as I can tell.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
cecil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Can you Jump a Thing? Reply with quote

Just a quick observation. If you lived “ out west “ and especially knew people like Sam Williams, the question would be “ How far can I jump it? “. Every Tuesday my wife and I ride fire trails ( easy to find, just look for the smoke ). Sometimes we catch air, not a lot, but it becomes addicting. Have fun.
cousineddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you Jump a Thing? Reply with quote

I've jumped mine a few times,not high,but definitely have gotten a little air,I have Bilstein 5100's on mine but everything else is stock.The landings aren't bad.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you Jump a Thing? Reply with quote

Either of you got pics of your Thing airborn?

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
cousineddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Can you Jump a Thing? Reply with quote

I'll see if I can a pic or two today
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you Jump a Thing? Reply with quote

I can't find the pic on my computer, but the back of my T-short has this pic of me jumping!

When I left college in England and worked as a development engineer for Henry Ford, I took cars to the tank proving ground, the Swedish Rally drivers said they liked to go yumping! That was where we beefed up the factory rally cars, in 1965.

But I really have jumped my Thingster in the desert,

Here is the real pic

Anyone see the photo shop magic!
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you Jump a Thing? Reply with quote

Yes!
The Thingster casts the shadow of a sand rail.
Keep on yumping!

The Desert Rats (British 7th Armoured)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: