Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official lazy person's stupid question thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
^^^

Makes me want to add a new sig line every week, just to see where the threshold is...???

Laughing Wink

- Dave

Abscate, Geez, who'd be so lame???!!!!!!!!

But now it's just too short... EB, Oh EB! Laughing

— Colin Chapman

Last edited by E1 on Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:11 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
^^^

Makes me want to add a new sig line every week, just to see where the threshold is...???

Laughing Wink

- Dave

DO IT!!! Laughing

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Otay...

— Colin Chapman
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
MsTaboo wrote:
Abscate wrote:
That's not your weight
The camera is estimating the cost of your needed paint job

Abscate,
I notice you dropped out your vehicle type in your sig line. Why?

People complained to EB it was too long...now I have the shortest sig on Samba!
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I'm confused…how is Eurovan too long?

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
fxr wrote:
shagginwagon83 wrote:
When your headlights are on, are all turn signal lights suppose to be on also?

The front amber lights have dual filament bulbs - a low wattage sidelight and a higher wattage turn signal. So they will be on with the headlights on, but blink much brighter when the turn signal is activated.

The red rear sidelights are just that. In the rear light clusters, the amber turn signal and red rear lights have separate bulbs.

As far as turn signal in the tail lights - do they suppose to be on while the headlights are on? On one of my tail lights, the turn signal stays on (while the headlights are on) - the other is off - only on when turn signal is switched on

You have a wiring funny on the one that comes on with the headlight. Which is strange unless someone's been at the actual harness. It's time to get that trusty multimeter out!
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
dhaavers wrote:
^^^

Laughing Wink

- Dave

DO IT!!! Laughing

Please, no. There's nothing worse than overly-long (vertical-wise) forum signatures (thankfully, TS doesn't allow sig photos). While I'm not the who complained, why list every vehicle you've ever owned? Most people don't care about what you had 20, 30, 40 years ago; simply list the VW's you currently have. Anxious
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Oh No, now I have to edit down! Wink

Okay, I will... soon. Wink

— Colin Chapman
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
Abscate wrote:
MsTaboo wrote:
Abscate wrote:
That's not your weight
The camera is estimating the cost of your needed paint job

Abscate,
I notice you dropped out your vehicle type in your sig line. Why?

People complained to EB it was too long...now I have the shortest sig on Samba!

I'm confused…how is Eurovan too long?

Some of us list our vehicles, provide links to information about them, have a witty saying or two posted, etc. it identifys us as a user to most readers. Not unlike avatar photos quickly make a poster ID, my unique Avatar picture identifies who I am, you see the VW head, you skip over it. Laughing Cool

Some of these signatures can get lengthy.
This apparently bothers someone who has been reporting what he / she considers long signature lines to Everett Barnes (EB) the site owner.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
djkeev wrote:
dhaavers wrote:
^^^

Laughing Wink

- Dave

DO IT!!! Laughing

Please, no. There's nothing worse than overly-long (vertical-wise) forum signatures (thankfully, TS doesn't allow sig photos). While I'm not the who complained, why list every vehicle you've ever owned? Most people don't care about what you had 20, 30, 40 years ago; simply list the VW's you currently have. Anxious

I for one feel differently, it is nice to know that someone has a long VW history of Beetles, squarebacks, type 2’s etc.

It shows that the member is no "Johnny come lately" and most likely knows his / her way around under a bonnet.

I've had over two dozen VW's since the 1960's, would you like me to add them? Laughing

Joking aside, post what info is needed, don't go purposely pissing people off for sport.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I for one feel differently, it is nice to know that someone has a long VW history of Beetles, squarebacks, type 2’s etc.

It shows that the member is no "Johnny come lately" and most likely knows his / her way around under a bonnet.

Just establish your qualification(s) in your post(s). I removed my Jetta when the GTI replaced it. Now, if helping someone, I simply say, if need be, "I owned a VR6 Jetta for 17 years, from new."

djkeev wrote:

Some of us list our vehicles, provide links to information about them, have a witty saying or two posted, etc. it identifys us as a user to most readers. Not unlike avatar photos quickly make a poster ID, my unique Avatar picture identifies who I am, you see the VW head, you skip over it. Laughing Cool

Now, see, you could put your Beetle back in if you re-worked your sig a smidge:

Vanagon Westy "Weekender" 2.1 Auto
Karmann Ghia

Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

DJ, hope I haven't done that with my new, improved, ultra-informative sig.

I'll edit it soon, but Indianapolis Motor Speedway beckons. Funnily enough, I had to keep editing down a few times for getting "Signature too long, Yutz!!!" messages...

(I made up the "Yutz" thingie)

By the way, Kam, the Einstein quote is both brilliant and haunting, I've been saying similarly since buying my VW power-like Mac Plus in 1988... this is NOT an admission of intelligence.

Annnnnd... I can't imagine *anyone* thinking you were the complaintant.

— Colin Chapman
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

What is the furthest/longest you can drive on a washboard road before you fry your stock shocks?

How long should shocks last?

What is the tell tale sign you need new shocks?
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

llilibel03 wrote:
What is the furthest/longest you can drive on a washboard road before you fry your stock shocks?

Well, our 30 miles of dirt roads have toasted my Safari's shocks pretty much annually.... but, they are stock econo shocks. I've heard the high end Fox shocks do well on extended washboards. Good in depth GoWesty article here - http://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=177

llilibel03 wrote:

I've been in shock since November. You tell me Smile

llilibel03 wrote:

Hurts to pee. Not kidding Smile
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
^^^

Laughing Wink

- Dave

You might be my kindred youngest child spirit,,,, Very Happy

Kaz...I'm waaaaaay past the age where I have to prove myself to others. Last week, I was doing non-destructive testing on a ship that goes under water. My brain has hemmoraged most of its facts due to over filling of partner -supplied Shakira videos, so I compensate by surrounding myself with smart people who owe me favors.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Funny "story"...

In the process of editing my signature, I just now noticed:

Quote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So...WTH...why not direct the member in question to opt out & we could all just get on with our lives...???

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

That signature's so good I want your autograph. Laughing

— Colin Chapman
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Funny "story"...

Quote:

So...WTH...why not direct the member in question to opt out & we could all just get on with our lives...???

- Dave

You mean…there's a measure of personal responsibility in this? You can choose what to see or choose to be vexed by it? Think

If I rolled my eyes any further they might come out my ears…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
. . .

You mean…there's a measure of personal responsibility in this? You can choose what to see or choose to be vexed by it? Think

If I rolled my eyes any further they might come out my ears…

Arrow Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Shocked
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Funny "story"...

Quote:

- Dave

This makes sense except for maybe they don't want to ignore everyone's signature.

Having some huge vertical signature causes more work for everyone via scrolling and makes Forum topics more difficult to read.
As you go about your daily life, it's important to think about how you are affecting others.
You should be making the world better whenever possible, even if it's something that seems inconsequential.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Alaskaberrys wrote:
llilibel03 wrote:

Well, our 30 miles of dirt roads have toasted my Safari's shocks pretty much annually.... but, they are stock econo shocks. I've heard the high end Fox shocks do well on extended washboards. Good in depth GoWesty article here - http://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=177

llilibel03 wrote:

I've been in shock since November. You tell me Smile

llilibel03 wrote:

Hurts to pee. Not kidding Smile

Too much humor in this thread. Laughing take note of my new signature.

I lived in Sierra Leone, in West Africa, for three years where the good roads are washboards and I remember driving for hours at a time on washboard roads. I don't remember hearing about shocks giving up the ghost. Of course I was not tasked with maintaining the vehicles I drove. I do remember that Land Rovers (defenders?) were definitely the most comfortable ride ( Head room is a must! Tell that to Toyota 4wd owners...I can't count how many times I bounced my head on the ceiling of Toyotas). Maybe the Land Rovers had special shocks for off road? I also remember a Peugeot 504(?) that was especially cushy over the washboards, lulling the driver into high speeds, until an especially big hole presented itself and the car parted ways with its muffler. It then sounded like a Harley on steroids and lost all its comfy appeal.

But back to my question- would 10-15 miles (driving for an hour) kill shocks?

Last edited by llilibel03 on Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:50 am; edited 7 times in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 193

Jump to: