Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official lazy person's stupid question thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 114, 115, 116 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

NorthOf50 wrote:
here's my lazy question:

why can you not take a pop-top off a donor van and just cut the rough opening into the top of a tin-top to make the tin-top pop-top? Is there something about the Westy roof that requires the transplant, etc? I know I "must" be missing something but is it not just this simple.

The tin top has cross braces in the roof and curved convex tin on top.

The camper has the cross brace and no curved tin. There is a flat plywood board that spans the space from the cross brace to the rear.

I can only guess (I'm not certain) that the cross brace probably has a flat design as well.

People transplant pop tops on to tintops and use the curved roof but they loose head space and the hinge mount areas need some reinforcement installed.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I'll jump in here since I have many stupid questions. I've read all the climate control threads, or a lot of them anyway. What's this control without a knob for? It's on my 89 German Syncro Doka. Edited to add I know it's labeled as Secondary Heat Exchanger in the Bentley.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abd here are the levers. I know how they work. Perhaps someone interested in seeing 3 levers and not 4.

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Do Dokas have a rear heater under the rear bench? Pull the knob straight out of the other one and put it in the missing one and see what it turns on.
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Do Dokas have a rear heater under the rear bench? Pull the knob straight out of the other one and put it in the missing one and see what it turns on.

Dooh! That would be logical, wouldn't it. Seeing the condition of the dash wiring I have doubts. The dash is coming off next week to do some work and I wanted to see what is actually should do.I'll give it a shot. Nothing under the rear bench.
holdthewind2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

4gears is correct, it controls the rear cabin heater.
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

holdthewind2 wrote:

Nothing to control in the rear of this Doka. Strange. Perhaps they just use the same dash for everything.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

jAndrew wrote:
holdthewind2 wrote:

Nothing to control in the rear of this Doka. Strange. Perhaps they just use the same dash for everything.

Or the rear heater was removed when it started leaking coolant as in many if not most vans.
holdthewind2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

May it has been removed... or just the same dash for all dokas... I'm unsure... it controls the rear heater in my doka, my dog loves having a fully heated bench seat in the winter Wink
WillRB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Stupid question. Are vanagon CV axle directional? Does it matter what side is towards wheel or transmission? 2WD Manual transmission. Thanks..
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

WillRB wrote:
Stupid question. Are vanagon CV axle directional? Does it matter what side is towards wheel or transmission? 2WD Manual transmission. Thanks..

No, and they are identical on a manual transmission

If you want to try to evenly wear them, swap the entire axle plus cv joints side to side, driver side to passenger side.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

jAndrew wrote:

Abd here are the levers. I know how they work. Perhaps someone interested in seeing 3 levers and not 4.

I'll jump in with a stupid question: does this mean that VW eliminated the bottom (fourth) lever but did not delete the (blue) graphic for the bottom lever in dokas? Or did someone just remove the bottom lever handle from this particular doka?

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Picture of my 3 Lever Air Control Panel
VW # on back is: 251 919 383 L

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Picture of my 3 Lever Air Control Panel
VW # on back is: 251 919 383 L

Okay. All is right with the world again. I understand mfrs. building cars from the parts bins but a three lever control with a four lever dash panel disrupted my peaceful evening.

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Oil capacity of the DK transmission is 3.5 Liters (3.7 Quarts).

So, with the transmission mounted and the Van on a level surface, where is the level of the oil in the transmission in relation to the fill hole?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Just below the fill hole--finger test.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

Okay. All is right with the world again. I understand mfrs. building cars from the parts bins but a three lever control with a four lever dash panel disrupted my peaceful evening.

I know it really messes with the mind!

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
jimf909 wrote:

I have owned my '91 for almost 30 years now and still have to put mental effort into figuring what I need to do to make the various heater functions work correctly.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Steve M. wrote:
jimf909 wrote:

I have owned my '91 for almost 30 years now and still have to put mental effort into figuring what I need to do to make the various heater functions work correctly.

At least VW provides a cheat sheet for defrost: all the levers to the right, fan on 2 (shown just above the fan speed switch). It's off to the owners manual after that.

Abscate wrote:

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Not really that hard

Top - Defrost - Right full on
Second - temperature - Right Hot, Left Cold
Third -front Cabin Floor - Right Off, Left full On
Fourth - rear passenger ventilation, passes through the crash beam and doors to B pillar. - Right Off, Left Full on.

When I modified my heater box I repurposed the fourth lever to control my added cabin air recirculation abandoning the rear ventilation feature.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

At least VW provides a cheat sheet for defrost: all the levers to the right, fan on 2 (shown just above the fan speed switch). It's off to the owners manual after that.

Oh... is that how that barcode works. Laughing
Cudos to you, not many people realize what that is!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 114, 115, 116 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Page 115 of 193

Jump to: