Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official lazy person's stupid question thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 115, 116, 117 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I think that might be a DOT requirement that the operating mode for defrost be depicted or ‘single button ‘ accessible, as it reflects on a safety issue
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Q of Reply with quote

I've seen a ton of posts where people are confused about the heater/air controls. I remember one in which the person suggested you needed an advance degree in gaseous flow engineering and an IQ of at least 5000.

I never found it that hard. Move the top leaver, feel around and discover the difference of air coming out the windshield defroster vents. Move the next one and feel the temperature difference. Move the third and discover the difference coming out into the footwell area, Move the last which will take a bit of discovery and finally feel the difference of air coming out the vents in the back. Still after 8ish T3s am uncertain about the vents to the right and left on the vertical face of the dash, but they don't seem to be of major significance to me and they do have a shut of right at the vents if I don't want them. Just haven't had the need to bother to analyze how they are fed. Note the mod for the PS. The delivery tube is gone to give more interior space, but since the area is sealed, the air manages to come out the new grill anyway. Close enough.

And by the way, what does a wedge imply? More where it is thicker? And how many have seen blue dots and red dots denoting/connoting hot and cold--water faucets for example??? The fresh air lever might take a bit longer, but Hello? My IQ is certainly a long, long way from putting an electric vehicle on Mars, but as my three year old grandson says, "I figured it out all by myself!!"

When in doubt, patience and curiosity will solve almost anything.

Duncan
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Just us old folk haven't any problems with colored dots and colored wedges I guess.
Never had fancy vacuum or electric servos to move flaps or even one cable controlling two flaps, opening one while closing the other.

Heck, my first car didn't even have a fully synchronized transmission!

Still alive!

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Just us old folk haven't any problems with colored dots and colored wedges I guess.
Never had fancy vacuum or electric servos to move flaps or even one cable controlling two flaps, opening one while closing the other.

Heck, my first car didn't even have a fully synchronized transmission!

Still alive!
You've made me realise that it took me seven cars to have a syncronizer on first gear, though one of them was an automatic!

We found the Vanagon heater levers quite intuitive and easy to use from day one.

Of course, having grown up in England in cars from the twenties and thirties, I'm thrilled to have heat in the car, period! Shocked Cool
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

We just have this glued to the dash:

DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
jimf909 wrote:

At least VW provides a cheat sheet for defrost: all the levers to the right, fan on 2 (shown just above the fan speed switch). It's off to the owners manual after that.

[Pic]

Oh... is that how that barcode works. Laughing
Cudos to you, not many people realize what that is!

fxr--Seems like you fixed something that didn't need fixing. The "bar code" gives all the info you need. If you move all the levers to the right for defrosting, that obviously means the following. Max heat, max air to the windshield, no air to the footwells nor the back. Then look to the levers. The top one has a defrost symbol so we know which lever does that. The next one has red and blue dots, so we know it is temp. The third one has a down triangle indicating the air goes down--maybe to the footwells? The bottom one shows a vent symbol and is blue, so it's not heat and therefore has to be the rear vents.

Do you loan out your car to lots of others who need to know this?

Maybe this is too TK. If so, no intended disrespect. Anyone who owns a T3 needs all the respect they can get.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:

fxr--Seems like you fixed something that didn't need fixing. The "bar code" gives all the info you need. If you move all the levers to the right for defrosting, that obviously means the following. Max heat, max air to the windshield, no air to the footwells nor the back. Then look to the levers. The top one has a defrost symbol so we know which lever does that. The next one has red and blue dots, so we know it is temp. The third one has a down triangle indicating the air goes down--maybe to the footwells? The bottom one shows a vent symbol and is blue, so it's not heat and therefore has to be the rear vents.

Do you loan out your car to lots of others who need to know this?

Maybe this is too TK. If so, no intended disrespect. Anyone who owns a T3 needs all the respect they can get.

Heh. Smile It makes it easy for Mrs fxr to take charge of the climate controls while in the passenger seat. I'm sure several other Van owners have the same requirement. Wink
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:

fxr--Seems like you fixed something that didn't need fixing.

What was fixed? It's nothing more than an informative decal. Rolling Eyes
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

fxr wrote:

I typed this ↓↓↓ up back in 2014, now GoWesty sells that ↑↑↑ sticker for $5 a piece... <shrug>

- Dave

PS/Pro Tip: Print it yourself & save your money... Wink

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Haha, when I was driving home with Sinka for the first time, the temps were dropping into the 20s (subzero for you Centigrade boys and girls). After visiting friends that lived 45 minutes from the seller's house, we traveled about an hour before my wife and daughter (who were in TiggeR that got us the the seller's house) wanted to stop for dinner.

While they were in a formidable Chick-fil-A line for who knows how long, I was finally able to look at the controls as they don't illuminate with the headlights on like the dash. That's when I had my, "That's right ... these are different than on most cars." Instead of one control dictating air flow direction, there were two. And max/min were in opposite directions of each other.

When my family returned, they saw the concentration on my face and asked if there was anything wrong. I said NO but I was cramming for the drive home because I can't see the controls in the dark.

My wife took one glance, and said, "Oh it's just like Vanagon except it has one less control."

We sold Vanagon in '98; I didn't remember the setup. The kicker is my wife is worried about her memory since brain surgery. Laughing
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:

- Dave

You've nearly broken the code, this is how some people see it...

W
T
F
?

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:

Oh... is that how that barcode works. Laughing
Cudos to you, not many people realize what that is!

After 20 years some things finally click.

Abscate wrote:
I think that might be a DOT requirement that the operating mode for defrost be depicted or ‘single button ‘ accessible, as it reflects on a safety issue

If that's an acceptable safety code for DOT then this should be a WRONG WAY sign...

DuncanS wrote:
I've seen a ton of posts where people are confused about the heater/air controls. I remember one in which the person suggested you needed an advance degree in gaseous flow engineering and an IQ of at least 5000.

I never found it that hard...

Duncan, you're right, those posters have it all wrong. It's definitely not an IQ test. But what it is is a memory test, every fall I get in the van and can't possibly remember how to warm my feet and clear the windshield. Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

And by the way, does any air actually get to the rear vents? Not exactly a straight shot. All the twisting and turning to get to the doors and then two 90's at the B pillar plus side discharges? And if the door rubber grommet seal is compromised? I never really bother with the back vents. On in summer, off in winter and never partway along the two positions. in the summer the tent wings opened past 90 to scoop in air does a god job. This spring I'm going to put in a spare electric PS window in the left rear. That should provide all the aft vent needed. With Orly Blue on a hot summer day, what are those vents actually going to accomplish? I've seen interior temps of 140º on a hot sunny summer day. A couple of square inches of ambient 100º air from outside. Good luck.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
And by the way, does any air actually get to the rear vents? Not exactly a straight shot. All the twisting and turning to get to the doors and then two 90's at the B pillar plus side discharges? And if the door rubber grommet seal is compromised? I never really bother with the back vents. On in summer, off in winter and never partway along the two positions. in the summer the tent wings opened past 90 to scoop in air does a god job. This spring I'm going to put in a spare electric PS window in the left rear. That should provide all the aft vent needed. With Orly Blue on a hot summer day, what are those vents actually going to accomplish? I've seen interior temps of 140º on a hot sunny summer day. A couple of square inches of ambient 100º air from outside. Good luck.

Opening the rear vent takes some of the pressure off the heater box so it doesn't whistle. What more could you ask for?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

If that's an acceptable safety code for DOT then this should be a WRONG WAY sign...

I never found it that hard...

“ two birds eating a can if Bush beans are better than one pooping in your hand asking as you change your fuel lines”
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
fxr wrote:

I typed this ↓↓↓ up back in 2014, now GoWesty sells that ↑↑↑ sticker for $5 a piece... <shrug>

- Dave

I took my template direct from your original posting! Smile I'm wondering who can afford that $5 plus the $8 shipping (!!!) when it's a few cents to print out...
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

^^^ I know, right? Rolling Eyes

jimf909 wrote:
Quote:

You've nearly broken the code, this is how some people see it...

W
T
F
?

Laughing Laughing Laughing

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Looking to harness the power of this thread for some switches. I am on the hunt for a universal type surface mount switch. So far I've found single mount switches but would like to find a double(two switches in one housing). Anyone have a source for a double?

Here are examples of singles
https://www.amazon.com/button-switch-universal-driving-lights/dp/B07G17HWW8?ref_=ast_sto_dp

https://www.amazon.com/JIANFA-Switch-Rocker-Univer...J819EKPM2M
Blakesinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Doing some vacuum line checking/cleaning and found this one is unplugged. The line coming from the bottom of the vacuum shut off valve goes nowhere, and the t connector it’s supposed to connect to by the aux air regulator has a small hose with metal blocker.

Whyyyy would this be? I feel like I’m undoing so much weird stuff the OP had done to the van, is this one of them? Or should I leave it like this for some reason?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Who knows why things aren't the way they are supposed to be. Your hoses look like they are ancient and should be replaced, while if you need a AAR if you can't find the right one they are somewhat generic between makes and models.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 115, 116, 117 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Page 116 of 193

Jump to: