Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official lazy person's stupid question thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 121, 122, 123 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
that may be the RADIATOR fan resistor (is/was your van a diesel?)
iirc the dash fan resistor is inside the heater box housing.
and it's easy enough to access so you can change it when it fails.

I get it now, thanks. It's always been a 2.1 gas.
howler9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a gradual tint for the few top inches of the windshield? I am able to do 6 inches by law but I don't want a distinct line at the bottom.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

howler9 wrote:
Does anyone know of a gradual tint for the few top inches of the windshield? I am able to do 6 inches by law but I don't want a distinct line at the bottom.

Ask the local window tint shop.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
joyfulpursuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

My 87 vanagon's rear VOLKSWAGEN and VANAGON GL emblems were removed by the previous owner and the pins broke off in the process. They're otherwise in pretty decent shape. Has anyone ever fixed their broken tab emblems to refit them back on their van or should I just chalk up the $60-100 to get two new emblems?
that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life - John 3:16
🚐 1987 Westy, EJ22 small car conversion
🚗 1991 e30 325i Sport MTech II coupe
📸 instagram.com/joyfilledpursuit
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

3M double sided sticky tape might be what you want..
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

OK ...... I'll play.
It would be easy to run out to the Van and find out, but isn't lazy the heart of this thread? ...... on the fuse panel, as mounted, is the fuse protecting the circuit above the fuse or below the fuse?

If the fuse blows, what part is still hot? Top or bottom?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
OK ...... I'll play.
It would be easy to run out to the Van and find out, but isn't lazy the heart of this thread? ...... on the fuse panel, as mounted, is the fuse protecting the circuit above the fuse or below the fuse?

If the fuse blows, what part is still hot? Top or bottom?

Dave

Not sure if there's a straight answer. All I know is fuse number 3, the hot is on the upper side for some years, and on the lower side for other years.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a NA vendor for the TDI input shafts used with the DMF.

I'm setting up a killer AHU setup for a friend's Syncro hightop and want to be sure to help preserve his trans.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Does anyone know of a NA vendor for the TDI input shafts used with the DMF.

I'm setting up a killer AHU setup for a friend's Syncro hightop and want to be sure to help preserve his trans.

I don't think there is one. Shipping from Brickwerks is quick though. Just as fast as the NA vendors.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll check them out.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Neil Davies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

OK, I've used the search on this thread and I can't see anything about it, but I think some might consider it a stupid question, and I am looking for a lazy way out...

Fuel tank expansions - how necessary are they? I've got to replace the cab step in the next couple of weeks, and I don't fancy welding around the filler neck and right hand expansion tank, so I think I'll take the opportunity to go through the fuel system too.
I found a schematic diagram on another thread showing the layout of the various hoses, but it got me thinking - rather than all the various pipes going to the two tanks, surely a simple loop (in a bigger diameter) from side to side would suffice?
'86 Scirocco special project - still measuring up...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Neil Davies wrote:
OK, I've used the search on this thread and I can't see anything about it, but I think some might consider it a stupid question, and I am looking for a lazy way out...

Fuel tank expansions - how necessary are they? I've got to replace the cab step in the next couple of weeks, and I don't fancy welding around the filler neck and right hand expansion tank, so I think I'll take the opportunity to go through the fuel system too.
I found a schematic diagram on another thread showing the layout of the various hoses, but it got me thinking - rather than all the various pipes going to the two tanks, surely a simple loop (in a bigger diameter) from side to side would suffice?

Fuel expands about 1% per 10C so on a big swing day that’s almost 1/2 a liter of expansion. Remember the fuel get s warmed passing through the injection system and returning to the tank, too. You also need room for sloshing and free space on an incline and curves as well.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Neil Davies wrote:

In summary, it is a complicated "mess" to remove and re-install the fuel tank on a Vanagon. And, trust me, I've had more than my share of experience.

First off, the two expansion tanks (evaporation collectors), should be left in place unless you know they are damaged due to age, etc. Just disconnect the vent hoses on top of the fuel tank and plug them for the time being. And, they should be replaced as they are likely dry rotted.

There is a rather large cross-off pipe and four smaller vent hoses if I remember correctly. These hoses move trapped air out when filling up. Those hoses are only accessible by reaching over top of the two front wheels. In fact, it is best that the Van be placed on Jack Stands and remove the tires. Also, there are three rubber grommets (all same size) that will likely need to be replaced. Two of the grommets involve the cross-over vent pipe and one is for the vent pipe that's part of the filler neck. Prying the larger vent hoses out of the grommets can be a challenge. Going back, I lube the grommets with Vaseline or something similar as pushing the pipes back in place is also a challenge.

Tip: Take your Van to a car wash and pressure wash all the road debris out a day or two before commencing the work. Getting rid of all the dust and crud makes for a much better work process. I use a motorcycle jack to lower and raise the gas tank.

Hope this helps!
Neil Davies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Cheers guys. I'm lucky in that I have the bus in my classroom at school, up on my 4000kg 2-post lift, so I can get around it pretty well. I'll do the inner sill and rear arch,and the students can do the front arch! The tank has been in there since 1980, so I expect everything to be rather tired, and I don't want to have them cutting and welding around the expansion tank, so its got to come out, and again, at over 40 years old I don't hold out great hopes for its condition.
Looking at the diagram some more, I'm thinking that the bigger link pipe between the humps at the front needs to stay for venting the left hand side while filling into the right, but the rear vent tubes and the two small vents from the front could all be connected together to allow fuel vapour to move around in loops, eliminating the expansion tanks. Fit a breather in the top of the filler neck to atmosphere (with a rollover loop like a race car) and it allows for that expansion?
'86 Scirocco special project - still measuring up...
MajorPIle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I'm considering buying a 1990 Vanagon that will need a new engine. I plan on putting in the Subaru ej22 since I'm in California, but I'm wondering how easy it is to still find those engines? Will I have any trouble getting one?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

MajorPIle wrote:
I'm considering buying a 1990 Vanagon that will need a new engine. I plan on putting in the Subaru ej22 since I'm in California, but I'm wondering how easy it is to still find those engines? Will I have any trouble getting one?

They are 30 years old now so finding one that isn't plumb worn out may be a problem. Don't know what is available new as a factory replacement.
howler9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

My passenger swivel seat has a harder time, well, swiveling than the driver seat. Is it just a matter of adding some WD-40? Maybe cleaning it up? Just want to get a second opinion, many thanks!
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

MajorPIle wrote:

SmallCar may have good information for you. They used to list available rebuilt engines but I'm not seeing any now.

https://smallcar.com/vanagon-2.2-and-2.5-conversions/

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

howler9 wrote:
My passenger swivel seat has a harder time, well, swiveling than the driver seat. Is it just a matter of adding some WD-40? Maybe cleaning it up? Just want to get a second opinion, many thanks!

WD-40 isn't a lubricant. PB Blaster is a pretty ok lubricant for things that are really stuck and need to unstick and then keep sliding. But if it looks mostly clean, or you take it apart and clean, I would recommend white lithium grease or silicone grease. Liquid Wrench has a white lithium grease and a silicone spray that I think has good results.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
howler9 wrote:

WD-40 isn't a lubricant. PB Blaster is a pretty ok lubricant for things that are really stuck and need to unstick and then keep sliding. But if it looks mostly clean, or you take it apart and clean, I would recommend white lithium grease or silicone grease. Liquid Wrench has a white lithium grease and a silicone spray that I think has good results.

PB blaster makes a spray silicone I have had good results with in multiple applications, just another option that is more appropriate than WD-40.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 121, 122, 123 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Page 122 of 193

Jump to: