Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official lazy person's stupid question thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 122, 123, 124 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
WD-40 isn't a lubricant.

WD40 makes a pretty good cleaner while acting as a mediocre lubricant. So for something like as a swivel seat which is apt not to be functioning well as much due to a buildup of dirt as a lack of lube may respond well to WD40 or at least using WD40 prior to adding some other lubricant. WD40 products also have the best can design on the market IMO, so I use them much more than I used to.

Last edited by Wildthings on Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I'm that way with PB Blaster. I really enjoy the accuracy and pressure so I end up using it a lot more than I should or in cases where it's not optimal. Hitting a bolt from 3 feet away while you're upside down is very satisfying!
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

MajorPIle wrote:
I'm considering buying a 1990 Vanagon that will need a new engine. I plan on putting in the Subaru ej22 since I'm in California, but I'm wondering how easy it is to still find those engines? Will I have any trouble getting one?

Samba classifieds:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...rds=subaru

Good info here:
https://www.busaru.com/

Quite happy w/ my SmallCar conversion and support.

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

howler9 wrote:
My passenger swivel seat has a harder time, well, swiveling than the driver seat. Is it just a matter of adding some WD-40? Maybe cleaning it up? Just want to get a second opinion, many thanks!

Absolutely clean it up, but rather than grease or lube, don't discount the long-term benefits of UHMW tape in this application:

https://smile.amazon.com/TapeCase-423-5-UHMW-Tape-...3&th=1
- slippery as he!! (sticks like it, too)...
- never dries out...
- never attracts dirt/grit...
- it'll be a LONG time before you need to reapply (if ever)...
- keeps you smiling the whole time...

Cool

- Dave

PS: While you're there, works great on the slider tracks, too! 👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
I'm that way with PB Blaster. I really enjoy the accuracy and pressure so I end up using it a lot more than I should or in cases where it's not optimal. Hitting a bolt from 3 feet away while you're upside down is very satisfying!

At 70 any stream is welcome , to hades with accuracy
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
4Gears4Tires wrote:

At 70 any stream is welcome , to hades with accuracy

Is that a lubricant? Laughing Laughing Laughing

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
66Slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Can anyone help decode a vin please?

Thanks 🙏
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

66Slow wrote:

Thanks 🙏

Try this:
http://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=110

howler9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:

Absolutely clean it up, but rather than grease or lube, don't discount the long-term benefits of UHMW tape in this application:

That does look promising! Does it swivel even better than lube? Is there any guide on cleaning and taping the swivel seats out there?
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

howler9 wrote:
My passenger swivel seat has a harder time, well, swiveling than the driver seat. Is it just a matter of adding some WD-40? Maybe cleaning it up? Just want to get a second opinion, many thanks!

Conduct routine cleaning/re-lube as needed, but usually a hard-turning swivel is the result of the 4 mounting nuts being tightened too much. Back the nuts off a little at a time, trying to swivel the base after each loosening attempt. When it swivels without much resistance, reinstall the seat.

66Slow wrote:

Thanks 🙏

That's not a Vanagon VIN.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

howler9 wrote:
dhaavers wrote:

That does look promising! Does it swivel even better than lube? Is there any guide on cleaning and taping the swivel seats out there?

Oil based lubes tend to attract dust and other grime. They may work well at first but with time end up thickly caked with crud.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I just installed two 100w Newpowa panels on the roof*, with a Renogy Rover Elite 40amp MPPT controller. The input voltage is around 17.5v, but the house battery is being maintained at around 11.5v. I'm currently running a 130L 12v/120v Truckfridge, but it was exhibiting this same behavior prior to the fridge install. Prior to the solar install, I had never seen the house battery drop below 12.1v

The Renogy manual is not much help, and I'm a total noob to the solar hive mind.

Li'l help?

*I also installed an external input port in the side of the van for a third 100w panel, but nothing changes.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I just installed two 100w Newpowa panels on the roof*, with a Renogy Rover Elite 40amp MPPT controller. The input voltage is around 17.5v, but the house battery is being maintained at around 11.5v. I'm currently running a 130L 12v/120v Truckfridge, but it was exhibiting this same behavior prior to the fridge install. Prior to the solar install, I had never seen the house battery drop below 12.1v

The Renogy manual is not much help, and I'm a total noob to the solar hive mind.

Li'l help?

*I also installed an external input port in the side of the van for a third 100w panel, but nothing changes.

This is what I'd start with:

- ensure controller is set up to work with your battery type. e.g. SLA

- clean and/or improve grounds.

- check battery condition, fluid levels.

- in full sun, compare voltage at MPPT controller to voltage at battery. e.g. is fuse between controller and battery ok?

- compare voltage at battery when using panels vs a lower amp output battery charger.

This is a rough estimate but in full sun, battery charged up, even one 100 Watt panel should keep up with demands of the truck fridge, if that's the only load.

I had a quick look at the manual. It appears to be well written but then werds are not my strong suite. Wink

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

When I was rotating the engine over by hand I noticed I hit a point and it went "clunk". The engine has good tension so it would spring back a bit and I could hit it again and again and it would go clunk clunk clunk. I did notice that this point moved forward as I rocked the engine back and forth.

Borked motor? Misadjusted valves?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
When I was rotating the engine over by hand I noticed I hit a point and it went "clunk". The engine has good tension so it would spring back a bit and I could hit it again and again and it would go clunk clunk clunk. I did notice that this point moved forward as I rocked the engine back and forth.

What engine are you talking about here? Has it been sitting for a long while?
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Also, around and around in the same direction might only be finding out half of the issue.. Try rotating it something like a clock at 10 to 2 and then back to 10, etc.. Does it clunk when you change directions?

But, as I read back, maybe that is what you meant by rocking it back and forth... If you are literally rocking the engine, is it loose on its bolts,studs to the transmission, or how about the rubber engine mounts in the mustache bar?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

Li'l help?

This is what I'd start with:

- ensure controller is set up to work with your battery type. e.g. SLA

- clean and/or improve grounds.

- check battery condition, fluid levels.

- in full sun, compare voltage at MPPT controller to voltage at battery. e.g. is fuse between controller and battery ok?

- compare voltage at battery when using panels vs a lower amp output battery charger.

This is a rough estimate but in full sun, battery charged up, even one 100 Watt panel should keep up with demands of the truck fridge, if that's the only load.

I had a quick look at the manual. It appears to be well written but then werds are not my strong suite. Wink

Neil.

Thanks Neil, I've done all you listed, except load test the battery. It's a high quality 80ah AGM/SLA which is only a couple years old. I have a separate gauge and it's also showing the same battery voltage as the Renogy. Like I said before, this low battery issue was happening before I installed the fridge, so it doesn't seem to be load contingent. The fridge has been running non-stop for a couple days. It seems like the controller is choking voltage down to just below 12v despite the consistent 17v input from the panels. I sure wish this thing had an adjustable minimum voltage feature.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
What engine are you talking about here? Has it been sitting for a long while?

1.9l wbx. It sat for a day. That said, after 15 seconds of running to move it into my garage I couldn't reproduce the issue. The engine is prone to some clacky valves when cold.

bobbyblack wrote:
Also, around and around in the same direction might only be finding out half of the issue.. Try rotating it something like a clock at 10 to 2 and then back to 10, etc.. Does it clunk when you change directions?

But, as I read back, maybe that is what you meant by rocking it back and forth... If you are literally rocking the engine, is it loose on its bolts,studs to the transmission, or how about the rubber engine mounts in the mustache bar?

2 of my engine mounts are really worn. I ordered 2 when I started the tear down however long ago not realizing there are 4. The GW order that just arrived finally had the other 2, hah. If it's this, it will get changed soon.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:

Take your distributor cap off so you can see which cylinder in making the "clunk".

Do you feel any compression?

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Oh that's a good idea. I'll do that tomorrow and see if I can reproduce it. Removing the cap doesn't change the timing, does it?

There is a lot of compression. It is not an easy motor to rotate. It really pushes back if you don't get it past the cylinder TDC.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 122, 123, 124 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Page 123 of 193

Jump to: