Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official lazy person's stupid question thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 123, 124, 125 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Oh that's a good idea. I'll do that tomorrow and see if I can reproduce it. Removing the cap doesn't change the timing, does it?

There is a lot of compression. It is not an easy motor to rotate. It really pushes back if you don't get it past the cylinder TDC.

No, not at all. You just remember the 4 cylinder firing sew6uence, 1-4-3-2 & you can tell which piston is coming TDC by the position of the rotor.

Just the cap now, don't loosen the distributor.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
When I was rotating the engine over by hand I noticed I hit a point and it went "clunk". The engine has good tension so it would spring back a bit and I could hit it again and again and it would go clunk clunk clunk. I did notice that this point moved forward as I rocked the engine back and forth.

Borked motor? Misadjusted valves?

A common problem with Type 4 engines back in the day was that soot would build up on the pistons and cylinder heads and then fall off while the engine was sitting and this soot would prevent the piston from reaching TDC. This problem seems to have largely gone away with the advent of cleaner burning fuels.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

With the engine completely cold I was able to reproduce it.

Link

I think I am going to put it in the air this afternoon and take the valve covers off. It should be noted that it starts instantly and idles fine. Laughing The alligator clips are there to make sure the distributor had a good ground when adjusting it, just haven't removed them yet.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

How far will the engine turn in the other direction? Any chance your starter drive is staying engaged?
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
How far will the engine turn in the other direction? Any chance your starter drive is staying engaged?

Solved!

When I went to turn it the other way, I was really surprised to find the whole van pushing on my leg with every little turn. Turns out, it was just in gear and it's whatever CV joint/transaxle gear engagement slop is happening. I'm just really trying to embody the spirit of this thread.

Embarassed Laughing
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Solved!

When I went to turn it the other way, I was really surprised to find the whole van pushing on my leg with every little turn. Turns out, it was just in gear and it's whatever CV joint/transaxle gear engagement slop is happening. I'm just really trying to embody the spirit of this thread.

Embarassed Laughing

I love brutal honesty! !

I seem to remember a 90 that wouldn't start because it was out of gas! Laughing

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I just installed two 100w Newpowa panels on the roof*, with a Renogy Rover Elite 40amp MPPT controller. The input voltage is around 17.5v, but the house battery is being maintained at around 11.5v. I'm currently running a 130L 12v/120v Truckfridge, but it was exhibiting this same behavior prior to the fridge install. Prior to the solar install, I had never seen the house battery drop below 12.1v

The Renogy manual is not much help, and I'm a total noob to the solar hive mind.

Li'l help?

*I also installed an external input port in the side of the van for a third 100w panel, but nothing changes.

Turns out my nearly new AGM battery was just too weak. It's now charging properly with a replacement battery. All is well.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

'91 tintop 2WD--rebuilt WBX, Matt Steedle tranny 2K ago. Drove into the garage for work two days ago. Went to drive it out. In reverse, no problem, let in the clutch----nothing. No change in engine RPM, no fluid of the floor. WTH????????
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
'91 tintop 2WD--rebuilt WBX, Matt Steedle tranny 2K ago. Drove into the garage for work two days ago. Went to drive it out. In reverse, no problem, let in the clutch----nothing. No change in engine RPM, no fluid of the floor. WTH????????

Not sure what you are saying is happening. Sounds like it is going into gear, but when you let up on the pedal the clutch doesn't engage?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Shift couplers broken? Disengaged?

Reverse works but no forward gears?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Solved!

Embarassed Laughing

Slaps on both sides of head...front and back too! 🙄

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:

What work did you do on it?
What did you remove and put back on?

DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Work in the garage was left rear fixed window. Never went near the clutch. When I depress the pedal, it seems like there is hydraulic resistance more than just the pedal return spring. Gears shift into all 5 with clutch pedal down or up with no problem. The shift linkage moves the lever at the tranny, so no disconnect through the shifing mechanism. Thought it might be the master cylinder clevis pin dropping out which connects the pedal to the cylinder. Can't see it as it's way up behind the crash tube. Did find an old mud wasp nest a few inches away though. There were tons of them everywhere when I first bought it. Can't be the master connecting pin as this would mean the clutch is always in and the car would move it it were able to be put into gear. So somehow, the slave must be stuck in a disengaged position.

Has been driving just fine, but both cylinders are not new to me. Clutch pedal action has not changed nor felt different. Drove into the garage, and kaput. A mystery.

No warning. As Click and Clack said when a guy complained there was no warning: "What did you expect, a postcard?"

Duncan
bryanarchy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

In the spirit of owning one's own stupidity:

I was in the process of replacing the headlights two weeks ago and when the new ones were in place, I couldn't get them to light up. I deciphered how to read the electrical diagrams in the Bentley, followed every wire, tested everything, tried the old lights but nothing worked.

I struggled for a couple days, poking around at it. Finally, I opened the user manual to the dash console section and read "headlights will only work when ignition is on."

I took two deep breaths and was at peace with it all. Pretty happy about the new lights too!
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

bryanarchy wrote:
In the spirit of owning one's own stupidity:

I was in the process of replacing the headlights two weeks ago and when the new ones were in place, I couldn't get them to light up. I deciphered how to read the electrical diagrams in the Bentley, followed every wire, tested everything, tried the old lights but nothing worked.

I struggled for a couple days, poking around at it. Finally, I opened the user manual to the dash console section and read "headlights will only work when ignition is on."

I took two deep breaths and was at peace with it all. Pretty happy about the new lights too!

That sounds like something I would do. Thanks for the laugh and I'm glad you resolved it!

Reminds me of one of my favorite classic Samba threads:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

You could open the bleeder on the slave or crack the fitting in the clutch hydraulic line to see if that makes any difference, but if the piston in the slave is moving in and out.

If its not in the slave or master, it sounds like you are in for tranny pull and clutch inspection.
bryanarchy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:

That sounds like something I would do. Thanks for the laugh and I'm glad you resolved it!

Reminds me of one of my favorite classic Samba threads:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

By the looks of this thread, I can kiss my productivity goodbye this afternoon! Razz
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Luckily I can easily access the slave.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I want to rotate it 90º and rework the bracket anyway, so I guess this is the time to do it. Scared there is something internal, but I'll mess with the slave and see if I can tell something. I was hoping the third shift mechanics would fix the problem over night, but evidently they failed once again to show up when I needed them.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

there's a nice patina of rust over everything... if the splines on the input shaft are rusty, maybe it wedged when the thrust of the slave disengaged the clutch. try tapping on the clutch lever arm in the upward direction and see if you can gain any movement. but the key would be to have an observer watch the arm for movement. it doesn't move a lot but if it is moving back and forth your problems may be internal.

old BMW motorcycles have a similar dry clutch are notorious for wearing out the input shaft splines due to a lack of lubrication. on my van clutch re-do, i lubed the splines with a moly lube, not too much, re-bushed and lubed the cross shaft. my clutch pedal action is so light i thought it was disconnected at first.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Thank you, Dan. Luckily with the open viewing, I can get my wife to depress the pedal so I can see. I'll let you know.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 123, 124, 125 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Page 124 of 193

Jump to: