Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official lazy person's stupid question thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 127, 128, 129 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

^^if you're in Northern VA, you may be near Staunton. If so, give Keith/Complete Auto a ring, if they can't fix your leak directly they'll be able to point you to who can.

https://www.facebook.com/Complete-https://www.face...599722864/
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

My valve leaks only when I open and close it for a fill. Once it is fully open, no leak. Been that way forever. Maybe fully open yours against stop and retest for leaks.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

A lot of gas valves are designed to be run fully open and will seal better in that position.
PapaG73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Another officially lazy and unresearched person. I have owned my '89 Westy for almost 48 hours now...I use a Cpap machine and am trying to figure out how to power it while camping off grid. One source said they just plugged in their machine to the outlet and it was fine for several days in one place. Since I have never owned a vehicle that allows me to live in it with as much luxury as the Vanagon, I am totally clueless as to how the batteries work and are recharged...help. please.
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Here's a link to get you started:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc...=titleonly

Search with the fewest words and under ":Title Only". Simplicity helps.

Good Luck.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PapaG73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Thanks!
dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Do you know how many watts your Cpap draws? Does it have a power pack for plugging into AC? if so then it probably will run on DC if you have the right adapter.
This thread I started has an easy option if you can do DC or if the AC draw is low
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=751355&highlight=
howler9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Thank you all for the replies! Keith Complete Auto is unfortunately booked for months.

I was certain that I had the propane valve fully open before when it leaked but today it seemed fine. . . But the RV shop I brought it into also said it leaked but didn't have the valve to fix it. I know it's a manchester tank but does anyone know a source that sells the valve just in case the leak reappears?
Zephyr_shreds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
im a happy sailor in my 82 diesel:) help a happy sailor live another day, steering feels extremely dangerous and lose. I can lift up on that pole and it will clear those two bolts that guide the wheels to turn from the steering wheel. If it lifts up past those two bolts then my steering wheel will spin freely and imma die. Is there an overhaul kit for this. Maybe there’s more things wrong like it might need a new rack and pinion. Idk. This my only car. Have to work still. Part numbers, kits, and knowledge is very greatly appreciated. Please help me please
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

^^^ Zephyr...replace with this, immediately or sooner: Shocked

https://www.gowesty.com/product/steering/24495/steering-shaft-coupler-disc

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Zephyr_shreds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Thank you so much.. why does mine look to be tied together with string?
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Because it's about to fall apart. The string should be encased in a rubber disc, much like a tire. Do not drive the van until you replace the coupler.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

^^^ Indeed. Replacement is probably 20 years overdue... Evil or Very Mad

- Dave

Zephyr_shreds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Thankyou thankyou guys so much, what’s it mean if there’s a pop noise sometimes when I make u turns. Rack and pinion? Cv joint.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Start with replacing that coupler, if the pop noise persists, then start chasing that. First things first.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

^^^Also note, there's at least one more (if not two) of the same flexible coupler under the van,
probably not looking any better. Look for each of the red "7"s on the schematic:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

- Dave

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Do some research on these couplers before you purchase, I've read that some are so soft and squishy that they are possibly dangerous!

Good new parts can be hard to find today.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

PapaG73 wrote:
Another officially lazy and unresearched person. I have owned my '89 Westy for almost 48 hours now...I use a Cpap machine and am trying to figure out how to power it while camping off grid. One source said they just plugged in their machine to the outlet and it was fine for several days in one place. Since I have never owned a vehicle that allows me to live in it with as much luxury as the Vanagon, I am totally clueless as to how the batteries work and are recharged...help. please.

i rigged our van with 100 watts solar and a 200AH AGM battery to power a friend's CPAP we camped next to for a week. worked fine without any special care to park in sun. one tip is some CPAPs, the ResMed in this case, can supply a 12v DC to DC power supply. can't remember what the required voltage was but it was electrically more efficient to do this than run a 120v inverter.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

By default the 110 volt outlets are not connected to the batteries. Years ago I installed a charger inverter from Xantrex. This unit charged the batteries when a hookup was available. I rewired the 2 110 volt outlets to the Xantrex. When a hookup was not available, the inverter kicked in and supplied 110 to the outlets using battery reserve.

Without a hook up, you’ll need a way to replenish your battery. So driving or solar are the only easy options.

Just out of warranty my Xantrex died. During the time we found we had no use for it 110 volts. I’m surprised there is not a 12 volt cpap option. Seems there’d be a market.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

My wife's cpap has a 120 V cord and a 12V car plug option. It draws about 2 amps when running in the westy.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 127, 128, 129 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Page 128 of 193

Jump to: