Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official lazy person's stupid question thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 128, 129, 130 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

My bipap, Resmed, is 24vdc native. At home a power brick supplies the 24vdc. In the van a different brick converts to the 24vdc required. Because of the higher pressure setting mine draws nearly 48 watts when using a 12vdc source and only slightly less when connected to a 24vdc source. With my model a brick is always required regardless.
Just a FYI data point
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

You can get power out of bricks? I have a few thousand in my yard, how much power can I get? Shocked
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

They must be vintage. 18th century for 12vdc and 17th century for 110vac.. Metric voltages are different.
Powerbricks the big brother to wallwarts.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Since we're getting a bit crazy here--well ALL T3 owners are crazy at some level, I have to ask. If a brick can power a cpap, can my friend recharge his Tesla by plugging into a cement block, and if so, does anyone know where he get the adaptor?
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

"There is no adapter. Teslas receive the power through direct contact. Induction, if you like. To get a good connection, we recommend the application of said block from an elevation of at least a meter."

"Wait, elevation?"

"...of a meter or more, yes."
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Team WorldTour wrote:
"There is no adapter. Teslas receive the power through direct contact. Induction, if you like. To get a good connection, we recommend the application of said block from an elevation of at least a meter."

"Wait, elevation?"

"...of a meter or more, yes."
LOL! You're on fire this morning!! Laughing
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

An elevation for what? Dropping it on my brain to cure my T3 disease? A meter sound iffy, I'd go for at least 40".
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
A meter sound iffy, I'd go for at least 40".

And that is how we will get the first T3 to Mars!
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Turns out Syncros really can go everywhere and were already spotted on the surface of Mars.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Suspension Springs Paint?

I'm finally getting a new set, well new to me, and wonder if there is a special kind of paint that suspension springs require, as they are, well, springing.. ??
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I was curious and did a bit of internet searching. I found this. http://www.secondchancegarage.com/feature-articles/coil-springs-1.cfm I am also curious to know anyone's first hand experience.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

CPAP content:
For maybe a dozen year pre-van, the family used to rent a remote off-grid cabin for a week getaway every
summer. I'd run my Philips CPAP rig using the dedicated 12v cord ($30 option) and a used car battery...

At only ~2amp draw, I never got close to draining that sucker. Little to worry about here... Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

The power draw will be nearly independent of the voltage, 24 orv12 V. The current will vary of course.
howler9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Speaking of the shore power, how does one wire the shore chargers to the hookup?

Sorry for nother truly lazy question, how do I find the wire of the fridge 12v setup so I can wire to the aux battery's fuse block? Which fuse should I use?

VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

howler9 wrote:
Speaking of the shore power, how does one wire the shore chargers to the hookup?

Look under your sink, there's an outlet with your fridge plugged in. Plug the battery charger in there. Easy. Plus it's conveniently close to the driver's seat, where your aux battery probably is.
howler9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Thanks VicVan! How did I not see that? Brilliant.

For the fridge, I found the 12v is one of these red wires but I don't know which?? The other is for the display unit. I want to rewire this 12v wire to my aux battery fuse panel.

DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Something very strange going on here. Do the plugs shown in the photo plug together? If so, the red wire is going to connect to brown. THAT CAN NEVER HAPPPEN. Red is always 12v plus and brown always is ground--thus a direct short. Put your volt meter on these and see what's going on. Pull the fridge fuse and find out if the red wire goes to zero voltage. Both of the red wires are connected together at the plug so it doesn't matter which one is used to tap off.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

The red wire you're looking for goes to the small fusebox at the bottom of the driver's side B-pillar (in other words, on the wall between the driver's seat and the sink). There's two wires there, can't remember which is which.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Something very strange going on here. Do the plugs shown in the photo plug together? If so, the red wire is going to connect to brown. THAT CAN NEVER HAPPPEN. Red is always 12v plus and brown always is ground--thus a direct short.

Not true - that brown is the +ve feed to the thermostat that then feeds the cooling fan. The blue is the negative, the black is the +ve feed to the 12V heater via the switch (DC/AC/LP).
Quote:

Put your volt meter on these and see what's going on. Pull the fridge fuse and find out if the red wire goes to zero voltage. Both of the red wires are connected together at the plug so it doesn't matter which one is used to tap off.

fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

howler9 wrote:
Thanks VicVan! How did I not see that? Brilliant.

For the fridge, I found the 12v is one of these red wires but I don't know which?? The other is for the display unit. I want to rewire this 12v wire to my aux battery fuse panel.

The red wire that goes to the brown should be a permanent +12V - same as the sink pump/display panel feed. The red wire that goes to the black should be connected to the fridge relay, so only +12V when the engine is running. Each of those red wires go to their own fuse just behind the driver's seat. It's the feed to the sink (and display panel) that you want to add to the aux battery. Leave the thicker main fridge feed alone.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 128, 129, 130 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Page 129 of 193

Jump to: