Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official lazy person's stupid question thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 129, 130, 131 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

OK, so I'm wrong here. This can not possibly be a Wolfsburg wiring schedule. VW to my knowledge, nor DIN, has ever had a brown wire carry positive voltage to a load. If it were my car, I would change the wire colors or at the very least paint the first few inches of the brown red. It just can't be safe to have conflicted color coded circuits in the same vehicle.

So although I back down, I still maintain confusion as to how such a system could have come about.

Duncan
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
OK, so I'm wrong here. This can not possibly be a Wolfsburg wiring schedule. VW to my knowledge, nor DIN, has ever had a brown wire carry positive voltage to a load. If it were my car, I would change the wire colors or at the very least paint the first few inches of the brown red. It just can't be safe to have conflicted color coded circuits in the same vehicle.

So although I back down, I still maintain confusion as to how such a system could have come about.

Duncan

It is not at all unusual to find that colors don't match up when attaching the DIN factory harness to some accessory, be it a fan motor, fridge, stereo, or other.
howler9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:

Duncan

Woof, I got a scare there. And I have to say, I was also confused that they had such color changing wires here. The brown, blue, etc. wasn't even reflected in the Bentley.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

^^^ Not VW's fault...I blame the hacks at Westfalia... Rolling Eyes

Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Those who think 'brown is always ground' should take great care when encountering mains voltages in Europe...
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
^^^ Not VW's fault...I blame the hacks at Westfalia... Rolling Eyes

Wink

- Dave

In the case of the fridge, Dometic is to blame.
There's a diagram on top of the fridge with the color codes on it. This is on my Rm182B (1990 Westy with automatic piezo):
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Anyone with a ProMariner ProSport Dual Bank charger have it hooked up to only one battery? When I got this it was charging aux and starter battery (both lead acid) but thinking LiFePO for aux moving forward and wondering if I can use the lithium charge profile (20amp model) to keep aux battery charged, but assuming I don't want that charge profile on the starter battery, so thinking of simply disconnecting from starter (alternator does a pretty good job and might get a trickle charger for winter maintenance, but that's later)

can you run these with only one battery hooked up?
whafalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Will a golf or jetta steering wheel of the same era work for the vanagon?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

whafalia wrote:

Don't know, I've seen GTI ones used
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Lots of threads on this.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

whafalia wrote:

Yes.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
howler9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Thank you all with the help on the dometic fridge. One thing I realized it might eat up my lifepo4 100Ah battery. If the dometic takes 7 amps, would it be 12v x 7 amps = 84 Ah or is it just 7 Ah? I hope it is the latter. . . Shocked
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

howler9 wrote:
Thank you all with the help on the dometic fridge. One thing I realized it might eat up my lifepo4 100Ah battery. If the dometic takes 7 amps, would it be 12v x 7 amps = 84 Ah or is it just 7 Ah? I hope it is the latter. . . Shocked

In one hour it's be 7Ah, in 12 hours (nothing to do with volts) it'd be 84Ah sucked out of the battery. As you don't really want a LiFePO4 battery to be outside of 10% to 90% charged (so 80Ah available in your case), that 84Ah is more than your battery can give without excessively shortening its life.

Don't even bother to think about running the fridge on 12V power without the engine running. Your 100Ah system will be fine for lights and radio etc for a couple of days, and that's it.
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Can anybody provide a comparison of relative compression and rebound damping between OME, Bilstein (black) and Bilstein HD (yellow) Syncro shocks?
My inquiries have been inconclusive.

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blakesinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Is there any reason for a daisy chain of ground cables that are strung from the engine ground to the little stud/bolt next to the distributor, then to 2 of the stud/nuts on the base of the breather tower?

Is it possible the main ground location isn't "grounded enough"?

Is there an "Official WTF was the previous owner thinking" thread?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Blakesinclair wrote:
Is there an "Official WTF was the previous owner thinking" thread?

That covers about half of all the threads and posts on TheSamba. The other half being "WTF was Volkswagen thinking?" threads.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
howler9 wrote:

In one hour it's be 7Ah, in 12 hours (nothing to do with volts) it'd be 84Ah sucked out of the battery. As you don't really want a LiFePO4 battery to be outside of 10% to 90% charged (so 80Ah available in your case), that 84Ah is more than your battery can give without excessively shortening its life.

Don't even bother to think about running the fridge on 12V power without the engine running. Your 100Ah system will be fine for lights and radio etc for a couple of days, and that's it.

You might do a but better than this

The draw will be 7A x hours * duty cycle, which will depend on the temperature , by the typically 33-50%

7A seems high , though, they typically pull 2-3A once started.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
fxr wrote:
howler9 wrote:

The draw will be 7A x hours * duty cycle, which will depend on the temperature , by the typically 33-50%

Abs I think the fridge is the stock Dometic using the 12V heater element. Not a low energy use compressor fridge Dometic.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
fxr wrote:
howler9 wrote:

No duty cycle on the old Dometic. It takes 7A continuous. There's no thermostat control.
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

A/C was struggling, suspected low refrigerant.
Found Schraeder valves were leaking, tightened both.
Recharged A/C w/ 2.5 lb R134a.
Now compressor cycles on for 30 seconds or so, then shuts off.
Eventually blows coldish air.

What could be the culprit?

Note Subie compressor was plumbed to VW system by P.O. at motor swap with conversion high and low pressure fittings installed.

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 129, 130, 131 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Page 130 of 193

Jump to: